ovarian cysts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovarian cysts ovarian cysts

Unread 10-22-2005, 08:50 PM
ovarian cysts

Ok ladies, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to do about these stupid cysts, but I need to hear what you other ladies would do. I had a hysterectomy on June 9th. My ovaries shut down about a month later and I was put on estrogen for about a month. I was having sharp pains on my left side and sex was back to being painful again. My doctor did an exam and said he's pretty sure that I have a cysts and that he would either do an ultrasound right then, or that it should go away on it's own in about 3 months. Well, it's been almost 3 months, and the pain hasn't gone away. So I go to the doctor on Oct. 31st for the ultrasound and then a checkup. If that is indeed what the problem is, my choices or either birth control or laporoscopy. Now the birth control will mess with my epilepsy and make my hormones screw up. I'm already jerking enough as it is, although no seizures yet. The laporoscopy will get rid of them and they probably won't grow back as I never had cysts before my surgery and the only reason I got them this time was bc I got on estrogen. But since my ovaries are awake and working just fine, I won't need estrogen. What would you do? I've already had one lap. due to endo., so I know what to expect. I've also been on birth control bc of heavy periods and I know what to expect from that as well. I honestly think it's ridiculous to be on birth control when there is no uterus to control. Even though I know I would be taking it to shrink the cysts, it just seems...I don't know...stupid. I honestly need to know what other women would do. I can't go another year with these cysts, bc it's messing with my sex life and my husband is out of town a lot lately, so he wants a "welcome home present" when he gets home. Plus, my deductible is met this year due to my surgery, so having a lap. would just make since. I can't afford another $500. But if having a lap. isn't the thing to do...heck I just want to be NORMAL again. HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2005, 09:04 PM
ovarian cysts

Does your doctor plan to aspirate or remove the cysts during the laparoscopy? My dr said aspirate doesn't do much good because they just fill up again next cycle. Removing the cysts is better, but he thinks they'll just grow back, however I was so emphatic about keeping ONE ovary that he did remove a cyst (the other ovary was removed entirely with its complex mass causing all the pain). I didn't want to bother with birth control because of a history of blinding migraines and a mini-stroke associated with hormones, and my dr didn't think it was a good idea either; sounds like you have much worse effects with hormones. So if your choice is between hormones and removing the cysts I'd say remove them!
Unread 10-23-2005, 12:18 AM
ovarian cysts

Hi Jen,

Based on my experience, I'd say they need to go.

About five years ago, I went into the ER at the hospital for kidney stones. They did a CT scan on me and asked me how long I had this ovarian cyst. I said What ovarian cyst?. So my family dr started sending me to the hospital for ultrasounds every six months, and it was always the same. Yup, there it is and it hasn't changed much. I did a little research on simple cysts and they are supposed to come and go within a few months normally. Mine was a hanger-oner. My dr then sent me to a new gyn dr, who for a while continued the six months regime for ultrasounds. Then finally decided to aspirate. Got quite a lot of fluid from it - all clear fluid, which, if you are going to have a cyst, this would be the kind you would rather be stuck with. But of course, that sucker filled right back up again. It was kind of like the in-laws that won't go away, not too bad for the first while, but get really annoying after that. As time continued and my pain increased, when my dr and I decided I needed the hyst, I told her, lets get rid of this cyst too. Turned out the "ovarian cyst" was actually a tubal cyst, which really made no difference to anything. We decided in my case to take the ovaries as well. I guess I am of the opinion that if there is a simple problem with the ovary now, how easily could that transform into a bad problem? In my situation, I have been peri-menopausal for several years, so I wasn't too worried about the surgical menopause problems, I had already been going through a lot of the symptoms. My dh was becoming afraid of my pms ruling our house. Since my surgery, except for a few hot flashes and nightsweats (no worse than before surgery), I have been fairly lucky. I don't miss my ovaries, and I certainly don't miss my cyst. Once I get my energy back and get rid of my swelly belly, I will be dancing in the streets. For now, I am dancing only on the inside.

Take care, and no matter what anyone tells you, you must make the best decision that works best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2005, 12:33 AM
ovarian cysts

OK call me stupid, but when you say "they need to go" do you mean the cysts or my ovaries? BC I'm really "attached" to my ovaries. I already had a little experience with having no estrogen when my ovaries shut down. I really don't want to have to go through that again. And since I NEVER had a cyst before the surgery, I wasn't too worried about them coming back if I got rid of them. My doc said the only reason I got them in the first place was bc of the estrogen I was taking and then stopped once my ovaries woke up. I'm only 27 and it was hard enough losing my uterus, I'm not ready for menopause.
Unread 10-23-2005, 12:40 AM
ovarian cysts

Sorry, I did mean the cysts - not the ovaries. As far as I can tell, cysts do nothing but cause issues. Ovaries on the other hand have many important functions. I guess it was a little confusing, because in my case, they are all gone. Sorry if i scared you.
Unread 10-23-2005, 01:00 AM
ovarian cysts

Based on my experience, I would say you might need to have your ovaries removed ~ let me tell you my experience. I had a hyst in July '03 (uterus & cervix) due to multiple large fibroids. It was an open procedure due to the size of the fibroids and the doctor discovered endo during the surgery. I did really well with both the surgery and the recovery and was grateful to be able to keep my ovaries. Fast forward to Aug.'05 ~ I went in for my annual ob/gyn appt. Doctor found a grapefruit size endometrial cyst on my right ovary. I went in for lapro on 10/3 to remove the right ovary & tube; however, the doctor found a great deal of endo on my left ovary. The endo was so bad that the adhesions had cemented my pelvic organs together so she had to switch from lapro to open with the intent on removing both ovaries & tubes. The surgery was supposed to last 1 1/2 - 2 hours; however, it ended up taking 4 hours and requiring a pelvic surgeon and a urologist to assist due to complications with the adhesions. I am almost 3 weeks post op and this recovery has been pretty difficult. I have been told that I cannot have HRT for at least 3 months so the endo can "die out".

Is your doctor certain your symptoms are from the cysts or could it be the endo spreading? It is my understanding that the only way to detect endo is via lapro ~ it doesn't show up on ultrasound (I know mine didn't). It is also my understanding that the endo will spread when there is a wound of some sort, such as surgery. I don't mean to scare you, but I don't want anyone to go through what I have if it can be avoided. If you indeed have adhesions from endo it could get worse and cause more complications. Good luck to you!
Unread 10-23-2005, 06:08 PM
ovarian cysts

My ovaries were removed due to cysts. There are all different kinds of cysts -- including the ones that come and go with monthly cycles. If you had endo you could have an endometrioma (they can get really big and cause incredible pain and bleeding internally). I had one of those and I also had a "benign tumor" that could have turned into cancer. Usually, if the cysts are complex a doctor will recommend removal. I was told that even if they have to remove part of the ovary the part that remains can still function and if a woman still has a uterus can even get pregnant. It wasn't realistic to do that with my ovaries due to the endo and the fact that the other could become cancer.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register