progesterone only now...estrogen was high...WITHOUT TAKING ESTROGEN!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

progesterone only now...estrogen was high...WITHOUT TAKING ESTROGEN!! progesterone only now...estrogen was high...WITHOUT TAKING ESTROGEN!!

Unread 10-15-2005, 09:39 AM
progesterone only now...estrogen was high...WITHOUT TAKING ESTROGEN!!

Hello everyone,
Was wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience. I am 37 years old and had a total hysterectomy 3 1/2 years ago. I have felt fortunate to have the results I've had to date...no serious symptoms or side effects. Since my operation I have taken the lowest doses of bio-identical hormones I could. I only took small amounts (a "dab") of progesterone cream and a tiny bit of estriol (not estradiol). All in all, I felt pretty darn good over the years. Then it changed...

About 4-5 months ago, I started showing signs of estrogen dominance. I started bloating, gaining weight only around my mid-section, high anxiety and extremely painful breasts (like when I was pregnant). On my own, I recognized these as signs of excessive estrogen, so I quit taking the little bit of estrogen I was currently on. But I didn't feel any better...

Finally, I couldn't stand it anymore. I read up on saliva testing and found a company I was comfortable with. I took the test and checked for estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA and cortisol. GUESS WHAT?? My theories were correct...my estrogen, DHEA and testosterone were extremely high/out of range.

So...I upped my progesterone to 1/2 tsp. cream twice per day and it's as if a fog has lifted. In a week my jeans fit better, the anxiety is gone, my breast pain is subsiding and a bonus...my libido came back full force.

I have talked to two "professionals" who have explained (as I have believed in since my hysterectomy) that I have plenty of estrogen in my body. But, with ovaries gone, I am lacking progesterone. Progesterone peaks around ovulation (which was my highest libido time before my hysterectomy). I know there is a lot of debate on progesterone out there. I do want to say that I've barely taken any estrogen for 3 1/2 years, and have had a really smooth ride overall. Why my estrogen started going up on its own, I don't know.

I am currently waiting on a compounded prescription of 50mg progesterone, so that I don't spend tons of money on the OTC tube of progesterone I currently use.

Is anyone else out there experiencing the same thing?

Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2005, 11:29 AM

I had a hysterectomy approx 14 yrs ago and for the most part I have went without hormones. Just within the last couple of years I have been experimenting with bioidentical hormones. I have always said I felt like I didn't need much estrogen. I have been on a combination of est/pro/test and only taking just a very small drop (about 1/8th of the dosage) as any more I couldn't seem to tolerate or find balance. About a couple of weeks ago I went to a dr that did saliva testing and have been waiting for her response. Last night this dr left a message with my answering service and explained that my tests came back and that my estrogen was within range and to only take my progesterone. She wanted to discuss this more with me next week. I thought this seemed odd, since I hardly take any estrogen at all. So it was nice to see your post today, because I thought maybe my tests were screwed up. This must explain why I couldn't tolerate much estrogen. The only thing is I wonder is if anyone does just fine on progesterone only? I also had dropped way back on my progesterone because I thought maybe it was making things worse like depression, wgt gain, etc.??? Boy, am I confused But it is nice to know that I am not alone! Did you quit your estrogen all together and only taking progesterone and/or testosterone?
Unread 10-15-2005, 12:22 PM

Hi Jalex,
In answer to your question, I did stop taking what little bio-identical estrogen gel I was taking about four months ago. What led me to hormone testing (which I realize is not an exact science) was due to the fact that I still had unusual symptoms of estrogen dominance...even without taking any estrogen. I was terribly confused and knew it was time to get some labwork done. The tests showed increased estrogen, testosterone and DHEA. It wasn't until I talked to my compounding pharmacist and increased my progesterone cream that I began to feel "back to normal" again.

It takes a lot of research, experimentation and questioning to find what works...but in my 3 1/2 years of tackling hormones, I can say that I have had a pretty smooth journey compared to others. I think the estrogen dominance theory makes sense WHEN THERE ARE NO OVARIES TO PRODUCE PROGESTERONE, which is essential to balancing out excessive estrogen that is made throughout the body...those who still have healthy, functioning ovaries have a different road to follow, I guess.

The good that has come from this is that I am inspired to question the medical profession. If I had listened to my ob/gyn, I'd still be taking high doses of premarin with no progesterone (I threw my prescription out the first week because I'd studied a lot about the risks of synthetics prior to my hyterectomy). I guess you have to be a "hormone rebel" with all of the conflicting messages out there.

I go with what makes sense and what my body tells me is right...the only hormone my body has accepted is progesterone...that tells me that I need it. When I tried just a little testosterone, I had every possible side effect of dominance. When I had too much estrogen, the same holds true. But with progesterone, my body says yes!!! Sad to say, but I think if we listened to our bodies more than our doctors we'd be better off! There are, in my opinion, too many of us with reproductive and breast cancers, too many of us suffering from unexplained weight gain around the waist/hips, too much depression...too many people I know taking some form of hormones (birth control, pre-menopause) that are loaded with estrogen...

I know a lot of people are appalled at the idea of no estrogen due to its presumed health benefits and how easily our doctors give it to girls from adolescence (birth control) through post-menopause (it's gotta be good for us, right?..our doctors give it to our kids)but why do so many american women suffer from breast cancer at such young ages compared to other parts of the world? I've seen many medical professionals agree one at least one point... that unopposed estrogen causes cellular changes...

Whew...sorry I kept on rolling...it's a hard road to go on when you don't get support from your medical community as a whole. I guess I'm used to explaining myself in a long-winded fashion, to defend my position. I hope my explanation helped???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2005, 01:41 PM

It's my understanding that estrogen is stored in body fat, able to be used after the ovaries are gone. Also, the adrenal glands kick in to up the estrogen levels. In addition.....if you have the right enzymes....our bodies can convert progesterone to estrogen.

Until my perimenopause, I never realized how extremely significant all those chemicals are in our bods! I am still learning...........Deb
Unread 10-15-2005, 02:08 PM

Hmmm.
This has me rethinking everything. I have some of the symptoms that you are mentioning. The sore breasts, the weight gain in the middle, yada, yada, yada..... I know my estrogen is high, because I didnt have any night sweats or hot flashes on the lowest dose avaliable(menostar) but I was dragging butt. with the help of my doc, we switched to estratest Hs. The energy that the test. gives me is great, but have noticed more bloating, soreness, and weight in the middle.....
Hmmmmm.
snickers
Unread 10-17-2005, 02:23 PM

I am going on the bioidenticals and the salvia test came back that my estrogen level as ok. Can you tell me what happened with your weight after not taking estrogen and taking just those that you are. Thanks!
Unread 10-17-2005, 02:50 PM

Hi...I'll be glad to tell you my experience...I had gone about three years post hysterectomy staying rather "normal" (I'm very tall and quite lean). Then I began gaining weight only around my mid-section...wasn't eating more or do anything differently...I just kept growing! In addition, my breasts became sore and everything felt bloated/tight (rings, etc.). After one week of only progesterone cream (and a double dose), I felt sooo much better. Almost immediately the "water" feeling went away, jeans weren't as tight, etc. All I am taking is progesterone now. Really, I've never taken much in the form of estrogen anyway...it's mainly been a dab of progesterone cream. I feel very lucky to have been so "normal" all of this time. I sure hope my reply helps...feel free to ask more questions if I missed anything!!
Unread 10-17-2005, 07:50 PM

I have the opposite reaction with progesterone. I get very fogged in and depressed and sleepy when I ad progesterone to the regime and sex drive really goes by by.
Unread 10-17-2005, 08:15 PM

I have to say that progesterone has really increased my libido. I haven't suffered too badly with libido in general but the brain/fantasy part had really dropped off (physically, no problems/changes).

What was interesting was looking at a chart my doctor gave me recently, showing where progesterone peaks around the time of ovulation. This was always my "biggest libido" time during my cycle, prior to my hysterectomy. It was truly a high to take progesterone and get that "libido" feeling back mentally.

I've heard others say just the opposite, too. I was reading another thread from Linda and she had said it depends on where your estrogen level is, which makes sense. Mine was high...progesterone got me back to earth. My body always responded wonderfully to high progesterone times prior to my surgery. Maybe if estrogen is low, it is way too sedating??

Good luck to all of us!!
Unread 10-18-2005, 05:48 AM

When I started taking compounded progesterone and testosterone, I realized it was actually the progesterone responsible for my increase in libido. That was one real perk to taking it. It does make sense because before surgery that the times when I was most interested in sex was during the progesterone surge in the cycle. All part of God's master plan which is so amazing to me.

I am wondering if your high estrogen NN is due to the fact that the progesterone you were using was converting to estrogen because your estrogen was low. Progesterone does have the ability to convert into estrogen. Just a thought.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register