i am concerned | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i am concerned i am concerned

Unread 11-03-2005, 08:31 PM
i am concerned

I am 14 days post op and feeling very good. My concern is what I should and shouldn't do. Today I straightened up the house a little (nothing major), but I did do 6 loads of laundry (hadn't been done since surgery). I feel fine tonight. A little sore, but very little. I haven't taken anything for pain. My question is, if I feel okay and didn't lift anything heavy, and have no spotting, can I be doing any damage? I don't want to do anything that will hurt me in the future.
I have TVH, bladder sling and repairs (forgot what they are called). My dr changed my discharge papers to say nothing over 5 lbs for 6 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2005, 08:34 PM
i am concerned

I would listen to your Dr. I would also s l o w down. Take it easy... You are healing.
Unread 11-03-2005, 08:42 PM
i am concerned

I agree, your dr. said not to lift anything over 5 lbs. Just to give you an idea of what that is a gallon of water is 8 lbs. Your body is going through soooooo many changes there is no way of knowing what you are or are not doing to it. You only have one chance to recover. You deserve a care free(as much as humanly possible) recovery.
Take care,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2005, 10:50 PM
i am concerned

You are doing to much!!! Your doctor did his job, now you do yours (relax and recover). You are risking tearing stitches, adhesions, you can do major damage.
Just because you don't feel pain tonight, does not mean you wont feel it tommorow (I hope you don't). Have your hubby do laundry, you can fold it. You have to listen to your doctors orders, elsewise you may end up back in surgery.
Sorry, I didn't mean to scold you. I just want you to be safe and not hurt yourself. You only have one chance to recover correctly.
Gentle hugs
Unread 11-03-2005, 11:20 PM
i am concerned

Six loads of laundry, yikes! Probably it wil be okay, but don't take that risk, let your family members take these tasks over. If they don't get done, so what! Nothing is more important than your recovery now.
Unread 11-04-2005, 05:38 AM
i am concerned

Please, please slow down and don't do too much. It's in the quiet moments that you get a twinge and then think 'should I have done this, should I have done that?' and wonder about if you've done any damage. I drive myself mad thinking like this! So if you don't overdo things you won't be worrying later. It's early days yet, have a well earned rest.
Unread 11-04-2005, 08:12 AM
i am concerned

It doesn't take a lot of laundry to add up to 5 pounds. I'm 23 days post-op and have done some light housecleaning, too, but VERY light. I have only assisted with laundry - sorting so my DH or son can run the loads, then helping fold after they bring it back up.

Remember your main job is to GET WELL! Call your sister, mother, aunt, neighbor, or friends if you need to. I'm sure one of them would be glad to help with the laundry. I know, it's hard for me to ask for help too, but this is the time to do it. Wouldn't you do it for them in the same situation?

Louise
Unread 11-04-2005, 08:17 AM
i am concerned

My sweet aunt told me that she made the mistake of doing too much too soon and 20 yrs later still feels the effects. Your healing now will effect the rest of your life. Take care yourself.
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:02 AM
i am concerned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylady3200
My sweet aunt told me that she made the mistake of doing too much too soon and 20 yrs later still feels the effects.
What happened? What was the result?

I am at week 3 and have been trying really hard to take it easy, but I am single and live by myself so have no DH to help. I find that I am now panicking and wondering if somewhere along the line I might have done a little too much and unwittingly undone some of my doctor's good work. I'm not worried because I don't feel well, I do; I just tend to be a worrier by nature.

So -- how can you tell if you've overdone it? Or can you tell?
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:11 AM
i am concerned

I know it is difficult for many of us women who are used to doing alot , but I've been told we REALLY need to take it easy, even if we feel well. You can do some things, but it is best to rest often, not lift anything over 5-10 lbs, and listen to your body. When I may have been a little too active, I feel it later, feeling more tired, and a little sore. I think we should appreciate this leisure time. If you are like me.. life will become quite busy and demanding soon enough!!! Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register