Concerned | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Concerned

I'm 5 wks post op of TAH (Uterus and cervix taken)and have never been really consistant with pelvic floor exercises until recently. Today I had a small leak whilst out. It actually felt like I was bleeding, I had no control of it - it came from no where. I'm hoping it was from my pelvic floor being tired as I was doing some exercises not long before it happened. I'm praying I can correct this with strenghting my muscles without surgery. I'm going to make an appointment with a women's physio tomorrow. I'm just wondering wether anyone else has managed to fix their problem without surgery. I'd appreciate any info.
Lilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Concerned

Lilly,
I did end up having to have a vaginal vault prolapse surgery after my hyst so I can't answer your question about doing other things to help. I know kegal exercises can help to strenghthen the vaginal walls..my prolapse had gotten too bad (grade 3) for kegals to really help. I know you will get lots of answers and help for your questions, but just wanted to stop in and give you a You are still pretty early in your recovery from the hyst so I would still take it easy.

Best wishes!

Sherry
Unread 11-06-2005, 03:15 PM
Concerned

Lilly,
When you say "leaking from nowhere" it sounds like what I have. I have urine leaking from my vagina. Mine is called a Vasicovaginal Fistula which means my bladder and vagina have a link-should be impossible for urine to come out the vagina because they build a vaginal cuff from were the cervix sorta used to be. Sometimes they heal on there own and sometimes you need surgury to correct. Not saying thats what you have but you need to talk to your dr as soon as possible.
If it doesnt feel like its leaking from your urethra than its not and you may need a test called a cystogram. It doesnt hurt, they put dye into your bladder via a catheter and take x-rays and videos to see where the leak is.
When I went to my gyn with this problem at 5 weeks post op the drip stopped by the time I got to the office and I am not sure she 100% believed me where the urine was comming from. Then last week the ob practitioner examined me and said in her 10 years of exams she never saw urine in the vagine untill she saw me.
My leak started off as a very slow drip ( somes days it stopped)got much worse and now I am waiting to see if its going to close on its own, wish me luck and I wish you luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Concerned

I have to agree with catlady... see your doc asap. I also have a vesicovaginal fistula, mine is to large to heal on its own, I am currently awaiting surgery to repair it. IF, that is what you have the exercises will not help and the sooner they find it the better your chances of healing on your own. My doc told me no exercising until its fixed. My leaking gets much worse with movement. Everybodies symtoms are different, depending on the location of the bladder hole. I don't leak at all while sitting or laying down, but as soon as I am upright, watch out! See the doc, and take it easy.....
Unread 11-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Concerned

Thanks for your replies but I'm praying I don't have what you ladies have. I haven't leaked again at all. I am going to see the physio soon. I have taken onboard what you ladies have described and will certainly investigate any futher problems with my DR. I wish the very best to you all and are praying for all your recoveries.
What exactly is a fistula?
Lilly
Unread 11-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Concerned

A fistula is a connection between two organs that are not usually connected. Mine is between the bladder and vagina. My doc cut a hole in my bladder during myTAH, my body created the fistula as a way to get the urine leaking from that hole out of my body.

If your leaking has stopped, you may not have one, or your body is healing itself naturally. I would not exercise anymore until you have seen your doc. Make sure you tell him that it felt like you were bleeding. It took several weeks for them to diagnose mine correctly.

We are all rooting for it to be nothing. Your bladder can do weird things after abdominal surgery, it hates to be messed with.

Best of Luck,
CJ
Unread 11-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Concerned

Lilly,
Me and Cj are in the same boat.
My dr told me that lost of times its hard to separate the bladder from the uterus when the uterus is very deseased.
MIne were plastered together! When my dr tried to separate the organs my bladder popped open.
They must disect the bladder that sits on top of the uterus, move it aside then take out the uterus. A good experienced dr usually knows they caused a problem at the time the injury happened. My dr called in two other drs including a urologist to help close my bladder injury. I had about 12 stitches but my bladder never healed properly. I could see on my early bladder x-rays that urine was leaking into my body! I was told it would heal. Mine didnt heal and I am wearing this dang foley cath to try to let it heal naturally.
I pray you dont have a fistula! Get well soon. Please go to your dr as soon as possible.
Unread 12-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Drainage

fff[color=Purple]
Hello Everyone!
Well I am post op surgery it has been 5 weeks since my total Hyster..and about 10days ago I have started to have orange color..with red tints in it and well I thought it might be my iner stiches melting away, I am still getting dicharge, sometimes nothing and feels like I am having my period. It is such a strange feeling, Called my doctor's office yesterday and the nurse told me I would have these feelings up to 8 weeks, as long as I dont have a foul smell, or running a fever. It is all normal! Gosh...I dont like this feeling. Does any one else having this problem? Please I would love to hear input on this! And if this is normal! Very much wondering!
Paula

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register