Were you warned? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Were you warned? Were you warned?

Unread 11-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Were you warned?

Hi sisters
I was wondering, from all you sisters who have had pelvic floor problems post op. How many of you were actually warned about them?
Not me

Sue
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Were you warned?

Luckily, I have not had those complications, but I was warned about EVERYTHING that could go wrong (even death) before my hysterectomy. He went on an on about nerve damage, bladder damage, etc and I must have had this look like "forget it" because he said "we'd of course "TRY" to fix anything we harmed while in there, but just letting you know the risks.

From liability standpoint, I am shocked that all doctors are not that upfront about possible complications. I am so sorry if your consent was not informed consent!

Unread 11-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Were you warned?

I was told about the complications surgery could cause such as bleeding, bladder perforation, wghich may require further surgery. I was also told about anesthesia complications and the risk of HIV, etc. if I require a transfusion. As much as I like and respect my dr. he never told me about the chances of pelvic floor problems occuring after having the hyst.I wish he would have told me about alot of things he didn't. I pretty much went into the surgery unaware of emotional and physical changes that may affect my life. It was a emergency type of situation though and 10 days din't give me much time to adjust to a life changing situation. I had 2 seperate prolapse surgeries and a tvt with in 16 months of my hyst.
You think they would be more thorough, wouldn't you?

PEGGY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Were you warned?

I had my hyst for pelvic floor problems (understatement ). At the time, I was given a flyer that listed every possible type of complication from the surgery, which did include - yep - MORE pelvic floor problems. I didn't have a choice anyway; it's not like I could have decided not to have the surgery because of that risk, or any other. I find that having accepted that I had no choice has made dealing with the complications I have had much, much easier.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Were you warned?

Hi there, I

I wasn't warned about it either but I was told after my 8 week check up that I'd need to do pelvic floor exercises otherwise I could have problems. I was travelling okay until recently when I had a cashew go down the wrong way and all the coughing has seen me with some stress incontinence. I'm hoping when the coughing dies down and if I keep up with the exercise sI will overcome it again.

Take care.......Karen
Unread 11-12-2005, 03:05 AM
Were you warned?

Hi Sue,
I had my hyst and bladder/sling 7+ years ago. I was warned of possible bladder complications , however back then, my biggest fear was incontinece nothing else, which I was assured that could be fixed. I did have my hyst and sling for prolaps problems, but not warned of the possibility of "future" prolaps.
But to be quite honest, I basicly really heard "blah, blah, blah.....It would "never" happen to me anyway!! OH......What I know now.....!! And how VERY nieve I was!!!
As we all know hined sight is 20/20! I just really think that web sites like this is sooo very wonderful!!! At least now....women can have an informed decission ...if they happen to run by this site! I really wish there was a way this web site could be posted on every T.V. in every Doctors office and every billboard!! I really think it would cause theses Doctors to STOP doing unessisary surgery and to certiantly be MORE accountable for what they are doing!!
I realise there are No gaurentees in any of this but I think if women really knew ...what and how to ask or "interview" these Doctors in would certiantly be a benifit to all of us!!
Just My opinion......
Take care....Netty
Unread 11-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Were you warned?

Here! Here! (((((((((Netty)))))))))
That's how I feel, looking back, how naive I was. But I do hold myself a little responsible for that, because I hadn't really taken the time to find out anything either, well, not much beyond the basics of endometriosis. I wish I'd known then what I know now! And really, I could have - but somehow - I didn't research hard enough. Probably the fact that I was working full time and managing a very large household didn't leave me much time or energy come to think of it! And I know I had some odd times away sick from work because of the endo probs etc, but I have NEVER been away sick as much as I have POST op! I got a letter this morning from the authority telling me that my 28 weeks statutory sick pay was up! Bloomin 'eck I thought, 28 weeks! Sometimes I doubt that I will ever get back there
The above mentioned hospitals who have taken the time to provide leaflets etc deserve some credit here, as does Michelle's lovely doctor!
Thanks for all ya input sisters
big s
Sue
x
Unread 11-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Were you warned?

Sue,
I too take responcibility for my ignorance...but..I don't know about you, but at that time in my life..DOCTORS WERE GODS!! They could do no wrong!! I never had a reason to even dought anything they told me!!
Oh the things I have learned since then!! When I went to the Univercity Hospital and seen the Neurologist...he actually asked me if I was nurse!! I said NO, I admit I totaly OBBSESS with reseach NOW!!
It really seems you do get treated a little better if you seem to show some knowledge on the subject!! Unfortunatly for me the unexpected out comes hasnt changed for me even with all the research!! Bad things happen...and we don't have control over that!!
In my opinion though the best Doctors are the ones who actually "HEAR" you when your speaking and know that "YOU" know your body best!! And exspecialy the ones who admit...it's beyond there expertise!! Those are the best Doctors!!! I have more respect for them then any other!!....Netty
Unread 11-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Were you warned?

(((((((Netty))))))))
Yeah, I did too. I thought they were the ones who knew all and had seen all. I was brought up that way. At the end of the day, we have to accept, that they are getting up each day and just "going to work" like millions of other people. Some are better at their jobs than others in every profession. And they are bound to have "off" days too. It is definitely a lottery out there.

I'm so glad I discovered this site, I only wish I'd found it before tah/bso. When I look back, I was really gullible. I think I'm over the grieving bit now and accepting what has happened. You and other sisters here are an inspiration to me. Your strength and determination to be pain free picks me up and gets me going again - for that, I am truly grateful.
I don't feel good today, tired, achey and swollen, but I do feel inspired.
I have just sat and watched the whole armistice parade on TV where the queen and war veterans in their thousands laid poppys and paid tribute to all the people who died in the war. I shed a few tears, for you could see the pride and pain in their faces. And there they were, in their grand old ages, still battling onwards in this life. War is a terrible thing and really, that is what we are facing. We are captains in charge of our own war. Knowledge is our weapon and the doctors are our soldiers. And it seems that many battles have to be fought before the war is won.
I am rambling a bit now, sorry. It's so good to know that I am not alone in all of this.
Big s from
Sue
x
ps Hope your recovery is coming along ok and gas pains are easing up
Unread 11-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Were you warned?

Hi Sue,
I too am haveing a bad day today! I didnt sleep well last night..everytime I moved I felt some pain! My hip is bothering me and has some lumps in it. My neck is killing me and my belly...everytime I take a deep breath it hurts! It's hurts where the gallbladder was...it feels like something is rubbing in there! Just grin and bear it I suppose!
I have to grocery shop today if I want some food in this house! My 8 year old some is a huge help to me..so I should get through that ok! He is such a sweet boy..a real Mama's boy right now! I know that wont last forever soo I going to savor every moment!!
Last night we were sitting on the couch watching TV and a little girl was on a show crying...her Mom had to go away for a couple days and she didnt want her to go..My Son said..Mom thats how I felt...I didnt want you to go either! I really hate the thought of haveing to tell him I have to go again in about a week for my follow-up..Poor kid!
I'm just really hopeing to get some sort of answers this time! They did run alot of blood work and some of which I had never heard of! So just maybe...they'll have some answers for these stinken reactions!!
Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon also! It really stinks to feel so rotten and still have to raise the family...life does go on...I can either choose to waller in self pitty or take one day at a time and hope for the best! Thats what keeps me going just knowing that one day....someone will figure this all out!! Not just for me but for everybody!!
Keep your chin up Sue..as long as we "sister's" stick together we'll get through all this!! Take care...Netty

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register