Starting Estratest and Worried! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Starting Estratest and Worried! Starting Estratest and Worried!

Unread 10-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Starting Estratest and Worried!

Hi there--
I saw my doctor today regarding how tired I have been since my surgery and my general low libido. We talked for a long time, and he gave me some samples of Estratest to try for a few weeks to see if it helps. Now that I have read a few posts about Estratest, I'm concerned about the side effects. Has anyone out there had a good experience with Estratest? Did it help with the libido issue? How long did it take for anyone to see any significant effects before they decided that Estratest was right or wrong for them? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2005, 11:16 PM

Hi there, I had a TAH/BSO Sept. 28, On my 1 wk check my Dr gave me a sample pack of Estratest, I took the first 6 pills as ordered 1 every night at bedtime, the only thing I noticed was after the 3rd pill I had a severe headache every morning for the following 3days. I havent taken anything else yet,I have my 6 wk check up on Nov 9 and will be begging for something else for HRT. I am freezing my DH to death while I lay sweating. , also joint pain is so bad I can hardly walk. I hope you do well or find another HRT that works if the Estratest dont,
Unread 11-01-2005, 05:41 AM

Hi!

The only way to know if Estratest is the right hormone therapy for you is to try it. What works well for one of us isn't necessarily going to work well for another. Some women do very well on Estratest--they just aren't as likely to hang around the site posting about it as they would be if it didn't work--that's just human nature.

If you try the Estratest and find it isn't working for you, there are other options. I started out on Estratest HS (half strength) and from there went to compounded hormones. Now I'm on a combination of compounded hormones (progesterone and testosterone) and bio-identical estrogens from the regular pharmacy (Vivelle Dot 0.1 and Vagifem). I used Estratest for a bit over 7 months before making the change. I switched because it wasn't helping my libido plus I wanted to use bio-identical hormones.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use! We're happy to share our experiences to help get you through the Jungle!

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2005, 06:35 PM

Hi,
I have been taking Estratest HS for 6 weeks and so far I really like it. It has helped my libido tremendously. It took about 3-4 weeks before my sex drive started to return.

Although I haven't been taking it that long, I finally feel normal and like myself again. My sex drive is back and I don't have any menopausal symptoms at all. I feel great!

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.
Unread 11-08-2005, 08:49 PM

gemini27, that's great news!! Are you taking the half-strength (HS) or the full strength? I have started taking it, but it's only been a few days, and frankly, I feel exactly the same -- no mustache or bulging biceps yet. () Thanks!!
Unread 11-09-2005, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb
gemini27, that's great news!! Are you taking the half-strength (HS) or the full strength?
I am taking half-strength (HS).
I hope you will have the same good results that I have had so far. I am very pleased to this point.

Like I said before, it does take a while for it to get into your system and some take longer than others. My menopause symptoms weren't that bad so maybe that's why I've had such a smooth transition.

My aunt took it for many years with good results and no mustache or deep voice so maybe we'll be okay.

Good luck! I hope it works great for you.
Cheryl
Unread 11-09-2005, 10:09 PM

Hello ladies
I had a appt with my gyn 2 weeks ago, because of my menopausal symptoms. I had a FSH test in July which showed I was menopausal. The symptoms have just escalated alot lately. I am having night sweats, irritable, moody, anxiety, memory lapses at times, no sex drive at all,etc. I feel like I don't care if I ever have sex again. My poor DH. I went to my Gyn asking for HRT.
I have been through alot this last 18 months.I had my 5th surgery 2 weeks ago. I am recovering from a 2 level spinal fusion, so I have alot of time to think about if I want to go on HRT or not. My gyn wrote me out a prescription for Estarest HS. I am not to start it until I am more mobile, because of the slight chances of developing blood clots. I read a book on bio-identical hormone therapry. I called my gyn today about it. He doesn't know much about it. He said he would stand behind me on my decision. Everything I read in the book seemed to fit me to a t.He said the book sounds too good. He didn't push me into HRT. He said it can have side effects. I asked him how many of his patients on it have bad problems ? and he said hardly none. He said night sweats won't kill me if I decide against using it. He suggested I try black cohosh, soybean products to help if I am afraid of synthetic HRT.
My question is I guess, what all does the Estarest HS help with, besides the sex drive? Will it help any of my other symptoms? I am 43 years old. I had a TAH, but kept both ovaries.I am borderline for osteoporosis, have degenerative disc disease. My gyn said his plan was to keep me on the Estarest (if it helps with the symptoms) for approx 5 years, then wean me off.Hopefully the symptoms would be gone about then.
For those of you on synthetic HRT, have you had many problems? Does it help you feel alot better? My dr. told me I would have to monitor for symptoms, such as chest pains, shortness of breath. Do monthly self breast exams, yearly mammos. I was on birth control pills for years and never had any problems. They say everything causes cancer anymore anyway.
I am unsure what to do. All I know is I want my life back again!
THANK YOU ALL
Peggy
Unread 11-11-2005, 12:19 AM

rlb,

I have been taking estratest for a few weeks now and feel alot better hormonally than prior to surgery. I started on Cenestin first but had some problems (skin related) that neither my doctor or I could say were hormone related. So he switched me to estratest. I opted for half-strength and within two weeks, I had to start taking two pills a day. Since then, I feel pretty darn good.

When I switched from Cenestin to estratest I did experience a first for me. Migraines. This lasted a couple of days until my body adjusted to the change.

As for libido. I want but have to wait for a couple more days. Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

I too am concerned about my bones. I have recently learned that testosterone is important in maintaining bone density. Was I giving to much credit to estrogen? I wish the experts could figure it out once and for all.

Dianne
Unread 11-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Estratest for 7+years

Hi everyone! I don't get around to reading the great hystersister posts very often, so this reply is a little late coming.

I was put on Estratest HS over 7 years ago and have felt great! I took Menest 0.625 alone with the Estratest until just a few months ago. I have been cutting the Menest in half because my nipples began to be sore.

I was 46 when I had my total hster. and I wish I'd had it years earlier. My Doc. told me that along with the good sex drive I would have a better memory and more energy using the Estratest.

I'm not a bit scared about taking it. If you feel good then its a good thing! If not, keep on trying other stuff! Don't give up!

PS The older I get the less good nights of sleep I have, but I don't worry much about it. I cat nap when I get a chance.
Unread 11-14-2005, 01:09 PM

I am back on Estratest and I am sticking with it. I tried Estriodial and I had major aches and pains. Now I feel more like me again, at this point I don't care if I grow hair in my ears as long as I dont have pain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register