Pain medication | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain medication Pain medication

Unread 10-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Pain medication

I am curious as to what kind of pain medication you were giving to assist you with pain management when you arrived home. TIA
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2005, 04:08 PM
Pain medication

My Dr. was going to prescribe something for me, but I reminded her that I had Darvocet from a D&C procedure that she performed in May. Thank goodness, I only had to take two. They made me have weird dreams! I did take 800mg of Motrin for about a week. Thought that would be good for swelling and the healing tissues. I already had that prescription for heaving menustral bleeding, and she did say I could take those if needed.
Unread 10-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Pain medication

30 percodan tablets (wish it had been 45)

I had 3 days of unmanaged pain in castle (my anesthesia reversal agent shouldn't have been combined with my particual castle post-op medicines!). So I was sent home in more pain than should have been.

I had severe adhesions attaching bowel, bladder, long intestine and some other 4th organ. Because of that repair, the doctor said to expect a longer and more painful recovery. And she was right. Those 30 percodan tablets were gone by 7 days post-op.

I had a TAH for adonomyosis, 5x7 fibroid, severe adhesions, severe bleeding and pain (not helped by percadan) 2 weeks of each month, endometrial polyps, painful, elarged, prolapsed uterus that was pressing on rectum (caused painful rectal pressure during period) and endosalpingiosis.

The good news is that even though my first 8 days post-op were very painful, I am 11 days post-op now and I feel better now than I've felt in years. I no longer need pain medication, not even over the counter stuff.

Yes, I'll be stuck in bed for a few more weeks (my previous six abdominal surgeries resulted in severe adhesions, so I'm trying to prevent that this time by staying as imobile as possibe for four weeks).

But I'm so glad I had the TAH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Pain medication

When I went on oral pain meds in the hospital it was Extra Strength (750mg) Vicodine which I was also sent home with. When I went to the doctor to have the staples out 9 days later he gave me an Rx for the regular strength Vicodin (500mg).

s
Unread 10-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Pain medication

I was sent home with regular strength vicodin (500mg) and 600mg motrins. They really did the trick for me.
Unread 10-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Pain medication

Before I went in, I filled a perscription for Percoset. I never had to take them and did quite well on a 200 mg Advil 3 times a day.
Unread 10-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Pain medication

First they gave me percoset...they make me itch...dr chaneg it to tylenol with codeine...
Unread 10-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Pain medication

Well at least you ladies got the opportunity to take some high power med's. I can't have any of that so I had 800mg of motrin and 500 of advil around the clock. I guess, I would say by week 3 I was managing w/o any meds.

dbenton
TVH/BSO-everything is gone;hrt.
Unread 10-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Pain medication

I was given Lortab which is similar to Vicodin. My doc was great and told me she'd give me whatever I needed for pain control as that was my greatest fear. I found out in the castle that I have zero tolerance for Motrin, which is often given in conjunction with the heavier duty meds, so Lortab was it for me.

Sometimes at bedtime I still need to take one if my belly is really sore.
Unread 10-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Pain medication

I have taken only 800 mg. Motrins since coming home from the hospital.

I am now down to 2 a day and my TAH was on 9/19/05.

I only took 1 Darvocet in the hospital on night 2 in the castle, my PCA pump had been d/c'ed the am after surgery.

Best wishes

Sweet Pea in SC
TAH w/BSO. Vertical incision. Gaint fibroid uterus weighing 1238 gms. Found endo and adeno. Ovaries had adhered to lower bowel.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register