A general Thank You.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A general Thank You.... A general Thank You....

Unread 04-05-2001, 04:04 PM
A general Thank You....

to all you ladies for the guidance and good advice. I discovered Hyster Sisters only a week prior to my TAH on 3/30 and wish I'd had more time to prepare myself. I arrived home (a day earlier than planned) on 4/1. Doc said I was doing well enough to go home and I couldn't wait to bust out of there. My staples are due to come out tomorrow and I can't wait. I am in some discomfort, but more frustrated than anything. Just taking a shower sends me back to bed. Spring has just sprung on Long Island and I couldn't wait to get outside for a walk, which also exhausted me. Perhaps my expectations are a bit high? I realize that recovery time is different for everyone, but can I do as much as I can until it hurts? Will I be doing damage inside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2001, 04:17 PM
A general Thank You....

Hi and welcome!

One of the hardest things for me to do was to rest! I wanted to be up and about, and walking further than I was, and playing with my horses, etc...

BUT, it is extremely important that you do very little right now. Your body has been through a major trauma, with LOTS of cutting and stitching inside, and it will only heal if you allow it plenty of rest.

Talk to your doctor about your specific situation, but in general, lots of short, slow walks are good for you. My doctor said walking helps get your strength back, helps you sleep at night, and helps get your digestive system working smoothly again. Once again, though, everyone is different, so please talk to your doctor about what is an acceptable level of activity for you.

One of the biggest dangers to recovery is when you start feeling a little better (2-3 weeks or so), and you go and do WAY too much one day. Then the next day you pay for it with pain and exhaustion! You can also do serious damage to internal sutures by over-doing it. And it takes much less than you might think. Reading in the post-op section you will see numerous stories of women who tried something they thought would be ok, and really hurt themselves.

I really thought, since I was only 28 and in excellent physical condition, that I wouldn't experience the fatigue that so many women told me about. WRONG! I was exhausted for several weeks. Even after I was back at work (at 5 weeks), and feeling pretty good, I was still amazed how quickly I got tired! The fatigue lasted on and off for about 4 months.

Please give yourself the time you deserve to fully recover! Take care!
Unread 04-05-2001, 04:19 PM
A general Thank You....

Dear Sister,

Please rest, then rest again...and you know what it's time for another rest! You are a newly crowned princess and need to be treated as such. It is very important that you follow dr's orders to a t!

If you "do as much as you can until it hurts" you very well may do some serious damage. I would talk to your dr., and ask him/her for instructions.

As many sisters have already said, you only have one chance to heal. You don't want to do damage now that could set your recovery back weeks. You've just had major surgery.

Okay...I'll get off my soap box now...but please talk to your Doctor....

Hugs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2001, 05:05 PM
A general Thank You....

Debs - I had tah/bso LAST spring 3/22/00...understand the need to enjoy the weather...BUT, I agree with the others... right now you should be resting - feet up for awhile.
Unread 04-05-2001, 08:19 PM
A fellow LI-er!

Hi there!

Today was BEAUTIFUL here, wasn't it! I am just over 4 wks post-op and took my daughter to the park for 2 hours. Let me tell you that sitting on a hard bench is not a good idea...I am paying for it tonight!

If you came home 4/1 and are feeling like a shower is wearing you out, that sounds right on track.

I pretty much stayed in the house for 3 weeks...just took my little walks around the living room and kitchen...on nicer days outside in the driveway and backyard. I did nothing....am just now starting to do a teeny bit of cooking. Something you might want to do if the weather is luring you outside...have someone put a chair in a sunny spot and sit for a little while in the sun. Feels good, helps with that lovely post-op pallor...then you can go in and take a nice nap after the big outing.

Really....do nothing, and then rest afterward. Your body will thank you for letting it heal properly!!!

Hey, maybe we can plan a local bonfire!!!

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register