iv not had post op check up yet!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

iv not had post op check up yet!!! iv not had post op check up yet!!!

Unread 10-31-2005, 03:45 PM
iv not had post op check up yet!!!

Has anyone waited longer than 7 wks for their post op.i havent had a letter through. When i rang they told me its not unusual for it to be later than 6 wks-im not sure what i should and shouldnt be doing.was told not to drive till i have my post op.But i started driving at 4 wks.
look forward to your replies.
sunshine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2005, 03:50 PM

No, I had my post op at 5 weeks. The instructions I got upon leaving the hospital were to call to schedule. I left on Tuesday and called in on Thursday to schedule. I needed the post op and a letter from the doctor to go back to work.
Unread 10-31-2005, 06:03 PM

My post op appointment was scheduled at the doctor's office the day I scheduled the surgery -- 6 weeks to the day from the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2005, 08:57 PM

Hi sunshine1971,
I'm sorry you're having to wait so long to see your dr for your post op appt. To my knowledge most women have a followup appointment at least by the 7 week mark. You need to know if you are healed up adequately to return to normal activities. If you are having any specific problems you could call and ask to be seen. This might speed things up a bit for you.
There generic guidelines on this site in the Checkpoints but they aren't meant to replace your dr's specific instructions. Since you don't have specific instructions you might want to look at the checkpoints if you haven't already. They will help give you some idea what is average for this stage in your recovery.
I have never heard of anyone not being allowed to drive for such a long time. It makes me wonder if your dr remembers those are the instructions he gave. I would at least call and ask about that one.
I do hope you hear from your dr soon.

's, Rita
Unread 11-01-2005, 12:45 PM

Hi, when I left the hospital I couldnt beleive it when the consultant said he would see me in 10 to 12 weeks. I left with a little leaflet explaining a few dos and donts but that was it. I felt really alone. a week later I had to go back in with a kidney infection I was going to ask why I had to wait so long before my appointment but felt so poorly didnt get round to it. It was trying to decide every time something cropt up whether or not to bother my doctor. think I would have felt much happier seeing someone at about 6 weeks which I think is the norm for a lot of people. Dont know what I would have done without this site, its been a blessing for me. Had losts of little problems like stitches and slight infections so it was great being able to see how other ladies were coping.
take care
tyne and wear - tah and removal of both o's
Unread 11-01-2005, 01:25 PM

hi- your like me-i was a bit confused today-i rang and told them i have had no appont ment after 7 wks and she said its normally 8-10 wks for a check up???. i was given a sicknote after my op for 6 wks because i and nurses persumed i would have a post op check up then. They told me not to drive or go back to work till my check up.Most women go back6-8 wks. Then they tell me today that my sick note should be for 3 mths.im fed up now.
I had stitches on my bowel as well but like you say this site has been brilliant because we'd be ringing the doctor every 5 mins with all these aches and pains not knowing whats normal and whats not.
Hope you have a speedy recovery.
sunshine. x
Unread 11-01-2005, 01:30 PM

Thanks for your advice-i managed to get appoint 15th november-still i thought was quite late but i suppose it gives me more chance of healing.
kind regards
sunshine x
Unread 11-01-2005, 02:15 PM

Hi, glad you have your appointment I got sick note for 3 months and dr told me today I could have another if I wasnt up to going back, I was tempted as Im certaintly nowhere near over all this but thought better try and get back incase I might never feel ready for the big outside world. hope you check up goes well
take care
xx
Unread 11-01-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1971
hi- your like me-i was a bit confused today-i rang and told them i have had no appont ment after 7 wks and she said its normally 8-10 wks for a check up???. i was given a sicknote after my op for 6 wks because i and nurses persumed i would have a post op check up then. They told me not to drive or go back to work till my check up.Most women go back6-8 wks. Then they tell me today that my sick note should be for 3 mths.im fed up now.
I had stitches on my bowel as well but like you say this site has been brilliant because we'd be ringing the doctor every 5 mins with all these aches and pains not knowing whats normal and whats not.
Hope you have a speedy recovery.
sunshine. x
I had my surgery the same day as you, and not only have I had my post op, but I've just finished my second part time day back at work.
Unread 11-02-2005, 11:45 AM

My doctor gave me written instructions of what I can, and cannot do, and at what points in time things should happen. She also told me to see her at twelve weeks. She told me driving could happen between 2 and 4 weeks, dependant on the weather. While I was in the castle, we were having a snow storm and she was worrying about me driving if it was slippery. I know that if I am having any difficulties, that I could see her as necessary. I had called her office earlier today and they said that twelve weeks was very standard. Not sure if it just this doctor or a Canadian standard.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register