Pants Don't Fit | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pants Don't Fit Pants Don't Fit

Unread 10-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Pants Don't Fit

OK, this has me distressed. I'm 4 + weeks post. I tried to wear a pair of my jeans tonight to go to school for a meeting for my son (nothing bad, just about staying the college thing), got to school and realized I just couldn't handle them; they hurt too much. Came home and tried on a pair of my work pants, which had been fine, not tight or anything, prior to surgery and they didn't fit either. And it hurts too much to stuff myself into them. I haven't gained any wt. I'm actually down about 3 pounds from my presurgery wt. In the meantime I have to go back to work on Oct. 31 and I don't have a thing to wear, can't wear sweatpants, and don't want to lay out / don't have the money for clothing that, I hope anyway, I won't need in a month. I was almost in tears. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it take to get over it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Pants Don't Fit

It took me awhile before I could wear snug fitting pants again. Give yourself a break! You're only one month out, the healing takes time. You will be able to wear your clothes again, but don't torture yourself. You may have to buy a couple of loose fitting items.
Take care of yourself!
Unread 10-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Pants Don't Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi
It took me awhile before I could wear snug fitting pants again. Give yourself a break! You're only one month out, the healing takes time. You will be able to wear your clothes again, but don't torture yourself. You may have to buy a couple of loose fitting items.
Take care of yourself!
I'm hoping Walmart or Sears has a few things I can wear. I can just see my principal if I show up in sweats. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Pants Don't Fit

I am almost 8 weeks from my hysterectomy and 6 weeks from my second surgery. I've lost 15 pounds from my presurgery weight and yet I can't really fit into any of my pants for very long during the day either, except for sweatpants. I had a couple of loose tent like dresses and had my husband pick up a couple of more at Goodwill. I will be wearing these to work when I start back on Thursday. I, too, am hoping to be back into my normal pants soon. Take care and good luck!
Unread 10-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Pants Don't Fit

I though of that. I have a couple, but that means stockings and uncomfortable shoes. I'm kind of short, 5'2" so have a very hard time getting stockings that fit my, sigh, wt. but that are not too long such that they are not sagging around my ankles. Still, I have to go to work. My peers ended up covering my classes and it's been very hard for them.
Thanks for the support. I just want to know that I am not alone I guess, although I've been very brave throughout (except for the night I found bright red blood on my pad at 2 weeks) and in many ways have pretty much walzed (sp) through the whole thing when considering other peoples stories so I should be saying "There but for the grace of God go I" but this hit me when I was done I guess. Everyone tells you how good you're going to feel after (seems like most of the women in my building have been through it) but no one tells you how long it's gonna take to feel 100%.
Unread 10-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Pants Don't Fit

Hi, this is what we call "swelly belly". It's normal swelling in the tissues after surgery and can take months to totally disappear. For more information about swelly belly and what you can do to help it, check out this link: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view.php?s=&pg=postop About halfway down is an article I wrote years ago on swelly belly.

Hugs,

Lisa
Unread 10-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Pants Don't Fit

OK, I had previously read that, but since I had a vaginal hysterectomy I didn't think it would be as much of a problem, although I do think I'm worse at the end of the day, especially during the last few days when I've feel almost normal at the beginning. It also it never dawned on me that pants that had fit and were not tight before would not fit after and that the pressure would cause discomfort, OK pain. So, I get the bigger clothes and deal with it and look toward a bright future. I can do that. I better lose a few pounds though or my swelly belly isn't going to fit in my ski pants and those are too expensive to get a larger size. LOL Actually, I am also waiting for my Dr.'s OK to go back to PT and to start doing pelvic tilts again. I think that will help, but I'm not doing anything without his OK because I don't want to start all over again because I undid a repair.
Thanks for the hug. I needed it.
Unread 10-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Pants Don't Fit

Skieerteach,

How about just picking up two basic pair of black pants? You can realistically wear them for the whole work week. Just wear different tops everyday -- hopefully untucked.

I was broke when I started work. I spent six months wearing black pants every single day. Cute tops and sweater sets saved me! LOL
Unread 10-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Pants Don't Fit

Great idea! Thanks! I've got an Appleseed catalog here and I'm pretty sure they got some elastic waist type pants that will look OK and if I'm only getting a few I can probably buy from them and not have to go out.
Unread 10-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Pants Don't Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiierTeach
I though of that. I have a couple, but that means stockings and uncomfortable shoes. I'm kind of short, 5'2" so have a very hard time getting stockings that fit my, sigh, wt. but that are not too long such that they are not sagging around my ankles. Still, I have to go to work. My peers ended up covering my classes and it's been very hard for them.
Thanks for the support. I just want to know that I am not alone I guess, although I've been very brave throughout (except for the night I found bright red blood on my pad at 2 weeks) and in many ways have pretty much walzed (sp) through the whole thing when considering other peoples stories so I should be saying "There but for the grace of God go I" but this hit me when I was done I guess. Everyone tells you how good you're going to feel after (seems like most of the women in my building have been through it) but no one tells you how long it's gonna take to feel 100%.

Could you wear a long skirt with knee-highs?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register