Pressure in rectum-pretty bad | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pressure in rectum-pretty bad Pressure in rectum-pretty bad

Unread 10-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Pressure in rectum-pretty bad

I had a vagin hyst, kept my overies and had my bladder tacked 4 weeks ago. And, I have always had trouble with BM, all my life. But since surgery, it feels like it's full of concrete back there. I can't push, it hurts the front where I had my surgery, and when I do try to push, I feel like there's a huge rock in there that won't budge. About every3-4 days I'll use a Ladies Correctol to soften things up, it helps, but like yesterday I took a laxative and 2 tiny balls came out....sorry, gross I know but I'm scared. It almost feels like my whole rectum is numb, like when I push, it won't do anything.

I told my doctor at the 2 week post of check, he didn't seem to think it was any thing, actually never talked about it, he was running late so I know he did'nt have time. The only thing I could think to comare it to was after I had my babies, I had terrible hemmroids, and this feels kinda the same so the dr gave me some proctol foam to insert into the rectum. But it hasn't helped one bit.

Has anyone had this too ? please, any advice I would appreciate.

Gottago8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2005, 06:29 AM

HI! Sorry you are going through this, I truly know how you feel! I never had a BM problem, never ever in my life....until this surgery!
It was the worst pain I ever had, and I had it just like you to the tee!
I drank lots of water, included flax seed oil to my diet, ate prunes, and finally had to resort to Gas-X and Milk of Magnesia. The milk of magnesia took around 10-12 hours to kick in, but oh my gosh did that do the trick. Just watch what you eat, I didn't eat anything heavy or that would be hard to digest, and don't push to hard and hurt something. You might even talk to your Dr. about your past BM problems and what you are going through now, they could call you in a prescription laxative...just a thought if you can't get things moving on your own, but you definitely don't want to be straining and rip a repair down below!
Take care!
Unread 10-27-2005, 07:10 AM

hi, I had a vag hyst with a rectocele repair the day after you did and I know just what you mean. I also had trouble for a long time before because of the rectocele. I used a laxative right after surg so because i was so afraid of being constipated. The first few bms were really bad but got better. Anyway i was scared to keep taking the softeners and laxatives so I cut down on them and 2 days ago I had the concrete bricks you are talking about. I drank lots of water, increased the dose back up on my stool sof. and laxative and started taking citrucel, needless to say I had a really bad night but i think the worst is over. My gyn said to keep on the softners until i'm totally healed which could be a few monthes. good luck to you too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2005, 07:47 AM

I had my TVH and repair last week and know exactly the pain you are going through. I believe the pain I had with my first BM six days after surgery was as bad as child birth and much worse than any pain associated with the surgery itself. Luckuly things seem to be moving much better along. I think it just took a little too long for the stool softeners to kick in and also started taking Milk of Magnesia. Good luck to you.

Nan76528
Unread 10-27-2005, 08:13 PM

Sorry you are having a hard time. It is typical of abdominal surgeries, esp if pain relievers are involved.
I am still using one stool softener before bed. And in the morning I use prune juice mixed with orange juice. I expect to be doing this for 6 months. And I watch what I eat.
Dulcolax suppositories help things to move also. Hang in there it will improve I promise you !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register