Tired of pain and bleeding! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tired of pain and bleeding! Tired of pain and bleeding!

Unread 11-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Tired of pain and bleeding!

It has been like 6 or 7 weeks that I have been bleeding. I am so tired all the time. For a while it was more like hemoraging. The Doc put me back on hormones for 2 weeks to stop the bleeding, it never went completely away. Now the hormones are done again and the bleeding is getting heavier. I have 33 days until surgery. I would have scheduled it earlier but I am in college and I wanted to finish the semester. Was I wrong to put it off for so long? I have a hystory of bad endo, fibroids, and cysts. I have been extreemly tired lately. I go to school but I am not working because of a work related hand injury. I don't understand how come I am so tired. Back in September I was going to the gym and feeling great and now most of the time I don't wanto do anything. I isolate a lot. I have no children, and my boyfriend and I only get to see eachother 1 time a week. I feel sad most of the time. I now that many people seem to go through this stuff, I read it on this site all the time. Is there anything I can do to help myself cope. I do plan to get with the Docs office about the bleeding, but what about the other stuff? I am so tired of the headaches the tiredness and feeling blue all the time! What can I do to help myself for 33 more days--HELP I feel crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2005, 11:35 AM

[[[cdallas}}} I am so sorry you are feeling so poorly. I had heavy periods that lasted for an average of 23 days before my surgery, so I can relate. Have you had your hemoglobin checked? If you are bleeding heavy and continuous, you could be anemic. You should call your dr and see if you can have it tested. It is also common for you to be sad right now. You are going through a life changing event, and it is alot for a person to deal with. It may also be hormonal. Again, if you talk to your dr, he (or she) could possibly find some relief and make you more comfortable until your surgery date. Remember also that when you feel lonely, your sisters are right here and we love to help and support one another. Good Luck to you!
Unread 11-11-2005, 02:24 PM

If you are bleeding a great deal it is probably anemia- a lack of iron due to the bleeding. You can have the doctor's office do what is called a complete red blood cell count- Hematocrit is the percent of red blood cells of total cells and the normal range is 35% to 47%; Hemoglobin is the amount of iron in the red blood cells and the normal range is 11.9 to 15.5 (usually around 13), and the red blood cell count is the total number of red blood cells and should be in the range of 4.20 to 5.40 million.

If you are anemic, you should go on a iron-rich diet right away- you'll need to get these levels up before surgery, since there's a chance you'll lose blood during your surgery.

I never wanted to touch liver again after my surgery, but it really did bring my levels up in 4 weeks, so you could try this:

Breakfast: 4 ounces of liver and 1 glass orange juice (vitamin C helps liver absorbtion). Omaha steaks will ship liver steaks- they ship frozen.

Lunch: red meat like beef chunks or steak, spinach

Dinner: at least 2 eggs (I made crepes: 2 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup flour, griddle with butter).

Supplements: ask your doctor (don't do this without asking!) 2-3 325 MG Iron supplement tablets.

Also no milk- calcium interferes with iron absorbtion.

-Torrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2005, 05:31 PM

Defintely talk to the doc about getting your iron levels checked. Besides being tired you could also have the following symptoms and not be aware of them: Weakness, fatigue, or lack of stamina, feel dizzy, be irritable, headaches, look very pale, feel short of breath, difficulty concentrating, irritability, cracked lips, brittle nails.

I found I had a much harder time not being sad at my lowest levels and much of that can be from inactivity because you aren't releasing as many endorphins.

If the doc finds you need to supplement iron, you can also add it into your diet naturally. (Torrie) had good reccomends and you can also add Cream of Wheat in the am. It may be able to help you get some energy to walk which helps release endorphins a natural mood enhancer.
Unread 11-11-2005, 05:42 PM

Hi there cdallas, sorry to hear you feel so rotten. I agree with the others about iron and seeing the doc. Another thing to consider is the effects of the hormone tabs, I was prescribed hormones to help the bleeding but an unexpected side effect was the effect on my mood. They made me crazy...crying, laughing,no concentration or motivation..my doc said they dont agree with everone and after I stopped them it took 4 or 5 weeks to get them out of my system and feel back to normal again....i was happier to put up with the bleeding rather than feeling like a crazy woman! Hope you feel better soon x
Unread 11-11-2005, 06:01 PM

Great Advice.
If you don't call your Doc and get this taken care of, they may have to prolong your wait for your surgery. You need to be 'up to par' before your surgery. Please follow these Sisters' advice and call him about it to get it checked.
Unread 11-11-2005, 07:06 PM

ok here is my 2 cents worth. I also have very heavy bleeding. I did go on supplements and hormones to slow the flow. However what has really made me feel better was going on Elavil for depression. I also have no children and "isolate" myself too much. Once I finally admitted my depression existed I was on the road to recovery. I have survived bilateral mastectomies with no reconstruction. Now with the hysterectomy fast approaching I feel like my female nature will be gone. My head knows that is not true but it still makes me sad. Having this forum to chat and ask for advice has been such a blessing for us. Things will get better.. I'll share my faith with you.. Lori
Unread 11-12-2005, 09:53 AM

Thank you so much ladies. I promise to call the doc on Mon. morning,
Yesturday I had a rough go of it. The pain was so bad I could barley sit comfortably. Today I am going to but a box of baby wipes because I feel so dirty from the heavy bleeding and the baby wipes seem to help with that. I have taken 3 different hormones and the last one I took, although it never stopped the bleeding completley, at least I did not frrl like a crazy person. Besides all this health stuff I have a lot of things happening right now...the end of a semester, I am not sure what is going on in my relationship with my bfriend. I just feel like shutting things out sometimes. You guys help me out so much! I can say anything to you guys and you don't pass judgement you just try to help. That means so much right now. I am going to just keep talking it out. Do you guys tink that I should not wait untill Mon. to call my doc? I don't know if calling now would make a difference or not.
Christine---32 more days!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register