The Constantly Reopening TAH Surgical Wound... after 4-1/2 YEARS!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Constantly Reopening TAH Surgical Wound... after 4-1/2 YEARS!! The Constantly Reopening TAH Surgical Wound... after 4-1/2 YEARS!!

Unread 11-05-2005, 09:33 PM
The Constantly Reopening TAH Surgical Wound... after 4-1/2 YEARS!!

I am really, really frustrated. This post is a VENT!! Thanks in advance for all my fellow sisters who I know will read this and reassure me that I am not going crazy, LOL I posted about this a couple years back I think, but I can't find it and I might as well start over anyway, so here goes.

I had a TAH/BSO in March 2001. On day 3 postop I developed a staph infection in the wound. The surgeon reopened the wound (without painkillers or numbing, by the way - how DO they get by with that!!). I put up with an open abdominal incision 13" wide for 16 weeks. It was by far the grossest thing I have EVER endured. And I have endured some gross-out things

Starting a couple of months after the wound initially closed, it began to pucker "funny" in one part of the incision. LIke a big dent in it somehow. A valley. Well, this "valley" is what splits open and nasty fluid comes out of it. Also, my bladder spasms and vague lower abdominal pain started at this time. Both still continue. This incision will reopen, drain, and reclose itself over the period of a couple of weeks as a rule. The only thing I have managed to find to stop it is putting Gold Bond medicated powder on it every single day. Well, despite my best efforts the darn thing opened up again today. As usual, I started feeling crappy with vague abdominal cramps and then happened to notice the thing was oozing again. I looked at it, and as it has many times before, there is a 4" circumference red very ticked off infected and irritated area surrounding the part of the incision that leaks.

I went back to my original hyst surgeon MANY times for this. Every time I would manage to get in to his office, the thing would be closed up again. He kept wanting to look for a stitch that didn't dissolve. Well, after over a YEAR I finally managed to get in to see him while it was still open. He dug around in the incision (again without numbing it - what's up with this!) and found no stitch, no nothing. He gave up and referred me to a general surgeon who would "revise" the hysterectomy. The general surgeon said this revision means reopening the whole incision and starting over. Oh, that sounds like fun... NOT.

Am I crazy, or could they not do a CT or some other diagnostic test (maybe a laparoscopy??) to look around and see if there is some foreign object left in there, or whatever the problem might be?? It would just seem logical to me. You would think with technology what it is today, with being able to see eggs IN the ovary with transvag ultrasound etc., they could see a sponge in your tummy or maybe a small pair of scissors, LOL. Whatever it is, it is causing me problems and pain and I want it FIXED.

Now that being said... the problem is, now nobody wants to touch me. Due to having a DVT a year and a half after my hyst, and finding out I have antiphospholipid antibody syndrome (APS), I am an extremely high surgical risk. Life threatening stuff only is what they tell me. It has to be a greater risk NOT to operate, in other words.

SO... what's a girl to do?? I guess I need some perspective on this. Maybe I should be more accepting of having to pack my tummy incision with powder every day, and put up with it leaking disgusting smelling stuff every couple of months. To me tho, it would seem there is some pocket of infection or something that is causing these recurring problems in the same place. AM I crazy?? Thanks ladies Y'all are the best. Love, Sheila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2005, 05:43 PM

Oh, Sheila....you aren't crazy. You have a nonhealing wound. I would suggest seeing an internist with mega experience in nonhealing wounds. We're a fairly small town and have a hyberbaric (sp?) chamber to assist the healing of chronically nonhealing wounds!!! This gyn of yours (OUCH!) apparently does not have much compassion. I would switch if it were me!

Unread 11-06-2005, 06:35 PM

Sheila: I saw a program a while ago on TV about a lady who had had surgery and her incision kept opening up like that. Come to find out the surgeon had left a sponge inside during the surgery. When they finally found it needless to say there was a raging infection. Have you tried irrigating it really good with hydrogen proxide? My incision came open following my hyst 2 years ago. My sister would come over three times a day and take a syringe and put it as far down in the incision as it would go and irrigate it with peroxide. Otherwise, I would recommend that you try to find a wound care center in your area. My mom had a problem with a wound that would not heal. She want to our local wound care center and within a short time was all fixed up. You poor dear. Try to keep your spirits up.

Lora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2005, 12:11 AM

It sure seems to me that you have put up with a lot! I dragged my family to the Niobrara this summer. We thought the people in Nebraska were sooo nice. A woman I work with says they are too nice. Her mother is dealing with breast cancer and she is too nice to argue with her docs when they ignore stuff they should not ignore. (sorry venting)
Incisions should heal. If they don't that is not your fault. I agree you should see a wound healing center. (diabetics have this problem I think) There is a hyperbaric clinic around here also. If you are not getting the help you need raise some heck.
I would be a basket case if I were going through what you are going through. Sending some hugs! please let us know how it is going! Good Luck!
Unread 11-10-2005, 07:38 AM

Sheila: Check out this post:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=229267

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register