bowel problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bowel problems bowel problems

Unread 11-04-2005, 07:49 PM
bowel problems

Hi sisters,

I have not visited in a while although I do check in from time to time. It had looked like my journey was ending on this long road. I had a total TAH/BSO in 1999 for endo. I was diagnosed with Lupus and fibromyalgia in 2004 and lately have been having issues with my left side with pain. Just like to old endo days....I went to the doctor today and had tests run which came up with something on my colon by the sigmoid part. A swollen area. She tried to explain to me what it could be which I really didn't understand but that I needed to have a CT scan on monday and if I should feel more pain or run a fever over the weekend to go to ER right away.

Anyone experience anything weird with their colon like this? I was thinking it was scar adehsions or something like that.

Once again on the road!

Robbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2005, 12:28 PM
bowel problems

I did, but it was a few weeks after my hyst. I had really bad lower left side pains and fevers. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis, which was managed with antibiotics (lots and lots of them) and dietary changes, until a year later when it recurred and the decision was made to remove the diseased portion of my colon. Unfortunately, when they got in there, they found that the 'diseased portion' was most of it, and there was a mess on my sigmoid where the colon had perforated and abscessed a year earlier. Lots of necrotic tissue and adhesions, all of which had acted to stop the infection from spreading through my entire pelvis. It turned out I was a lot luckier than I ever knew!

I'm glad your DRs are following up on this with the CT scan. That's how they diagnosed my diverticulitis at first - followed by a barium enema, which showed more detail. Ultimately, though, they still didn't know how bad it was until they went in a year later and had to clean it up.

Good luck, and let us know what you find out, OK? And I second what your DR said... if you start having fevers, get to the ER right away.
s,
-Linda
Unread 11-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Update

Hi sisters,

I wanted to talk to someone, it has been a tough few weeks. Of course it was impossible to get in to see a GI doc and my symptoms worsened and I was in horrible pain. I finally called a doctor I saw a few years ago (who diagnosed me with the fun IBS) and he was nice enough to talk to me on the phone assess my problem via talking about findings on the CT scan. I can't get a colonoscopy until Jan. He suggested I do a round of magnisium citritate to clean my colon because it sounded as if I had a impactation even though I have suffered with diarrea with the past month. I did it and it was horrible. The pain was so bad I ended up in the ER. I cannot understand how a person can have so much "poop" inside their body. After an xray it looked as if I was still impacted which I don't know how that can be possible.I feel as if I am raising my children through the bathroom door. "Mom can I have a cookie?" "Mom are you coming out yet?" I'm being treated with antibiotics for diverticulitis, a gut relaxer which I can't remember what it is called right now....

Anyway I went back to my rheumy because I wanted his adivice. He is the man that has given me my life back. He said I was doing all the right things as far as medication goes and gave me a pep talk that I have Lupus and many of these things IBS, etc can go with Lupus and I need to give myself a break and my family (mostly my husband) need to understand. I will be sick from time to time and I need to take care of myself. I also have a problem with my liver which is not great but not anything earth shattering right now. He gave me some awesome pain pills which have helped tremendously and should help to make my thanksgiving with my family bearable.

I need to have the polyps removed from my colon , hopefully the diverticulitis will not get worse and eventually my body will settle down.

I recently had a horrible situation with my close friends in my neighborhood. We have a playgroup for our children and it was like a desparate housewife plot but unfortunetly I was the bad guy. Some of the things that happened were my fault but a great majority was misunderstanding or just plain not true and it has upset me horribly. I'm sure this does not help my situation yet I hate to use my illness as an escuse to get people not to be mad at me. My husband thinks I'm crazy to be so upset. But it just feels so unjust. I really am not a bad person and some of the issues have to do with things I have said to other people and I really don't remember saying and I know that I take a lot of medication right now and I may have said something out of line to someone. I don't know how to deal with all of these things and I'm very sad for myself but especailly for my kids. My 3 year old got invited to a play date but it was made clear I was not invited. How does a person deal with that? I'm sorry I am babbling but I could use some sympathy and any advice from those of you that may be in my situation. I try very hard to be a good person but pain can cause anyone to be a bit of a you know what from time to time.

Thanks for listening and anyone with any input would help me. I've had some really mean things said over the past few weeks any constructive critisim would not hurt I don't think. I don't want this to happen again if I can help it.

THanks so much Robbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2005, 06:22 AM
bowel problems

Robbie,
The simple truth is that some people just have no idea. And it's not anybodies fault - it's just a fact. So many people sit in judgement of others - without knowing the whole story. So perhaps your best bet would be to actually sit down with your "friends" and give them the scoop. Nobody is saying that it is an excuse for "bad behavior". But perhaps they would not see your actions as bad if they really knew what you were going through. Pain does awful things to us. And nobody can be at their best when they just want to craw into bed and pull the covers over their head!

I hope you are feeling better soon. And I hope things work out with your friends, too. It's hard enough to go through what you are going through - without adding the additional stress of a disagreement to it.

All the best -
S
Cortney
Unread 11-25-2005, 11:24 AM
bowel problems

Robbie, I feel so sorry about your situation. I am 55 and
have raised my kids and I can't image trying to take
care of children with my condition, I barely got thru
it without all this pain. I've had chronic pain since my
hyst 5 years ago, and it has been horrible. Try to give
yourself a break, people don't understand, and even
if you explained it to them, unless you have been thru
this you just can't understand. Dealing with so many
family members is a big job, and I don't know how your
husband is, but a lot of times that is like having another
child. Robbie I know there is nothing funny about all
of this, but I have to tell you I just rolled when you
described trying to raise your kids thru the bathroom
door. And you are right it is amazing how much poop
can be in you. I think I have been having good bms,
and then I'll have a day when it kinda goes off the charts
and I just can't believe there was that much in there.
Try to hang in there, you are doing the best you can
do, life can sure get complicated and messed up. My
heart goes out to you, a mother's job is so hard, especially when you have very young ones that are so
dependant. Take care.
Unread 11-27-2005, 06:39 PM
bowel problems

Thank you so much sisters. I agree it is pretty funny. What I life I lead sometimes and I wonder who the adult is when I get in the car and my three year is checking to make sure I've gone to the bathroom before we leave the house. If I don't find the funny side I'll lose my mind and that is not good for my children. My doctor tried not to laugh at me when I complained about raising my children through the bathroom door.

This was one of the worst thanksgivings I have ever had and I had a real eye opening moment about my life. No one is ever going to completely understand to include me. What is most important is not what other people think of me but what I believe about me and that the most important people in my life are the three other people I live with. My husband is wonderful he just doesn't want the woman he married 20 years ago to have this chronic illness. My doctor bless his heart gave him a lecture. I don't want my children growing up thinking I'm sick and going to die (which I feel like much of the time)So I have to change my outlook. I'm thinking about looking in to therapy to help me with all of this... something I never would have considered a year ago. I have a responsibility to my children to be there for them the best I can. For my friends and neighbors so much uglyness has happened I think the best thing is to let it go and move on. We are moving to Colorado in Feb and maybe I can start things fresh. We have a large family and right now I do not think my children are suffering from lack of visiting with the neightbors. It isn't nice to invite a child but make it clear the mother is not included when the other mothers are. My daughter will understand her Mommy was not included and she should not have to feel that burden let alone overhear what the other mothers might say about me.

My heart goes out to people who are celebrities and have horrible untruths or half thruths printed about them and you just have to sort of live with it.

I still feel bad physically and had done well until the day after Thanksgiving when I had things coming out all ends. I just don't undertand what the problem might be.

Thank you thank you for listening to me. I have never felt so lonely as I have this holiday season.

Robbie
Unread 11-27-2005, 07:15 PM
radical

Dear Robbie,
BIG 'S FOR YOU SWEETIE...
Unfortunately, some people are very small minded.
I have been a "chronic pain" sufferer for 15-20 years...the worst being the past 10-15, after my TAH/BSO.
I have been judged SO MUCH by people that do not understand. I HAVE TO take VERY SRONG pain medication every day of my life...
I have been called so many "names."
Over the years I have heard my "so-called" friends call me a "drug addict." I have heard them talk about me, saying things like: "There's nothing wrong with her, she just wants the drugs!" "She's not sick, she's just a sad drug addict."
FOR MANY YEARS, I LET THESE PEOPLE "GET" TO ME...
NOT ANY MORE!!!
I've had times when I've said things, or done things that I can't remember...but IT IS NOT MY FAULT.
ANY MORE THAN IT IS YOURS.

I'M SORRY THAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH ALL THAT YOU ARE, AND I HOPE AND PRAY THAT EVERYTHING GETS BETTER FOR YOU.
DON'T LET THESE SMALL MINDED PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH, OR HAVE BEEN THROUGH GET YOU DOWN.
GOD BLESS YOU.
LOVE,
RADICAL. XXX
Unread 11-28-2005, 04:51 AM
bowel problems

It is so hard being sick like this. We had drama's with
our grown children the last few weeks, and I keep having UTIs the stress is doing me in. This morning I
am having a panic attacks and I have got to pull myself
together. These attacks make me very sick on my stomach. These health problems make you feel very
vunerable, trying to keep up and you just feel like you
are stumbling along. Robbie therapy is probably a good
thing. Good luck.
Unread 11-28-2005, 07:31 PM
bowel problems

Thanks sisters! It is true people just don't understand what it is like to be this way. My brother asked at the Thanksgiving dinner table if I was on drugs. I was so mortified and embarrassed he did that. Later he said he didn't mean anything by it.

I'm learning huge lessons in life and I'm proud of myself for keeping it together as well as I have. My children are happy and healthy and drive me crazy which I take is normal and their job in life. I'm sure when they are grown I will miss it terribly. I want so much to be there for them.

I too take major pain meds most days to make it through. I usually don't share the info with others because I'm afraid of the comments, etc.

I've been so so depressed and to know other people are having some of my same problems make life so much more bearable. You can't know how important this has been.

Robbie
Unread 11-30-2005, 02:26 PM
radical

Dear Robbie,
I'm so sorry that your brother said that to you on such an important day for you...
Some people, who DO NOT understand, are hard to deal with...I had the same sort of "comments" as you, not just by my friends, but family also, and I know how much it "stings" your heart.
I used to not tell anyone about having to take the strong pain medication I was on, for fear of judgment, and those "horrid" comments.
But after many years of putting myself through unneccessary suffering, I realized that THEY WERE THE ONE WITH THE PROBLEM...NOT ME.
I used to not take what I was prescribed, because of these "small minded" people, I used to take only about half of what my doctor prescribed...putting myself through pain that I didn't need to be feeling!!!

But...I now stand with my head held high...IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT I HAVE TO TAKE THESE TABLETS...AND IT DEFINATELY ISN'T YOURS EITHER.
Please don't let people do to you, what they did to me.
Do take what you are prescribed...you are on the medication for a reason...YOU ARE IN PAIN...I AM IN PAIN, EVERY DAY. (It is a VERY HARD way to live your life.)
We don't need to feel any less of a person because we take something for it...
YOU ARE NOT ALONE DEAR ROBBIE...I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT.
GOD BLESS YOU.
LOVE,
RADICAL. XXX

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register