Aunt Flo | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Aunt Flo

I sit here snickering, yet again.

I see that many sisters refer to their periods (or past periods) as Aunt Flo and how many are happy that Aunt Flo is gone now. I had never heard that name before. But here is where the funny part comes in. My MIL's first name is Florence...........any connection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Aunt Flo

ester!

I'd never heard of Aunt Flo either ... I just assumed it was an Americanism? I just wish I'd had the chance to use it all those years!

I told her to pack her suitcase back in April and I haven't seen her since ... yesssssssss!!

Unread 11-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Aunt Flo

My friends and I always have called it "Cousin Red". Call her whatever, she's gone from my life. Yahooie!
Enjoyed that about the MIL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Aunt Flo

I never heard of Aunt Flo until I starting reading about her here. I just always called it "the period from he--! No sugar coating it here. It's just what is is --or was in my case. Yahoo!!!
Unread 11-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Aunt Flo

I had never heard it called that either, but you know the really sad part..........I just thought that a lot of the ladies had a aunt named Flo.............how dumb was I? lol! Kay

Unread 11-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Aunt Flo

My friends and I always referred to our periods as Aunt Flo coming to visit----that way when we'd write it on our calendars in keeping track of when to expect it, most guys who would see it would be totally clueless, while all us girls knew exactly what was going on. I do remember lots of chuckles at the inside joke when a guy would tell one of us to have a nice visit when our "aunt" arrived.
Unread 11-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Aunt Flo

I think it's a rather old fashioned, delicate kind of term. We just asked when you got your first period.

There was also the term "captain," but I only learned that one much later.
Unread 11-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Aunt Flo

Growing up, we always called it "our little friend".

I don't know who came up with this one, but they should be locked up. That was certainly no friend of mine. You know the old saying.........with friends like that.........who needs enemies.
Unread 11-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Aunt Flo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ester 6" tall

I don't know who came up with this one, but they should be locked up. That was certainly no friend of mine. You know the old saying.........with friends like that.........who needs enemies.

Oh yes!

When I reached my late teens and onwards, I favoured the rather vulgar "on the rag."

YOu know how that started, dontcha all? Originally, pads were homemade and washed out after each use.

When my mother came to the States in '48 after the war, she found throw away pads one of the best things America had to offer (on the store shelf, anyway).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register