i saw my family doctor today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i saw my family doctor today i saw my family doctor today

Unread 11-07-2005, 03:43 PM
i saw my family doctor today

well if you have read any of my earlier posts you know i was referred by my gyn surgeon to a uro/gyn for rectocele and my appointment is not until november 23. i was referred back in september, this uro/gyn is really hard to get in to see! anyway, since september i have had alot of bladder problems, retention, leaking, pain, etc, etc!well i went in today to see my family doc and she examined me and she says i have a grade 2 cystocele also!i guess that explains all my bladder issues so i will be having surgery for cystocele and rectocele. whats the recovery like? i'd like to hear from women who had this done AFTER a hysterectomy if anyone has.thanks sisters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Darla,
I had a vaginal vault prolapse surgery about 4 years after my hyst. The initial recovery period was 6 weeks. I was pretty sore and it hurt to sit for a while. The same restrictions applied as the hyst, wait 6 weeks to have intercourse, take a bath, put anything in the vagina, etc and no lifting over a gallon of milk. No cleaning the house, vacuuming etc. I could do stairs very slowly and carefully. I still try not to lift anything over about 20 lbs. I went back to work at 6 weeks. The pain in the recovery period was not too bad..there were good and bad days just like with the hyst. My urogyn gave me Percocet for pain as I recall and I did call to get more..he only gave me enough for a week. I was not nearly as tired after the prolapse surgery as I was after the hyst. All in all it wasn't a bad recovery. Just take it easy, get lots of rest..just like the hyst.

Best wishes!
Sherry
Unread 11-07-2005, 05:19 PM

Hello!

I had cystocele, rectocele, enterocele & vaginal vault repairs about 3 years after my TAH/BSO. My uro/gyn said he gives his patients 6 weeks off, on the paperwork, but most go back at 4 weeks. That's what I did, although I did half days my first week back. I found this surgery to be much easier on me than the TAH/BSO. Of course, I had a MUCH better doctor this time around. It hurt very bad to get up from a sitting position, walking around hurt & lying down was uncomfortable until I found a good position. But all that lasted only about 1 week...I did take percocets for the pain and to help me get some sleep. Be sure to take a stool softener and a gentle laxative (my doc recommended Colace and Senokot)) For me, I had light spotting for almost 6 weeks, my doctor told me this was normal and that it will go away (it did!!). I hope your recovery goes as smoothly as mine did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2005, 05:53 PM

thank you for your replies! i'm not sure when i will be scheduled for the surgery, probably not till january, i'd hate to be recovering during the christmas holiday! to much to do !!!!!
Unread 11-08-2005, 05:23 AM

Hi Darla,
Sounds like you and I will be doing the same thing in January. I've asked lots of questions of the gyn and the uro (they will do their respective surgeries concurrently). My gyn said he didn't want me to go far from home for 3 weeks and I would be sore for a while, and to get a donut pillow to use to ease pressure from sitting. He said after 6 weeks, for HIS repair (the rectocele) he had no restrictions. He said the uro is very protective of his bladder work and doesn't want to have to do it again, and that's why the uro told me NEVER to lift anything over 25 lbs again. And during the recovery period nothing at all, no lifting whatsoever. But the uro said he thought recovery - for his repairs - would only be a couple of weeks, and I could get back to normal work routine after that. Sherry has warned me that it will take longer, and I agree, after talking to both the gyn and the uro, that it is sure to take longer to get back on my feet and regain energy.

I have been constipated pretty much since my hyst, and worse since the rectocele came about, so I've been taking the new chocolate Citrucel in the mornings with a stool softener, and two Fibercon tablets in the evenings, and things seem to be going more smoothly. When I had my colonoscopy last month the gastroenterologist gave me a prescription for Miralax which is helpful, but also said to take the extra fiber things like Citrucel or Metamucil (he said whatever I wanted, just keep increasing that kind of fiber). The Miralax is no problem to take, but the increased soluble fiber seems to be the best solution. Another thing that is a great help is those new All Bran bars that have psyllium in them. They are filling and I seem prone to drink lots of water with them. So I'm keeping them on hand for when I get around to my surgery in January. I do not want to have to deal with constipation during that recovery. I am not as brave as I used to think am

My gyn also suggested that the holidays might be a good time to have the surgery with time off and all, but I have to do some long-distance car trips and probably lots of activity at that time so I'm going to wait until January, as early as possible.

Oh, BTW, when I asked the gyn exactly what he was going to do, he also said he would check to see if maybe the vaginal cuff might need to be secured, too. Sounds good to me, I don't care to have any more of my parts 'lapsing!! And a single recovery time suits me fine.

Desk
Unread 11-08-2005, 07:39 PM

Darla & Desk
I am in the same situation as you two are only I have not had a hysterectomy. I have a grade 4 cystocele, a rectocele and need vaginal vault repairs. My urogyn is going to take my uterus out when she does the surgery. I am scheduled for surgery on Jan 11. My visit to my urogyn was Sept 6 but she is so busy the first I could get scheduled for surgery was Dec 7 so I decided to wait til after the holidays. I sometimes wish I would have went ahead and did it on the 7th. Things are getting worse I have to wear the Fembrace all the time now and am leaking quite abit plus very frequent trips to the bathroom. Did they say anything to you about having to come home from the hospital with a catether. My urogyn said I would be in the hospital day of surgery plus two days and would probably have to come home with a cathether for a few days because of the way my bladder is. I go for a urodynamics test on Nov 28th. I am afraid my bladder won't work right after the surgery but I can't go on like this either. Also I work were I am on my feet all day and do alot of lifting and I am afraid I will have to look for another type of work.
Unread 11-08-2005, 09:03 PM

Dar,
You poor thing..grade 4. My prolapses were grade 3 and I thought that was uncomfortable, but I can't even imagine how you must feel. You are going to feel so much better after your surgery I'm sure. I came home with a suprapubic catheter..the kind that comes out of an incision in your pubic area..no fun, but it really helped me to retrain my bladder. It didn't come out for about 9 days. I was not that happy about having it but what can you do? ha You will have to watch what you lift after...how many lbs do you normally have to lift at work? I was in the hospital 3 days and then home and was happy for every minute of it because trully I did not feel that great while in the hospital. When I got home I did start to feel better and my husband really helped me..he did everything for me for which he received alot of brownie points. ha

Best wishes to you and s!
Sherry
Unread 11-09-2005, 04:14 AM

Sherry
Thanks for your reply. Your right I am very uncomfortable Not to be gross but my bladder feels like it is completely out and most times when i sit you can feel it going back up in. I had been Dr with a regular gyn and she said I would sometime down the road need surgery but I would have to quit working and most of the time you would need surgery again on down the road. So I kept putting it off. This summer I was meserable so I made an appointment on my own at a urogyn. I was just expecting her to be able to put a pessary in and I would be feeling better. When she told me I had a grade 4 cytocele also had a rectocele and my vaginia wall was just about gone I was in shock. I work in a school cafeteria I have been there over 20 years. I am a cook so lift alot of heavy items plus on my feet all day I work 7 1/2 hours a day. Plus put in there all the cases of milk and ice tea I lift which are around 40lbs. a piece. My urogyn says she sees alot of women who do the same kind of work I do. Kind of makes you wonder if you should go back. I have done this for over 20 years. Sherry did you have trouble getting your bladder to work right after the cathether came out in nine days. That is a big fear of mine plus being laid up for awhile My husband will be a big help to me but I am afraid it will wear off after awhile cause I am a person who likes to do everything for them self and he is not used to having to do alot around the house. LOL
Dar
Unread 11-09-2005, 05:13 AM

Oh Dar what a predicament you are in! My uro was pretty adamant about never lifting any more than 25 lbs after I am healed, because he explained that only part of the support is in the bone, and the rest is in muscle tissue which can tear, and leave you with no support again. I, too, am wondering about how to proceed after spending my life being the strong one, and lifting things frequently. At times at work I have heavy things to life, but daily I bring papers and bottles of water home and always seem to have my arms full of things that may end up being too heavy. I think it will take some restructuring, although not NECESSARILY quitting your job. I'm already working on how I can get work back and forth from home and the office (I telework one day a week) and the days that I have to collect water samples, well, I'll have to get someone to help me transfer the heavy things. Give some creative thought to how you might be able to lighten the loads while at work - it might work! I hope so!!

As for the catheter, my uro told me the very first day that I would go home with a suprapubic catheter and I'd have it for at least a week. Obviously if there are problems then the cath may have to stay longer, but he was up front with this situation. So Sherry has eased my fears about it, and this whole forum has given me lots of strength to face whatever happens.

Sending you s and hoping you feel better soon,
Desk
Unread 11-09-2005, 04:50 PM

Dar,
I didn't have any trouble peeing after the catheter came out. It was pretty smooth sailing. I was so glad to get it out that I was practically dancing all the way out to the car. My mother in law didn't know what to do with me! ha It is amazing what we can get through. When they told me I would have to have a catheter I thought I was going to hurl...really..but, I did ok. As far as the lifting...my urogyn really didn't give me an amount of pounds to never lift again. I am a receptionist in a dr's office so I don't have to lift on a regular basis at work, but do lift things at home..groceries, move furniture, etc. He basically said don't go out and start lifting very heavy weights. As Desk said maybe you can work things out to where you don't have to lift that much and still keep your job. My sister in law is a cook in a school cafeteria so I know what you are saying..she tells me sometimes they have the maintenace workers come in a do the heavy lifting. It's a thought. You will do fine and you really don't have another option with a grade 4..pessaries don't normally work for 3's and 4's. I just believe everything will all work out in the end.
I'll be thinking about you, Dar. Sherry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register