Dizziness.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-14-2005, 02:20 PM
Dizziness..

Hi.. i posted a week or two ago about dizziness problems. There was some mystery to why some of us are getting unexplained dizzy spells. Mine continued, so I went to my primary care doctor yesterday and she said that I had benign positional vertigo. She prescribed Flonase for it ( I guess my sinuses are contributing to the problem). She said if symptoms dont improve, off to ear/nose/throat. I was getting dizzy when I would first get up from a sitting position, and even when I got up out of bed in the morning. It should subside soon, but I wanted to check back in to let some of the ladies who responded to my problem before, to know what was causing it. Thank you again for your constant support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2005, 02:52 PM
Dizziness..

Dear Joan of Arch,

Dizziness as you describe from a sitting or laying position can also be due to orthostatic hypotension.

This is when your blood pressure can take a drop when you sit up or stand up too quickly. Alot of things can contribute to this including pain meds, anemia- even the lingering affects of anethesia.

Hopefull it will clear up on its own.

Best wishes in your recovery.

Sweet Pea in SC

TAH /BSO 9/19/05 due to large fibroid uterus weighing 1238 gms, endo and adeno. Vertical incision.
Unread 10-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Dizziness..

oh yes i had that for about a month and a half, 2 years ago! the doctor thought it was an inner ear infection but after it lasting so long they did an mri and it turned out my sinuses where terribly infected and just completely blocked! lotsa antibiotics and i was better! hope yours doesnt get that bad, i couldnt even stand up!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Dizziness..

Hi, I thought I was going nuts with my dizziness too!! I am 3 weeks postop, and the last week I have been getting really dizzy when standing up too quickly from either sitting or laying down. It happens everyday. I have to hold myself up against a wall to steady myself and then it quickly passes. Hope you get better soon
Unread 10-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Dizziness..

When i got dizzy it would come and go at first, then they would come and stay for minutes at a time. I went to my doc thinking my equlibrum was off but he told me that i have Anxiety disorder and i have to take Lexapro for it and also for mood swings... Im now starting to wonder if the doc was right.???
Unread 10-15-2005, 01:08 PM
Dizziness..

Hi Clueless,

Just a question..do you actually feel like you're having mood swings or anxiety? I guess I am leary of those kinds of diagnoses only because a doc first diagnosed me with a psychiatric disorder and told me it was 'all in my head' and I need to relax more with my partner!!! Good luck....HUGS...

Melissa
Unread 10-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Dizziness..

I have dizziness for a few reasons--sometimes it is my blood pressure as Sweet Pea in SC mentioned. I also have it from sinus/ear infections as was mentioned. I also have it when my sugar is too low. And when I was anemic after my hyst. All of which I had extensively after my hyst, but I have dealt with the dizziness symptoms off and on for as long as I can remember.

I take my allergy and sinus meds daily (my nasal spray is Rhinoquart, i hate the smell and taste of Flonase). Also, when I am getting up from laying down, I am to get into a sitting position slowly. Sit for a few seconds, then slowly stand. No jumping up out of bed or even out of a chair--if I do, the world spins and at times goes black! I have to watch my diet to attempt to keep my sugar level. And I have to pay attention to any changes in my sinuses from allergies.

It is helpful if you can keep a log about your dizziness--when you felt dizzy, what had you been doing, did you black out--if you did, did your vision spot out or tunnel out--or did everything just spin? What had you ate? How have you been feeling prior to the episode?

Best wishes with the Flonase and with an ear, nose, throat if you need one. My best friend sees an ENT for her allergies and he has helped her a lot. Her dizziness turned out to be from lack of oxygen because she has become ashmatic.
Unread 10-15-2005, 03:21 PM
Dizziness..

If the dizziness continues as you are healing, do a search on the web. There are some exercises that you can do for this type of dizziness that help to balance things out. I had something similar that started about 2 years ago. They ran all kinds of different types of tests and never found anything. I do still have it once in awhile, but a neurologist gave me these exercises. Some of them you could do now, because you just are shifting your head side to side. On some of them you'd need to wait until you are healed from the hyst because you have to sit back really fast on a bed (I don't think your tummy would like that too much now!). If you don't find anything on the web and are interested, let me know, then I'll can look for it for you. I found a lot of good stuff on it.

Hope you feel better soon!

Kristi
Unread 10-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Dizziness..

I agree with the last post - the exercises sound like the same ones I did - I had a fall 5 years ago and developed a type of postional vertigo - My neurologist had me do these 'stretches' on my back and in less than a week the dizziness went away - I never had to take anything at all. I wish I still had the sheet on the stretches. Good Luck to you - that is a terrible feeling - mine was the worst when I closed my eyes in the shower.
Unread 10-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Dizziness..

hi again...i also have to say that the one time I was dizzy in the past, my doctor said that I had seasonal affective disorder ( not feeling any depression/mood swings/loss of appetite/ or sleep for that matter) but she said I had that anyway. ??? hello? so I went to a different dctr in group, and he goes and prescribed Zoloft for me to take because he thought that I was depressed. Tried that - guess what? Still dizzy.
In any case, I finally went to the doctor that I have now, and have had since I got rid of the last two, and after I told her what the other two said, she actually laughed. She said it was not either of those two things. Just wanted to chime in on the whole "dizzy? you are a woman, you must be depressed" bs. Ok..I am going to read the rest tomorrow morning - and will get back. I promise!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register