Were you warned? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Were you warned? Were you warned?

Unread 11-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Were you warned?

Reader, I have just started a yoga basics class and I read that it can really help with incontinence problems..I think I read an article about that in a magazine. So far I have really enjoyed the yoga class even though at this point it is very difficult for me to do some of the moves..graceful would not be one of my titles. lol It is very relaxing though.
Sherry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Were you warned?

Thanks ((((Readergal))) Please keep me updated!
Hi kiki I think I and many others would have reacted the same way as you did. It's easy to look back and think about how we should have done things differently. I wasn't given much time to think about it either, I was told it had to be done one Monday evening and scheduled for the op the following Tuesday morning. So I had a week, but I didn't do much research, looking back, I think I was in shock too. I didn't find this site until I came home from the hospital, and boy, could I have kicked myself. I couldn't believe I had allowed it to happen! But, the big question - WERE YOU WARNED? - I was warned of absolutely nothing, maybe if I had been, I would have researched? I'm sure I would have.
Thanks to everyone for their answers. I should have done a poll (if I knew how to!)

Sue
x
Unread 11-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Were you warned?

I wasn't told anything about pelvic floor problems following a hyst. When I discovered my uterus was falling out, I was so anxious to get it out/fixed that I literally begged the doctor to do the hyst as soon as possible. Perhaps it was his fault and mine that he didn't warn me that once the uterus was out, everything else would want to follow. Within a year I had surgery for enterocele and recectocel. He knew I had a rectocele when I went back for my post op, but acted like it was no big deal. I started going to another doctor then and she did the surgery. Things are still happening...surgery this past June for prolapse problems again. This time I've been told that I had a 90% chance that this will last a long time, but other situations can cause it to fail...like chronic coughing which I 've had due to allergy problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Were you warned?

No, I was not warned of all of the complications that could result from this surgery. The only warning I got was this: We may nick your bladder during the surgery.Therefore, when I awoke in recovery without a nicked bladder--I thought I was home free. ~Moonchime
Unread 05-23-2006, 03:23 PM
Were you warned?

I was told of the risks...recurrence of prolapse and of damage to nearby organs and even that a sex life might be impossible after my 3rd pelvic surgery. Yes, I still went ahead as sex was impossible anyway with the prolapse problem as it was. Am pleased to say the outcome was good. I expect they have to cover themselves...
Unread 05-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Were you warned?

I was not warned at all, had never heard of prolapse,
and had never had sexual problems and dryness and
thought that HRT would take care of any hormone
problems. I was just told I would feel so much better,
which I only had a prolapsed uterus, and some back
pain. Now I have chronic pain, horrible sex life, feel
bad in general, have bowel problems, and dependant
on narcotics to get me thru work. The only thing I
thought there might be problems with is the surgery
itself, but I got thru that with a breeze, it was only
afterwards that I had the problems.
Unread 05-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Were you warned?

I had no idea that would even be a problem. I walked in blindly, trusting my doctor and not doing any research. I am more than paying the price for it now.

One thing I would like to say is that I wish more things like this and views as expressing in this post were voiced on the Pre-Op Board. I remember when I first looked at hysterectomy this is the first search result returned to me so I clicked on it. Thinking it was written by women who have been through this I thought I wouldn't have to read anymore. I just looked at the Pre-Op Board which was pretty rah-rah everything is fantastic, sex is great, blah, blah. Now I am not saying that is not true but it would have been nice to have some balance to it.

I think this topic would be helpful for women going through this as for many of us we didn't know about the consequences of this. I also wasn't warned of the physical changes I would go through, the aging, loss of desire, loss of skin elasticity, things sagging, vaginal dryness. The list goes on and on and on.

Sorry, I will shut up now.
Unread 05-25-2006, 04:33 AM
Were you warned?

There has been times when I would see one of the
little blips of some woman saying she was pre-op and
her anticpation and I would post saying to be careful
and make sure you have tried any other options, and
would tell of some of my problems, and then the posts
would roll in like I was just being a downer and that she
just needs to have a positive attitude with the surgery
and everything would be alright. Well I can tell you I had nothing-but-a positive attitute and that was part of
the problem, I was oblivious to any problems, I trusted
my Dr. to tell me anything I needed to know. I was just trying to say " this is a serious decision" and I didn't
have a clue of the consequences. And to think of where they are messing around with all those nerves and
blood vessels, not to mention taking your womanhood.
I don't know what I was thinking, it has really changed who I am. In the discussion about my ovaries my Dr.
said " you are already 51 your ovaries are not doing anything anyway, well I can tell you, they were doing
something , because I had never had vaginal dryness,
and now I am in misery, at 70 yrs old my mother was
still having sex without even using a lubricant. I have
constant vaginal pain now.
I truly believed all that could be replaced with HRT, what a joke. I still try to inform women, but I feel like I am seen as just negative. I do realize that some
women have no choice and nothing much to lose they
have had so much trouble, but there are others like
me that didn't take it serously and know that there can
be dire consequences.
Unread 05-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Were you warned?

(((Ladies))) Not to minimize anyone's problems, which as we all know can be considerable after this surgery, but let's all try to keep in mind that this thread was started asking those with post hyst pelvic floor issues (prolapse) whether we were warned about potential future pelvic floor problems after a hysterectomy. Many of us could write books about the other problems we've had, but they're off topic here.

-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register