Prolapse - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-22-2005, 06:08 AM
Prolapse

Truer words were never spoken, sister!
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos
I feel like you have to "steer" doctors to the conclusion.
kos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Prolapse

I called my doctor's office last Monday and told them I thought I was having another UTI. I seem to have had these frequently since surgery for pelvic prolapse in June. I never get to talk to the doctor only the nurse. Well, she told me I would have to come in for a urine test at the lab. I did on Tuesday and was told it would be 3-4 days for them to get the results. Now due to Thanksgiving, I'm afraid it may take longer. Is this normal to have to wait 3-4 days for results? I've been to a urologist before and they seem to be able to tell you if you have an infection before you leave the office. I would surely like to get some medication and get this helped before it becomes more painful.
Unread 11-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Prolapse

Agape, I was wondering what your symptoms are.
I started having what I thought was a possible UTI a
couple of mo.s ago, went to the Dr. she did a dip test
in the office there, nothing showed up, but I was still
having a lot of discomfort. The pain starts right at
the beginning of the urthrea and moves up, I was not
having the baring down spasms usually associated with
a UTI, but was really hurting. Anyway I went home
confused, then the next day, it really hit me, bad
spasms and blood in the urine. So I called back and she
called me in sulfer, I felt immediately better, and continued to be better. But then we had sex, and the
whole thing started over just like it did before, but never progressed to the spasms. It eventually got better, and then we had sex the next weekend and it
has started again, so I took one of the sulfer drugs and
no more, and it did get better. Well we had sex a couple of nights ago and guess what, the same pain is
back, it doesn't hurt during sex, it takes about 12 hours to start. I just don't know what is going on. I had an
appt. with a urologist and he said that I didn't have anything visibly wrong, was emptying, and just a little prolapse, and no infection at the time, but he didn't do
a culture. I was told before it didn't show up in the dip,
so I am really confused. One thing is for sure, it has been happening every time about 12 hours after sex.
I am wondering if I have a chronic infection and and the trauma after sex just sets it off. I am doing everything that you are suppose to do to prevent them.
I haven't thought about it but I have had pain after I
urinate a lot of the time since I had the enterocele repair, so it makes me wonder if the surgery left behind some infection or something. My sister-in-law
had a rectocele repair a few mo.s ago and has been
having re-current UTIs and her culture has come back
several times positive for bacteria, I'm thinking something is going on with these surgeries. I know they put a stitch in the bladder to hold it out of the
way, because my sister-in-law said her Dr. told her he
may have left one in there, and that may be the source of the problem. She has been on antibiotics now for 2
mo.s. She and I both are scheduled for a cystoscope
in a couple of weeks, but I don't know if I want them
messing with me anymore. But the answer to your question, they probably had to send it off, and I think
they have to wait to see if it grows anything, which that is what you really need if you are having a problem with this, but it does look like they could give you something for the discomfort. Can you describe your
pain or discomfort? If anybody knows anything please
chime in.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Prolapse

Agape,
Even though it is very hard to wait from what I understand the wait is so they can do a culture and see exactly what strain of bacteria is there so they can give you the appropriate antibiotic. I waited almost a full week..the lab my insurance covers is very slow so I am told..but, I don't think it is unusual to have to wait. As a matter of fact, my girlfriend has recurrent infections and they don't do the culture they just prescribe Cipro every time so I think doing the culture is definitely the way to go even though it takes forever. Hope you feel better soon!
Sherry
Unread 11-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Prolapse

Miss Emma, does your girlfriend' s Dr. tell her why she
has recurrent UTI's? I can't seem to get the straight of
it.
Unread 11-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Prolapse

He doesn't do a culture of the urine to find out which specific organism is causing the infection. Instead he just prescribes Cipro usually, but this must not be the antibiotic for the specific organism causing her infections thus in a week or two she will have another one. There are many different strains of infection and antibiotics which are specific to that particular strain. That is why any dr worth their salt will send it out for culture regardless of whether it takes longer to get started on the antibiotic and be over the symptoms.
Sherry
Unread 11-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Prolapse

slt, I just read your other post. Are you taking HRT? I know my friend does not take any at all and her gyn did say this could be a reason for the bladder infections and irritation after sex.
Sherry
Unread 11-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Prolapse

Hello, just wanted to tell you about my experiences. I had a anterior /posterior repair back in the stone ages, after the breech birth of a 9 '4oz baby. I was quite young and they also tied my tubes at the time. & years later I have to have a hysto, due to large fibroid tumor in unerus , so big it is actually growing out the cervix. They left the ovaries, but 6 months later they had to remove them as they had huge cysts on them and one was shrivled up and non functioning,(i had low estrogen levels and symptoms of menopause even then). the next yr they attempted a bladder repair and it failed, so the doc said. This year in april i had to have a vaginal vault repair as it was prolapsing . i don't really remember any pain except cramping, which i still have I also had what they called a "floppy uretha" that they repaired. They also found a fibroid tumor at the apex of my vaina. The doc said it was very rare for a fibroid to be there. Anyway, the surgery was done vaginally and I had to wear a urine bag for 1 week so the uretha could heal. When i went in for them to remove the tube in my uretha, i nearly fainted b/c urine started coming out of the insertion site . I was terrifed. Urine is not suppowed to come out of that area. So I did ok with recovery and now when i need to urinate i have to sit down and actually wait for a minute or two. the doc said that is how the repair functions. I am still cramping so not sure what is wrong. I only have my bladdder downt here and the vagianl cuff . Somethingis not ok. I still have a bulge when i need ot have a bowel movement. the doc knew this prior to my surgery, but decided not to reapirit as he did not feel it woud improve it . I don't understnd that. I'm going to get another opinion.
vali
Unread 11-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Prolapse

Hi Sisters,
Just wanted to give you all an update. I'm on my second wave of antibiotics. The first three day run of them didn't get rid of the bladder infection so I had to go back. I'm on five days of Siprol now and I'm doing much better. I'm going back to the doctor in a couple of days just to make sure it's gone. Still going to see my gyn on the 13th. I've got a few things to say to him and I'm still keeping my appointment at the womens center. Thank you all again for your words of wisdom. Hugs and prayers to you all
Unread 12-02-2005, 08:19 AM
Prolapse

Miss Emma, yes I am on a compound of 5estrol and 60
progesterone. I started on that dose a few mo.s ago
and it really did seem to help, but the NP had started
that dose as a loading dose to pull up my low progesterone, and then cut back to 5/30 and I felt like
that was not doing the job, so just this wk I have started back on the higher dose. I had been on the patch of estrodial in varing doses and that for sure never helped anything but the hot flashes, that is why
I changed to the compound. My vagina has not been
right since my hyst 5 yrs ago. But this bladder thing has
just started. It feels like it is in the urethra mostly.
The vagina pain starts about 12 hrs. after sex and lasts
about 12 hrs. that does get better, usually the next day, but the urethra thing hangs on, I have been taking
one of the sulfer drugs and it does get better in a few days, but it is hell while it is going on. Nothing ever hurts
for the first few hrs, it is always later. I am scheduled
for a cystocope Dec. 12th and I am nervous about them
messing with the urethra, making it more vunerable.
I have just had so much pain down there I don't want to
make things worse. One thing I know for sure is that I
cannot use estrogen cream. I keep hearing how this
helps everyone, and I keep trying to use it, but I start
feeling like I am getting yeast, don't know if that is it
or not, but it is the same symptom, like something crawling in there, it was so bad yesterday I had to try to
flush the cream out at work, and that was not easy, but
it did help a lot. I have tried vagifem also, to no avail,
as a matter of fact I had the same thing when I was on
the estrogen patch, and that is one of the things that
improved with the progesterone, one less thing to hurt
in there. My vagina is what was really affected by this
surgery I have had one pain or another in there, ranging
from burning to throbbing. Has anyone else had this
problem with estrogen? It seems to be a cure all with
some women, but it aggravates things with me, it does
help the hot flashes, but the progestrogene does not, or
the estrol.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register