Apprehensions about first 3 month check | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Apprehensions about first 3 month check Apprehensions about first 3 month check

Unread 04-06-2001, 02:33 PM
Apprehensions about first 3 month check

Hi everyone! I am new to this cite (been reading the message boards for a month or so though). What a wonderful and supportive place. I was so excited when I came across Hyster Sisters. I had a TAH/BSO in late November, 2000 for uterine cancer. I feel very fortunate that everything went very well and I did not need radiation or chemo afterwards. As someone else on this cite said the cancer is "gone but not forgotten". I am coming up on my first three month check next week and that not forgotten part is creeping into mind. Can anyone whose been there tell me what to expect going into and from this check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2001, 07:36 PM

I was examined internally...it did NOT hurt, just a bit uncomfortable. The doctor asked me some questions and I was given the opportunity to ask him as well. He will tell you how you are healing and wish you great health as you pay on your way out! (If you are going to be on HRT, this would be discussed also) Please don't get yourself all upset because it really wasnt' painful!!
Unread 04-06-2001, 08:25 PM

Oh, I remember the dread of the every three month appointment that first post-op year! All your thoughts about not trusting your body come back.

But in my case part of the dread was having yet another CT scan (they can never find a vein--sheesh). I too had an internal, quick poke around on the outside, asking how I felt and he'd whiz off to the next patient. It wasn't bad at all. The waiting was the worst part.

I think it reminds me to feel so grateful that mine was found so early.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2001, 01:35 AM

Hi Julia, welcome to the cancer forum, home of the most supportive and caring girls that any one could ask to have in their life. I am just wishing you luck with your 3 mth checkup and hope everything goes ok for you, love always x x
Unread 04-07-2001, 09:33 AM

Hi, I remember the dread well and as my follow up appointments were spread farther and farther apart the dread lessened but I think I will always be glad when the follow up appt is over and I get that clean bill of health. Unfortunatly when you have a gyn cancer you have more internal exams than most women have in a lifetime. I think my doctor can identify me better from my less attractive end! The follow up did not hurt though. It was a little uncomfortable because my vagina is small from shrinking from the radiation but it is not painful. Now that the treatment or surgery is over and you are not as in shock over the diagnosis you may have some more long term questions for the doctor. If you think of any write them down. Good luck at the appointment and take care of yourself as you pass this next hurdle.
Unread 04-07-2001, 07:45 PM
Close by

I see you are from near Philly. I live in Phila and have been treated at the Frankford Torresdale Cancer Center. I really like them there. They've help me through this trying experience. I have my 1st Pap smear in May. The 1st of many, every 6 months. I can imagine when that time comes round I'll be feeling abit like you too. The initial 3 month checks are not bad. They are very careful. Use it as a good time to ask any questions you have been building up. take care
Unread 04-08-2001, 08:14 PM
Anticipation worse than exam

I too have to go every 3 months for a pelvic exam and my first pap since surgery (6/2/2000) is scheduled for May 10th. My doctor simply told me to relax and, before I knew it, he was done. The first one was a little uncomfortable because I didn't know what to expect, but the doc was very gentle with me. I have a different perspective on an exam now -- better than chemo!!!
I didn't need chemo either -- or radiation. I need to see doc every 3 months for the first 2 years and then every 6 months for the next 10 years.
Unread 04-09-2001, 03:54 AM

I had a radical TAH BSO on 3/16/01 for cervical CA. Had my post-op appt on day 10 after surgery for check-up, staple removal and discussion of pathology report. I ended up with an internal exam, which terrifed me when I realized my DD was going to do it!! I had started with a vaginal discharge one week post-op and DD wanted to take a "quick look". I was so surprised when there was no pain at all....he was very gentle. He even did some "swabbing" with a solution, which DD said was something like a douche. DD said that everything was normal. The good thing about it is that I'm not nervous about having my next internal exam and PAP. Good thing, I guess, since as someone else said, I'll be having more of them over the next years than most women have in a lifetime!!

P.S. Not complaining about all the future exams....post-op path reports showed that all cancer was removed during surgery...which I am more thankful for than words can say!
Unread 04-13-2001, 06:16 AM
3 month check

Thanks to all of you that responded to my over-anxiousness. And as it turned out, as usual, I was over-anxious about it. It did not hurt, and DD says there are no signs of anything returning. Everything was removed during the surgery and I too am SO THANKFUL that at times it just overwhelms me. Every 3 mos. for two years and every 6 mos. the next five is nothing after all I've (we've) been through.
JuneAli, it is nice to know there is a "sister" close by. I'm out in the suburbs of Philly. Had my surgery etc. at Phoenixville Hosp. They were great! Hope to talk to you again.
Unread 04-13-2001, 09:37 AM

You didn't think that we would steer you wrong, did you? Glad that all went well for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register