help hurricane fleas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help hurricane fleas help hurricane fleas

Unread 10-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Angry - help hurricane fleas help hurricane fleas

Hi everyone,
We were fostering a dog, Asia (a playful and sweet pit-bull-lab mix for a local no-kill animal shelter, but I am healing from my hyst 5 weeks post op and sadly we had to move her to another foster home. The problem is that everytime she would go for adoption viewing at PetSmart or headquarters she came home covered with fleas because the sudden number of huricane cats and dogs. The orginazation doesnt even have funds for Front Line yet to cover all the animals. We just ordered Front Line Plus thru PedMeds (saved a fortune) but in the mean time not sure what to do. We have purchased every over-the-counter product, poison and natural, nothing works! Last year we used ParaClear brand ditomacious earth and it killed every flea in doors and out,but its not helping at all this year!
In addition to the foster dog we also have a Norfolk Terrier and 3 cats. One of my cats, Twinkie has FAD, Flea Allergy Dermatitis. He was badly allergic to the meds the vet usually doses him up on. I dont want to give him the steroids again, all his hair will fall out and he will lose weight. Any advice at all?
Its sad that they sell all those flea colars and powders and sprays and none of them work!
I am hurting myself trying to clean and vacuum everyday.

tucson, AZ
-TAH sept 12 for ando, endo, hyperplasia, fibroids, kept one overy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2005, 09:07 PM
help hurricane fleas

Hi Cat...
I too had a MAJOR FLEA INFESTATION this year!! My cat also has FAD! She's 11 and an indoor cat, however I have 2 dogs and the fleas came with some rats that some Not so wonderful neighboors left behind when they moved!!
I had shampooed all the animals and frontlined them sprayed the yard and put the cat in my sons room to keep her away from the dogs! Well when I removed her from the room after about 2 weeks , The room was literaly infested!! I bombed the room with several different boms and STILL the fleas survived! It was a terrible battle!!
You'll have to look up the thread where I had posted on here and all the ladies wonderful advise!!
I ended up switching to Advantage and amazingly I FINALLY GOT CONTROL of the situation!! I also bought those pills from the vet that kills fleas instantly and treated everyone with those! I bought a supply of them so that ANYTIME I see one on any of the animals I treat them all with the pill also! Fortunatly I only had to give them the pill a couple times and got control! I did also have my terminex people come about a month ago and had them spray my entire yard and my sons room just as a percaution! It's funny that everyone swears by the frontline product as I also had...but these were some sort of "MUTANT BREED" of fleas or something!?? My poor cat went through Hell! But she is all recovered at this point!!
But look up that thread..theres really alot of good advise on it!!
I wish you the best!!!! Take care Netty
Unread 10-23-2005, 05:53 PM
help hurricane fleas

Thanks for your reply and I will look upp that thread!
Bathed all animals with Zodiac shampee, let that dry and used Frontline Plus. I used plates filled with soapy water on the floor at night and diatomacious earth on the furnurture and carpets and I havent been bitten in 2 days! Yeah. I had a friend who went thru what you went thru and swore by the pills from the vet. Thats plan B.
What did you get for the FAD? He seems better but has scabs and still itching and miserable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2005, 08:27 PM
help hurricane fleas

Hi Cat,
I didnt get anything for the FAD. I just kept cleaning her with antibacterial soap in all the bad areas! Boy did she HATE ME for awhile, but as they all seem to...she got over it!! She looked so bad though! She had bald spots and would growl soo bad at me when I'd give her a bath!! I just used palmalive dish soap on my animals! I had a vet tell me it was the best thing going and it doesnt dry out there skin!! CHEAP TOO! That FAD is just awful for sure!! The antibacterial soap seems to work well. I wish you luck...take care...Netty
Unread 10-24-2005, 12:11 AM
help hurricane fleas

Thanks for the tip! I have palmolive dishsoap. Today I scraped away some of the thick scabs on scabs and its definatly getting better. Twinkie usually has very think fur and a lion main but most of it feel out. He is very mean and I just cant bathe him. The other 2 cats dont have FAD so they are fine.
The Front Line Plus seems to have done a great job on the cats but Advantage was much less expensive, I would have bought that if I would have know it works better. When I called Pet Meds the clerk on the phone said Advantage is just as good, but we have a tic problem so we went with FrontLine.
Unread 11-28-2005, 10:50 PM
help hurricane fleas

Selsun Blue people shampoo not only kills fleas it takes away hound dog odor. It's good to spray with Frontline afterward and be sure to keep the animal dry for a full 24 hours afterward. Good luck.
Kate
mom of 13 cats & 4 dogs
Unread 11-29-2005, 07:16 PM
help hurricane fleas

Thanks KM,
It froze two nights in a row so thank goodness flea season seems to be over!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register