Can anyone tell me what adhesions feel like? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can anyone tell me what adhesions feel like? Can anyone tell me what adhesions feel like?

Unread 10-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Can anyone tell me what adhesions feel like?

Hi Ladies

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the pain from adhesions feel like. I had a TAH in May 2003 kept ovaries. I have had some problems with cysts but this does not feel like the same pain. I kind of feel just a stretching kind of ache in my pelvic area and lower back. Sort of feels like menstrual cramps , my cysts definitely feel different. I don't know if stress makes it worse, I have been having problems with my anxiety again. When that happens everything just hurts more. I am going to my internist today to ask for prescriptions to have bloodwork done for all my hormone levels. I just read Suzanne Somers book and am really interested in bioidentical hormones. I know moste people say scar tissue is almost inevitable but I just want to know the best way to treat it. Also when I am laying down asleep at night I feel fine but when I start to move around during the day is when I feel the pain. I wonder if most of it is in my mind Sorry this was so long thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2005, 10:29 AM

Hi Taz!

Adhesion pain can manifest in many ways. To most people - it is almost a pulling or tugging feeling. And in my case it just aches. Sometimes I feel the tugging - but not always. And I do notice it more at certain times of day.

As far as I can tell - there is nothing I can do to make them better or worse. They just are what they are. (A pain in the rear!...or rather in the abdomen! )

Good luck at the doctor. I hope that you have not been inflicted with the adhesion monster! Just remember that you won't know for sure unless you actually have a lap. (They are not visible on CT's, MRI's, Ultrasounds, or Xrays. )

Take care!
s
Cortney
Unread 10-22-2005, 09:27 PM
radical

Taz,
The pain of adhesions...
In my case, I definately feel them if I stretch or pull something (like hanging out the washing for example).
I seem to have some pain there always, but have endo as well.
When I stretch for something that might be just a little out of my way, I feel a pulling/tugging sensation... sometimes more severe than others.
If I am standing up, the pain will immediately drop me to the floor. I suppose it sort of feels like pulling a tendon.
Stress definately makes mine worse.
I also get abdo swelling, but not sure whether it's the adhesions, or the endomestrosis.
Adhesions are very hard to treat, as the more ops you have, the more adhesions you get. (and denser)
I don't know if this helps you any, but I wish you all the best. We are all here for you.
GOD BLESS, 's IT'S NOT IN YOUR MIND!!!
LOVE RADICAL. xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2005, 07:02 AM

Thanks, I too think Imight have endo , I never did at least my doc did not say I did. I had my TAH due to huge fibroids that caused me to constantly bleed, I nver stopped , also had cyst on right ovary removed (kept ovaries) anyway the pain I describe to some of my friends say it sounds like endo. It seems to revolve around my cycle. It ids like intense menstrual cramps with the backache and everything. A heatin pad does help a little I sleep with it every night. Can you get endo after TAH if you didnt have it before Thanks again
Unread 10-23-2005, 05:58 PM

Taz,

My adhesion pain includes all of the above and also cramping (like menstrual cramps) I have also had nausea, bowel problems and trouble eating (because mine have been wrapped around my intestines). I hope you find out where your pain is coming from and feel better soon.

Sherry
Unread 10-23-2005, 08:08 PM
radical

Hi Taz,
I too, am like Miss Emma. (cramps, nausea and bowel problems)...
My adhesions are wrapped around my intestines too, which has caused countless bowel blockages and bowel obstructions.
My pain is relentless, it never stops.
I had a bit of endo before the T.A.H/BSO, but is worse now...
From what I have read in my research is, that the endo and the adhesions seem to "feed" off each other, and because I am also estrogen dominant, that feeds it even more...
The only way they can find these things is by laproscopy, as cmharmon has said.
Have you had a lap done before??? You can get the endo back if the surgeon has missed any, but not sure if you can get it if you haven't had it before...could be possible. Is there any way your surgeon could have missed even a little bit??? That's all it takes...and by the description of your pain...does sound like endo. BUT OF COURSE, I AM NO MEDICAL EXPERT. You may have to have the lap to find out for sure.
My goes out to you Taz, and to you, Miss Emma, as I know only too well the pain that both the endo and the adhesions can bring...I spend most of my time like this! and in lots of tears.
I really hope you get your answers to your questions.... GOD BLESS YOU ALL, This is a very hard road to travel, and I hope and pray that all goes well for you both.
BIG HUGS AND
Love Radical. xxx
Unread 10-26-2005, 10:00 AM

Thanks Radical I am calling my doctor today , does anyone know how much pain is involved with a laproscopy?
Unread 10-26-2005, 10:17 AM

It is going to be different for everybody - for every lap. I've had several of them - and have felt differently with each of them. My most recent one was in July...and it was rough. But I've had other's that haven't been bad.

Glad you are making that call!

S
Cortney
Unread 10-26-2005, 07:15 PM
radical

Hi Taz,
As Cmharmon has said, it is different for everybody.
I, myself have had about 10-12 over the years, and they have all been different...
In my case, it has depended on the surgeon...
I've had a couple of rough ones, and they haven't been the best... , but generally, I've been in hopsital overnight, sometimes, home the same day with no problems...
unless my surgeon has found something that needs to be done urgently, and therefore has gone "in" for the "big cut!"... (they have to have your permission to do that, so don't panic!)
ALWAYS READ WHAT SURGERIES YOU ARE SIGNING FOR....AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR PROCEDURE...
It is only a tiny laproscope that they put through your belly button, to have a look around. Usually there is no MAJOR pain involved, as the incision is quite small...
and the healing time is allot less than major surgeries.
If it is only a lap, (and the surgeon doesn't have to go in and do anything further) it's only a matter of a week or two of slight discomfort for most women.
I hope I have helped and let us know how everything works out.
I'm glad you are making that call too, as the not knowing part, I think, is really hard to deal with...at least you will have your questions answered.
BIG S AND
Love Radical. xxx
Unread 10-27-2005, 10:46 AM

Thanks again my appt is next Friday Nov 4th - I will make sure to ask questions. Do you know if stress makes the pain worse because this last week was a very,very VERY stessful one. Thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register