What's ok for me to do around the house? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What's ok for me to do around the house? What's ok for me to do around the house?

Unread 10-15-2005, 12:37 PM
What's ok for me to do around the house?

Hi,
I had an abdominal hysterectomy on Sept. 27 and have been doing great. Home on the 3rd day, stopped pain meds in the hospital except for Motrin for a few nights the first week home. My incision is healing really well, too. I'm taking it very easy. I have started taking short walks, and I've been going up and down the stairs at home frequently since I got home (the computer is upstairs from the living room couch!). I have been very careful to not lift more than a 1/2 gallon of milk and to avoid over stretching to reach things. If I have to bend I squat down first. Basically all I do is read, knit, watch dvds, play on the computer and talk on the phone. I have paid bills, made simple meals (sandwiches, eggs, soups)and cleaned up after myself, and folded & put away laundry. I always get my husband or daughter to push/pull/lift anything heavy.

All in all I feel quite good, I know I've been really lucky to be doing so well. I'm a teacher and will go back to work after 5 weeks off. My question for everyone is what can I do around the house now that I'm about 2 1/2 weeks post op? And what can I begin to do in another week or so? I still get tired in the early evenings but, as I said, I'm super careful to not overdo anything.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Hi Theabelle,
Have you checked out the checkpoints on this site? They are really helpful.
I had surgery the same day and I'm a teacher, too! I'm subbing again this year, so I can pick and choose what days I want to work depending on how I fell. I was supposed to have a long-term position starting Monday, but the teacher ended up having her baby 2 weeks early. The school ended up hiring another sub since I couldn't.That really bummed me out. When I was talking to my doc about surgery I was really concerned about being able to go teach after just 3 weeks recuperation, but he seemed to think I should be fine. I did call the district on Friday and told them I'd be available next week. Like I said, I can take a day off whenever I feel like it. I have been feeling stronger every day. The only thing I'm really restricted from is heavy lifting or anything that puts strain on my stomach (vacuuming, sweeping). I'm pretty much doing what I did before surg. (cooking, cleaning, laundry...except carrying the basket) I do notice that if I do too much, I get swelly belly and also get tired.

Well, keep up the good work! I hope your recovery continues to go well.

God bless,
Madonna
Unread 10-15-2005, 02:08 PM

I have been in your same situation, an abdonimal with a total hysterectomy (cancerous cells are now gone). I also teach and was out for 6 weeks. I've been back for 2.
My doctor said that until 4 weeks had passed, I should not lift, push, pull, drag or carry anything much heavier than a loaf of bread.
Folding clothes was ok, but I was not to bend to sort nor to lift them from the washer to the dryer.
He said that I could gradually begin doing things around the house as long as it didn't hurt. He said that my body would tell me when I was doing too much, and he was right. There is still a little sharp twinge that I get if I do something that I shouldn't do.
He also told me not to drive until I did this: Sit in the car in the driveway. Pretend to be driving and pretend that a little child has run out in front of the car. If I can step on the brake suddenly without wondering whether it would cause me pain, then I am ready. If I first think, should I or not, then I'm not ready to drive.
I'm the kind of person who hates to sit and do nothing, so I really had to watch myself. What my doctor explained, and what you absolutely must remember is that even though the stitches have healed and you feel great on the outside, it take months for all parts to heal on the inside. That's the part that is hard to keep in mind, especially when you feel better and better each day.
My fellow teachers have been so helpful (I teach in high school) and instead of teaching three classes per day, I teach only two and have two free periods. This has helped tremendously. The first few days I was exhausted. There is quite a difference between recovering at home and standing in front of class and walking the halls.
Hope you will continue to do well. We are both fortunate; many are having a difficult time.
Take care. Tubman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2005, 02:45 PM

thanks for the advice.
Tubman, I teach 7th grade, 5 classes and won't be able to cut back. I might work 2 days, take 1 off and then work 2 the first week, to make sure I don't over do it. We have such a draining job that I decided to take off 5 weeks, even though it seems like I could go back after 4 I'm going to be cautious.

I like your tip about driving, I knew not to drive if I thought slamming on the brakes would hurt, but "practicing" an emergency is a good idea.

I'm really careful about the bending and the minute stretching for something hurts (like something in the cabinet) I stop and get help.

I'm not having a problem keeping busy, in fact I'm enjoying being lazy so much that I'm not getting some paperwork done that needs to be taken care of soon.

thanks to you both for your helpful replies
theabelle
Unread 10-15-2005, 07:25 PM

You are smart to take the 5 weeks. You will never regret it, and your body will have more down time to recover. I know what you mean about the being lazy part. I watched television, worked crossword puzzles and crocheted a baby blanket for my daughter. (I'll be a grandmother for the first time in Jan. so I'm really looking forward to that.) I didn't worry about school until the time came to go back. Working every other day sounds like a good plan.
Continue feeling well and have a safe recovery. Tubman

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register