Catheter Bag or Self-Catheter??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Catheter Bag or Self-Catheter??? Catheter Bag or Self-Catheter???

Unread 10-11-2005, 06:35 AM
Catheter Bag or Self-Catheter???

Hi Girls,

Well I have read many stories from others and it seems that most ladies seem to come home with catheter bags (if there are bladder probs) rather than self-catheterising.

I had my op 7 days ago(vag hysterectomy with bladder repair) and the catheter was taken out after 2 days. I was totally unable to pee so the catheter was put back in overnight. The next morning it was taken out again but I was still not able to go. So I was taught how to self-catheterise...it didnt take long and isnt that bad...and I have been doing that since (for the past 3 days)..

I am just wondering why most people on here are sent home with the catheter bag, whereas I was taught to do it every couple of hours...much less fuss than carrying around a bag....

Interested to hear from you....

Tracey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2005, 07:25 AM

Tracey
I was sent home with a catheter too. I was told to keep it capped off during the day. I was also told to uncap it every 2-3 hours and empty it. This helps to get your bladder going right again. I only used the bag at night, so I wouldn't have to get up every 2-3 hours. By 1 week the swelling had gone down and the catheter came out.
I don't understand either why so many of the ladies had to carry the bag around.
Peggy
Unread 10-11-2005, 07:29 AM

If the bladder is actually repaired, it needs to stay as empty as possible so that it can heal. That's why some of us have to carry the bags around. I couldn't let my bladder get full or the repairs wouldn't hold. If it's just a matter of not being able to urinate, then it isn't harmful to let the bladder fill up, so you can cap the cath off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2005, 01:40 PM

I had a cystocele repair and a tvt done. Due to all of the nasty scar tissue around my bladder the tvt needles hit my bladder on both sides and caused small perforations. My dr. didn't repair them though.
I can see where your bladders would need to stay completely empty.
Peggy
Unread 10-11-2005, 09:20 PM

Thanks for your help...now I get it!!

Didnt realise that your bladders needed to stay empty...I did have a bladder repair but it must have been fairly minor...as I just use a small tube (bout 6 inches long)...lubricate it, then pop it in myself...takes about 2 mins max...and then I am right to go.....

I probably have to do this every four hours....my dr doesnt want it to fill past 500ml....as then it will make my bladder heavy...

My reasons for needing a catheter all come down to the fact that for some reason, although I feel well, I am just unable to go on my own.

Hopefully once the swelling goes down even further over the next couple of days I will be able to go on my own..

Thanks for your help ladies,
Tracey
Unread 10-11-2005, 09:40 PM

Tasha, you're not the only one. I also was taught to self-cath with my TVH and bladder repairs last June. I did not have to wear the bag but was told I might have to depending on how my bladder reacted. I retained over 100cc's but not more than 200 so I was told how to self-cath. I only had to do it until I was retaining less than 100cc's which was for only 1 day after coming home so I was very lucky in that one respect. I did get a bad post-op infection with other complications and had to go back in the hospital 4 days after being discharged for and extra 4 days. It all depends on what your doctor thinks and how you personally react to the specific surgery you have. Hope your bladder starts working better ASAP
Unread 10-12-2005, 02:35 AM

Glad to hear you are doing ok after your op. I'm just curious from one Aussie to another, how long were you in hospital for?
Lilly
Unread 10-15-2005, 08:20 AM

Thanks for all your advice everyone!! Its so nice to hear from you all.

Lilly, I had my op on Tuesday 4th October and came home on Saturday afternoon. So total of 4 days in hospital.

I had a hysterectomy (ovaries left) and 2 repairs. Its been 12 days now and I still cannot do a wee on my own. Its not difficult to use the catheter but I am starting to wonder what the problem could be. I get the ordinary urge to go, sit down and try but nothing gives. I was quite swollen initially but that seems to have really settled down now and I just cant understand why everythings going along so well, except that.

How are you going with your op, Lilly? Look forward to hearing from you.

Tracey
Unread 10-15-2005, 12:02 PM

I came home with a suprapubic catheter..the kind that comes out of a hole in the abdomen. I had it for 9 days I think. No fun..I really didn't have a choice...that's just what my urogyn always does.

Sherry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register