? about Neurontin - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? about Neurontin ? about Neurontin

Unread 11-30-2005, 10:06 PM
? about Neurontin

Thank you Ruby. I hope you do get your pain under control. We all deserve that. My neuro surgeon doesn't know what else to do. My surgery site and the rods, screws, bone graft look great. We both think it is nerves doing it. I do hope the Neurontin helkps it. He said it takes about two weeks to really kick in. Do you know if there is a time limit to be on it or can you be on it forever? I do otice it makes me tired, but I need to get used to it. I can't imagine next week when I am on 1800 mg a day. I've had ongoing abdominal pain issues since my hyst 18 months ago, so I am hoping this will help that too.
I know I can't return to work like this. I know I am early in my recovery, but my dr. said witht his minimally invasive surgery I should be much better than I am. Right now I am off until Feb., but I think it will be longer. I also have carpel in both hands(confirmed on EMG)that need surgery.I will do that while I am off recovering.
Good luck!! You have been through so much.
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2005, 11:43 PM
? about Neurontin

Hey Peggy!

You are so right about none of us deserve this, but we do try and comfort each other, don't we? My dr had told me the same thing about 2 weeks for the Neurontin to kick in, but for me, it kicked in within a couple of days. When I asked my dr if it was a placebo effect or it really was kicking in, she said it definitely could be kicking in (at least I wasn't crazy on that!)

I think you told me you were on 900 mg now...and your dr wants you up to 1800 by next week? You definiately need to talk to him/her about raising you up a little more slowly than that. Speaking from previous experience years ago when I had Bells Palsy..they put me on a higher dose right off the bat (don't remember the dosage) but I had major side effects from it. You may be experiencing some of them now but they are mild. I call them Neurontin brain...trouble recalling things when on the spot, brain fog and like you've noticed fatigue. You can go to www.webmd.com to see a full list of side effects. So, MY OPINION, is that you need to keep increasing the doses slowly. Those side effects can come up quickly and bite you in the butt without you even knowing. Because I had severe side effects to Neurontin years ago I have denied being put on it again until recently. We started very slowly this time and I have noticed slight effects with the most major one being the fatigue...eternal tiredness is what I call it. I don't know if our bodies ever get used to it as I have read of people taking another med to counteract the fatigue. This is just my two cents and a little bit of forewarning.

I am glad to hear that all went well with the last surgery and that everything that can be seen is clear.

Good luck to you and big hugs!
Unread 12-01-2005, 02:44 PM
? about Neurontin

My GP said I could take Neurontin forever. I agree with titrating very slowly to reduce side effects. I took 3600 mg. and some take more per my neurologist's advice and didn't notice much difference regarding fatigue. I do prefer Lyrica, Neurontin's new formula--less sedating and brain fogginess. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2005, 09:58 PM
? about Neurontin

I've been on 1800 mg neurontin for a couple days now. I don't notice any bad side effects. I have no fatigue at all. I have the opposite. I never feel tired and could stay up all night. I go to bed at 2 or so and am awake by 7am and am not tired. It could have something to do with the anxiety I experience too. I have noticed since I started taking the neurontin how much better I am feeling. My back still hurts pretty bad, but haven't had nearly as many spasms. I start PT in the morning. I hope I learn some ner techniques to help me deal with everyday living. My dr. said no housework until Jan. That is rough. I have been bad and been doing laundry and other stuff the last week or so. I really need to quit it, because I know that is what is bringing on the annoying pain.
Did any of you experience insomnia with neurontin?
Peggy
Unread 12-06-2005, 10:57 PM
? about Neurontin

Hey Peggy!

Love your little Christmas tree! I'm on 900mg/day...so that's one pill 3x/day...when you take 1800 do you take 2 pills 3x/day? I've never experienced the anxiety, I've been quite the opposite with the eternal tiredness. My only other side effect has been a tiny bit of brain fog...seems as though I can barely do any addition in head anymore.

Peggy, you have got to hire a housecleaner. Don't use one of the main services like Merry Maid, etc. They cost way too much. Look in your local newspaper or on Craigslist.com. you can hire them to do the vaccuuming, scrubbing and even laundry. It will really take that pressure off of you and let you do as the dr ordered. You know that you need to be careful so that you don't hurt yourself any more than you already are.

Hugs to you!
Unread 12-07-2005, 04:19 PM
? about Neurontin

I take 1800-2400 mg of Neurontin per day plus Cymbalta, Topromax and Daypro (anti-inflammatory) for two conditions-pelvic pain of unknown origin ( started 3 yrs ago, post TAH) and neuropathy that started at the incision site and is now all over my torso, legs & feet. I am in excrutiating pain and so fatugued I had to quit work and driving a month ago. Today I got my pelvic MRI results-small ovarian cysts-"not enough to cause pain" says the radiologist. Also, degenerative lumbar & sacral disks. Could adhesions cause this severe pain? I had serious blod clot after hyst, dr doesn't want to do another surgery unless absolutely warranted. My life is in suspension. No holiday preparations parties, etc. By the way, Lyrica "sent me to Venus"-non-stop!! Any suggestions for pain relief would be appreciated. I love this site.
Unread 12-07-2005, 06:30 PM
? about Neurontin

mtdewpeg, I have a prescription for neuronten, and
I did try it a couple of times, and it didn't make me a
bit tired, and I think if I had a higher dose it would have
made me energetic, I typically have the opposite affect
of most people. Hydrocodone revs me up which is a good thing, because I need the pain relief and the energy. I guess I should try the neuronten again, I only
took it a couple of times and it was only 300mg.
Can I take it with my pain meds, until it starts to work?
Unread 12-07-2005, 08:17 PM
? about Neurontin

I typically have the opposite reaction to most medications also. Naccotic pain medication as well as dental anesthesia wires me up! It took me awhile to figure out that I didn't have chronic fatigue just a reaction to Neurontin, etc. Yes, since Neur. is a seizure med it is considered OK to take with pain meds (check with your own dr before adding or changing medications). Do you have neuropathy? My surgery was 3 yrs ago but I still have numbness and pain at the scar site (an oxymoron).
I feel like "something is wrong" inside my pelvic area but the drs haven't found anything so far. My pain is worse with sitting and almost gone during sleep. Surprisingly, an ice pack helps...heat seems to stir it up. I look kind of funny with an ice pack under my winter coat!! One day I will find it amusing.
Unread 12-08-2005, 05:08 PM
? about Neurontin

txfriend, join the club! I have had pelvic pain ever
since my hyst 5 yrs. ago. Feel like a knife is sticking
straight up thru my vagina, and rectum. There is
also pressure. I had an enterocele, and it took them
3 years, and 11 medical professionals to find it. But
when I would sit down, and riding in a car was unbearable, because I basically was sitting on my colon.
The repair did help the feeling of something stuck up
in my vagina, but I still have pain, and it is probably
adhesions. As I sit here I am struggling to stay here one
more minute. While I had the enterocele, I had neuropathy in on the top of my foot, and then in my
hands, burned and was really painful.
All that bowel just flops down, after they take out the
uterus, so it could be enterocele, rectocele, or cystocele. The Dr.s just don't have a clue about these
pelvic issues. There are so many nerves in there and
they all seem to be connnected, which is why it is hard
to diagnose, and what can they possibly diagnose when
they only spend about 6 minutes with you. I am so sick
of the medical field, I don't think they should take your
money if they can't help you, they might be a little more
motivated.
Unread 12-08-2005, 06:19 PM
? about Neurontin

SLT, maybe there IS someone out there who has experienced my pelvic pain! The key word is "sit". I have described this "knife" pain shooting up through my vagina to no less than six gynecologists! None of them see to "get it". I am doubled over in pain while sitting not to mention driving a car. Standing or lying down is OK. All my pelvic exams, CT scans and MRI are "normal". How did you get diagnosed? I have been in this pain for three years-how many doctors would live like this? Did you have digestive symptoms related to the colon? Thanks for giving me some encouragement--after a while, you do start thinking it "might be in my head"!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register