Were you warned? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Were you warned? Were you warned?

Unread 11-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Were you warned?

No my dr. said nothing about the hysterectomy compromising my pelvic floor. I had no idea about that! But, as I have thought about it since it stands to reason. My uterus was prolapsed..that is why my gyn did a vaginal hyst. He said I would be a great candidate for a vaginal since the urterus was right there. I had a grade 3 vaginal prolapse after the hyst. I do take responsibility for my ignorance, although I really feel that when my dr told me I needed a hyst I was totally overwhelmed and my intentions were good...I thought I researched everything very thouroughly at the time, but found out later they were a whole lot more things to think about than I ever imagined so somehow I think it would be nice to be guided. My dr was the type who put a very positive spin on everything and felt like the less I knew the better. When I mentioned going on the internet to research the hyst he told me that was not good.
Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Were you warned?

(((((((Netty!))))))))) Shop!!!!!!!!! Shopping is a no no so early in your recovery and you KNOW it Princess! Can't you get stuff delivered? I tell ya, I have had all sorts delivered in the past few weeks from the forever open world wide web!!
I understand how you feel about your little boy, it gets me that way too. My own mother died when I was 9 nearly 10 and for the latter five years of that she was in the hospital. I hate leaving the kids to go in to hospital. I sometimes think they like having me out of the way tho so that they can all go a bit wild!!
Please try and do your resting, you know how important it is, and I truly hope you are feeling better now
Sherry
Yeah, my doctor put a good spin on it too, and not only my doctor, but even friends and family look down on my using the internet for research. Which annoys me, it means that they don't think I will be able to suss out the rubbishy quack from the important stuff! Have you had your prolapse repaired? Are you ok now? Hate to ask this, but has anything else happened? I am so scared of everything going south again!
Big s to all
Sue
x
Unread 11-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Were you warned?

Hi Sue,
Thank You for your concern, but unfortunatly thats the price I do have to pay for now being a single parent! My Son was a great help today and did put all the bags into the cart today! When we got home he carried them into the house too.
I actually still feel pretty crummy right now!! My guts were feeling pretty good since I got home in terms of eating but for some reason today it's been aweful! I've had explosive diarrhea all day!! I hadnt been going at all before the surgery...maybe twice in two weeks so when I got home from the hospital I started taking a colase once a day just to get things moveing, and that was working just about perfectly..going once a day and normal! Well last night I didnt take one at all...and today...AARRGG!! God this hurts!! It hurts up high under my sternum. which is just above the biggest insision of where they took the gallbladder out! I can literaly feel my heart pounding at the base of my sternum. I'm wondering if there swelling in there causing all this?? I don't know but if it continues I will call my GP tomorrow!! I certiantly don't need any complications now!!
Are you feeling better? I sure hope so!! Take care....Netty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Were you warned?

Ladies,
Please remember that this thread was asking "did your doctor warn you?" If you have something to add that is not on this topic please start a new thread. Personal conversations should be taken to PM or email.
Unread 11-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Were you warned?

Post hyst I have been diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. That doesn't mean incontinence in my case- it means retention etc. I have been to a physical therapist- who helped me a lot. I have also started YOGA classes. They are wonderful for me. I would not have predicted that but they are great! They really stretch and strengthen the muscles from the ribcage to the knees and YOGA has really helped me! Check it out!
Good Luck!
Unread 11-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Were you warned?

No. My answer to the orginal question is a big, fat, resounding NO! Nada. Zippo.

All my doctor told me was that I wouldn't have any more periods, I wouldn't be able to get pregnant and that I would go into menopause. Which he said I was "nearing" anyway (at age 46). He glossed over his whole 2 minute presentation with a smile and a wave of his hand and I walked out thinking this would be a piece of cake.

The hospital slipped me a little "consent form" just before my surgery that warned of the dangers of surgery, like death from the anesthesia, but that was all I got.

Criminal. If you ask me.
Unread 11-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Were you warned?

Yeah Lucille - I got the flash presentation but he also threw in the added bonus of cervix removal to eliminate any chances of cervical cancer! I now understand they try to leave the cervix as it acts as a stubb.
I agree - it's criminal. I was terrified of the surgery but the promise of feeling great once I'd recovered got me through it. It's just never ending
Hope you are feeling better s

As for the yoga Readergal - it's something I am truly very interested in but there doesn't seem to be a class near me! Do you recommend any books or dvds?

Thanks for your input sisters

Sue
x
Unread 11-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Were you warned?

I had my hyst due to fibroids and a Stage 3 rectocele. By the time I, finally, made the decision to go ahead, I'd been researching the whole hyst issue for over 2 years. From the flyer and information my doctor provided me with when I booked the hyst, and from all the information he had provided over the years, I knew that, after a hyst, I was at hightened risk for prolapse. Thankfully, so far, the repairs have held... but I'm at least aware of the possibilities.

Even with all the time it took for me to make the decision, all the research I did on my own and the wealth of information that I gleaned from Hyster Sisters, there were still things I wasn't aware of.

I guess that if we don't ask certain questions, specifically, doctors will simply not inform us of the possibilities
Unread 11-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Were you warned?

I am just a beginner at yoga. I am lucky enough to take a hatha (gentle) yoga class at a wellness class at a nearby hospital. I thought I would be near to an ER if needed-LOL. So far so good. Check out yogabasics.com for info on books and tapes. It is really helping me strengthen and stretch and relax my pelvic floor and my abs and back. It is helping other parts of my body also. I have seen a lot lately about how it helps prevent weight gain, diabetes, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, etc. 8 months ago I would not have believed how much it would help but it has been a very positive force for me. We end the session by saying "be thankful for the health you have" and I think everyone in that class believes that deeply. Check out that website and if I find out more I will let you know.
Good Luck!
Unread 11-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Were you warned?

I was told on Sept. 26th (2004) that I had uterine cancer and surgery was scheduled on the 14th of October. Everything happened so quickly and my mental state was the pitts. I rushed around getting pre op tests done and met with my gyn and the gyn/onc, and before I knew it my surgery was over. I can say I was not warned of anything. I didn't have time to research nor did I ask very many questions. I was in a total state of shock and I wanted the cancer out of me. Sounds totally immature, I know.
I think the thing that really upsets me is I counted on my doctor to tell me that I was at risk and I should try certain medications. I was given a choice whether or not to take medication for my heavy bleeding or have tests done, not that I should do it or it would be a good idea to do it. I kick myself every day because I put too much trust (for lack of a better word) in my doctor instead of taking the initiative to take better care of myself.
I am trying to ask the right questions now and hoping I get good answers. Whew!
Kiki23

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register