I live alone and have pets | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I live alone and have pets I live alone and have pets

Unread 11-10-2005, 07:17 AM
I live alone and have pets

Hi Ladies,

This is my first post after lurking for several weeks. What a great web site! I am scheduled for a TAH for fibroids on Dec. 15th and have been doing a lot of homework. While I have many questions in general, I am very concerned about how I will take care of my 2 dogs (EllieMay,28lbs & Gingi,11lbs) and my 4 month old kitten, Asia. I will board the dogs during and for a few days after surgery and my cat sitter will come in and take care of the baby. I do have some help as my mother lives about 20 minutes away and my best friend lives nearby. I also have employees that can come over but I will still be alone a great deal of the time. Any suggestions on how I do simple things like fill the dog's water bowl and feed them since they are fed on the floor. How long before I will be able to pick things up off the floor? The kitten is fed up on a table so no problem there. I don't think the kitten will be too much trouble. I have a self cleaning litter box that works OK, not great but will do.

I have a fenced yard for the dogs but I go out with them because there are hawks that live in the woods behind my house and my little dog is fair game. I feel confident I will be able to walk in the yard but if I have to pick up the little dog for any reason will I be able to?

I will probably have more questions but my furbabies are my biggest concern.

Jodi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2005, 07:23 AM

Hello Jodi,
I also have fur babies, but mine are big ones, golden retrievers! I was able to bend down VERY CAREFULLY right away (but I did follow the lifting restrictions as to weight very carefully ~ as these are extremely important). Hopefully your little dog does not weigh very much. You will need to walk after your surgery, and a short walk when your dogs are outside would be something that I could have done (but I only had a TVH).

Good luck, and please let us know how you are doing.

Love,
Anna
Unread 11-10-2005, 07:49 AM

Everyone is different, but I was able to walk with my dog a few days after returning from the hospital. Suggestions; for dog food bowls buy paper plates and/or paper bowls, if you can't bend to retrieve after they've finished a friend or relative can when they visit. Not a big deal. You could also do this with water bowls. Or use a pitcher and pour water into the bowl while standing. Hopefully your pooches are not too fussy. Take treats with you in the back yard, use treats to lure dogs to you if there is danger...practice now. My dog will follow me anywhere for his favorite treat! I read advice on this board to keep a pillow with me when sitting or laying around to protect my tender belly from jumping pets, it worked out just fine. During my recovery period at home, I learned what my pets do while I'm at work...mostly sleep, sleep, and more sleep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2005, 08:02 AM

I also live alone and had a 5 month old "rescue" puppy @ the time, as I had said after my Great Pyreneese died in May that I was going to wait until after my surgery was over until I got another-just did not work out that way-as the pup was found on the interstate and picked up

Anyway, she stayed in the kennel @ the vet for 3 1/2 weeks-because although friends offered to come in and walk her, etc.-I could not risk having her jump up on my incision-I had a vertical cut. And, being a puppy, I would have worried about her @ someone else's house.

What was very helpful to me was a self feeding bowl as well as a self watering dish-which I pured bottled water into. Both can be purchased @ Walmart. The feeding bowl I just took cups of food and poured in @ a time-so I did not have to lift too much. Of great help too-was a "grabber" that I purchased @ linens and things and I believe that you can get on this website or any drug store-which prevents you from having to bend over to pick things up off the floor, etc.

You will do just fine and so will your pets. My cat just loved being an "only child" with no dog here-she has never known that.

Best wishes w/everything

Sweet Pea
TAH w/ unplanned BSO for giant fibroid uterus weighing 1238 gms.
Endo, adeno and adhesions also found. On Vivelle Dot.
Unread 11-10-2005, 10:06 AM

{{{gingi}}} Good luck with your surgery. I love sweetpea's idea, I have the self watering and feeding dishes and I was glad I did after surgery. You need to be very careful about lifting and bending after surgery. I also took my grabber to the hospital and it was very handy when I dropped something. Another thing you might think about is your kittys food, if it is in a can with a pull tab top, you might want to think about opening a few cans ahead of time and placing them in a container that you can open easier. I couldn't pull that hard when I got home! My poor kitty would have starved if not for my kids. Take care of you!
Unread 11-10-2005, 11:07 AM

Hi Jodi!
I am also worried about my dogs. I have 5 of them! 2 are Italian Mastiffs the male being 135 pounds and the female 110. I also have 3 Shar-peis--50lbs--47lbs--42lbs.
I don't have a worry as to letting them out or feeding them since I will have help with my son and hubby. My main concern is jumping on the bed and sleeping with us. Last night it was 3 of them, 2 of them being the big ones. We have spoiled them rotten and now when I am going to need to be as still as possible, I am regretting it!
I am more worried about this more than anything else.
I like the suggestion about the pillows but when a 135 pound dogs wants to be loved on there isn't a pillow made that is going to stop him!
I am thinking of getting one of those big back rests to deter them from my tummy.
We can't just close the bedroom door since we have a accordian door and they can go right through it.
Hopefully I will think of something!
If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate them!!

Kwooe
Unread 11-10-2005, 11:35 AM

I had a TAH and was not really able to bend over and pick up anything off the floor until about the 2nd week. You might be able to sit in a chair first and then lean over to pick up the dog bowls but if so do it carefully. I like the suggestion about using the self feeder and water bowls. Another suggestion would be to have your pet sitter continue to come over for at the first week you are home. I know there is a charge for that but it is better than you trying to do something that may hurt you.
Unread 11-10-2005, 11:56 AM

Hi there
I, too, have a large furchild...110 pound Rotti

I filled her waterbowl with little bottles of water (500ml) and put her kibble in her bowl one cup at a time. She gets no canned food so her bowl is "relatively" clean all the time.

As far as Gingi's initial question, will she be able to pick up the little one in time? I wouldn't suggest putting yourself into the position of having to react QUICKLY to a predator bearing down on your little dog and the possibility of having to scoop up something that weighs more than your teacup for the first couple weeks. It will depend on how you feel, of course, but I wouldn't chance it.

I won't be cleared to WALK my dog on leash until March sometime. Even though she is very well trained and socialized, she sure loves those bunnies and squirrels.

KWOOE - I put a couple pillows lengthwise in the bed and told my furbaby that she could lay on the pillows but that was it. She seemed to know that she wasn't supposed to be near my tummy. She layed at the foot of the bed with her head no further up than my knees.
The other thing, I let her smell my belly when I got home.
I guess I should add in here that she usually sits in my lap (well, pre-op that is). She would jump up on the couch beside me, back up until her butt was up against my leg, then lean back until I cradled her like a baby. (Can you picture this?)

Hope you get your furchild concerns resolved.

Autumn
Unread 11-10-2005, 12:18 PM

Autumn,

YES!!! I can picture her sitting in your lap because my male does the same thing! It is so funny how they do that! My male then expects me to just love on him for the rest of the night. He is a love hound.
My male is the only one that I am really concerned about because he is the one that expects attention at all times and if I am just not up to it he then pushes himself on me until I give in. Licking me, nudging my hands, laying his head on my pillow and sighing, then if I still ignore him he will do his 135 pound roll around on the bed and act a fool!
He is my big silly guy.

I didn't think of letting him see and smell my tummy, if I have surgery that way. I think this might help since when one of the other dogs gets hurt he smells them and then licks them and tends to be careful, for a period of time.

I will probably build a wall of pillows around me so they can't get in!! LOL Maybe I will move to Hawaii for a little while!

Thank you for the advice!

Best wishes,
Kwooe
Unread 11-10-2005, 03:21 PM

Something else I forgot to mention that also helped once I brought my puppy home was I kept my travel pillow in my pants all the time...just in case she jumped up. With the draw string waist-it was easy. But talk about looking like your pregnant! It did not irritate my incision and I had a vertical cut-just put it in between your underwear and your pants.

For those of you who have such big dogs-this should work well to cushion you as well. When I would go visit her @ the vet when she was being boarded, I would do this as well. Just in case she got overly excited and jumped up on me. My doctor was adimate about not letting her jump up on my incision.

I absolutley love big dogs, my Great Pyreneese, Magnolia, weighed 126 lbs. passed away from lymphoma in May. She was only 8 1/2. Broke my heart in a millon pieces.

Hope the pillow will be helpful. I purchased mine @ Bed Bath and Beyond for about $5.00.

Sweet Pea

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register