Bladder Spasms??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder Spasms??? Bladder Spasms???

Unread 10-15-2005, 01:15 AM
Question - Bladder Spasms??? Bladder Spasms???

Hi - just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced bladder spasms and what they did to treat them? It's not that big of a deal and I feel bad even complaining about it when I know there are women going through much worse, but its kind of annoying and I don't know why it's happening. Sometimes it feels like all of a sudden somebody is squeezing my bladder and for a second or two I feel like I really really have to go - then it passes and I'm fine. Sometimes after I go, two seconds later I feel like I have to go again, even though I know I don't...it's weird. I've been checked for bladder infections and the tests come back normal. I mentioned it to my gyn and he said it was just a result of surgery. Told me to do my Kegels (incidentally, how do you know if you're doing it right??) and said if it gets worse he can give me a prescription to deal with it. I'm only 28 and don't really want to take a pill for bladder problems yet... Anyone else feel like this? Is there anything that makes it feel better? What causes it??
Thanks for listening...
J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Did you have any bladder work done?

Hi there

I had to have a suspension done on my bladder with my hyster. I had spasms for several months after the hyster. I understand that even with out bladder work done, you experience bladder spasms for quite a while. If you GYN has found nothing wrong, you may just need more healing time.

As for doing kegels correctly. The best way to get started on understand what mussles to contract and release is to stop urin mid stream. Using the mussles that you would use to stop yourself from pee'ing are the mussles you want to work on. Once you understand which mussles your using. You can do them whenever. No one can tell your doing them Contract, hold for 10 seconds then release slowly. This is how the GYN explained them to me when I was prego the first time.

Good luck and wishing you the best

Michele
Unread 10-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Bladder Spasms???

Thanks for the info - I was too embarassed to ask my doc about the Kegel thing!! No, I didn't have any bladder work done, and at my last appt he said everything looked okay. I told him I was worried about bladder problems and he just kind of blew me off...I don't mean to overreact, but I really don't like not knowing what's going on, you know? I had my hyst two years ago and have had the problem on and off since then...Sigh. Guess I'll try doing Kegels like I'm supposed to and maybe it will resolve on its own... Thanks for listening!
J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2005, 03:36 PM
Bladder Spasms???

I was having some bladder spasms. (I was also diagnosed with IC in May). My doc gave me Ditropan XL. There are several meds for this. I only took it for a month and it stopped the spasms. That was just one step on the way to trying to soothe my bladder. If you are having bladder pain you should make your doctor listen or get another one. It can be very physically and emotionally draining. Good Luck!
Unread 10-15-2005, 09:47 PM
Bladder Spasms???

On the kegals - make sure you aren't contracting your stomach muscles while holding - it should only be your vaginal muscles. Since you have been 2 years and the spasms aren't going away (you are very patient by the way) I would ask the urologist what can be done - maybe you would only need to take the meds for a short time to give your bladder a rest. Good Luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register