scared about surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared about surgery scared about surgery

Unread 04-05-2001, 03:28 PM
scared about surgery

My surgery date is on the 24 of april.I'm scared of how I'll feel after the surgery,it cant be no worse than how I felt all these years.Is there itching where the scar will be?Can anyone reccomend any thing special for my 3 year old to take to grandmaws house?sorry for being a wimp i'm new to this site.Thankyou

stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2001, 03:38 PM
scared about surgery

Stephanie, you have every right to be scared. The waiting is the hardest. I had some itching as my scar healed, but it wasn't bad. The pain after surgery is quite manageable, and the nurses are pretty good about making you comfortable. Does your 3 yr old have a special blanket or stuffed animal to take to bed? Maybe it would be nice to take along a picture of Mom too. I'm glad you found us. Ask any questions you have (and I'm sure you'll have many) and we'll do our best to help. {{{Stephanie}}} <---you've just been hugged.
Unread 04-05-2001, 03:59 PM
we are with you!

We are so glad you found this place. For your 3 year old, I would send along anything that can be considered a treat: favorite video, snack, etc. plus maybe your pillow, that is what my kids like to have when I am away...it is "part of me" and it's comforting. They love to snuggle up in the big bed...and that reminds them of those times and comforts them.

When I have had to be away for a time, for surgery or other purposes, I have always worried about the kids more than I needed to...I think it is a "mom thing". They do so well, and if they have a few fun things to distract them, they hardly notice.

When I had my hyst last summer, the big deal around my house was the Thomas the Tank Engine movie was coming out the same day - ACK!!! That was all I heard about. Then, the day of, I wasn't here to go along to the movie (duh) and that was when my son figured out I was in the hospital. LOL!!!! He was upset that I had inconvenienced him by not going along. So, we bought the video as soon as it came out and made a big deal out of watching it one Saturday (popcorn, low lights, etc.) AND, I never once had to get up to run to the bathroom to change a pad....LOL!

You will be in our prayers, for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery! Remember, follow your doctor's instructions to the letter! That is the key to a good recovery. When they say REST, they mean SIT AROUND UNTIL YOU ARE SICK OF IT, THEN GO TAKE A NAP.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2001, 04:16 PM
scared about surgery

I have had many surgeries and they started when my sons were 2 and 4. One thing you can do is buy a few cheap gifts, ie. matchbox cars, crayons, etc. for him to open and help keep his mind off you not being there. I have yet get my hyst, but as far as scars itching they do itch some just like all cuts do as they heal, it is no big thing. I have a scar that runs from my sternum down in to my pubic hair. Good luck with the surgery, I think the waiting before hand is always the worst part!
Unread 04-06-2001, 07:31 AM
You'll be surprised

Hi Stephanie

I think we all wonder what we will feel like right after the surgery. I think you will be pleasantly surprised - not because it is fun or anything, but because it probably won't be the excruciating kind of pain you might imagine. It's not, for example, like awful menstrual cramps or childbirth. It is more like SORE and the caps are on purpose. Even when I ran out of pain meds about four hours after surgery I found the pain manageable. And I do mean I had to manage it, but I didn't feel like screaming or anything. Once the meds were back working it was better. The good thing is, you know it's just going to get better and better and it does, dramatically so, day by day. Plus, you know you have sisters experiencing the same thing at the same time!

I'm still itching but it isn't awful. It is kind of funny, actually, because I can't always tell where to itch. Funny feelings in the abdomen since there are still nerves to heal.

When my kids were little I used to keep a bag of little toys up in the closet that I could pull out one by one when they were having a hard time. You could send a little bag of new things you think he'd enjoy, just little fun things. I also agree with the others - favorite things. I'm a grandma and I enjoy having my grandkids here and keep a stash of different things than they have at home so it's special to be here.
Unread 04-06-2001, 09:27 AM
being scared

First and foremost you are NOT a WIMP )8! Just by being a woman you are incredibly strong! It is a scaring thing to wait! I should know since my surgery date is not until May 30! But you are with us in our thoughts, minds, and prayers and we will be with you until that day and beyond!
Some ideas for your 3 yr old. might be coloring, magna doodles, plastic trucks or cars, dolls or action figures, (I would suggest a musical xylophone but I am sure Grandmaw would kill me blocks, etc.
If you need anything else, let me know.Take care and we hystersisters are with ya.
Unread 04-06-2001, 11:56 AM
Kids are wonderful!

Hi there,

Please try not to worry. There was noone more scared than me! I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and the pain is OK. I won't lie and say it doesn't hurt, but it doesn't hurt how you think it wil (If that makes sense!)

Kids are wonderfully resilient, and have the ability to make you feel very unmissed.I was really worried about my 3 year old and my 20 month old, but they thought it was wonderful to see Grandma and Grandpa everyday!

Lots of videos and crayons and they will be happy. But they will be happier if you don't worry!

Hugs and prayers to you.
See you on the other side!

Vicky.

Unread 04-06-2001, 12:48 PM
scared about surgery

Everybody gets nervous or scared. How can we not?!

As for trinkets for the little one, a picture of mom or a picture of the two of you together.

Do you have a little tape recorder? Record a little message or record a bed time story that grandmom can play back.

A favorite book, stuffed animal, or toys from home so things are familiar.

A favorite casual sweater of yours or a lap robe. Something you use and the kidlet knows is yours.

A little treat wrapped so kidlet can open one a day, sort of like a little Advent calendar.

Good Luck,
Miranda
Unread 04-06-2001, 01:41 PM
scared about surgery

Miranda...that's a great idea about the tape recorder!
Unread 04-06-2001, 03:15 PM
scared about surgery

The pain is manageable. The only bad part I think was the next morning when I had to get up the first time, I was nauseated. After they gave me something for that I was pretty good with the pain pump. I am at 8 days and doing extremely well. Pain is not a biggy, so I have to be careful not to do too much.

TAH/BSO Lots of Endo and Fibroids 3-28-01

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register