Will I need a shower chair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I need a shower chair Will I need a shower chair

Unread 11-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Will I need a shower chair

We're off to the medical supply store today and I'm starting to wonder if I'll need one of those chairs for sitting down in the shower. I'm not expecting to be weak and unable to stand but I just thought about how in the world am I going to shave my legs if I can't bend over. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2005, 08:17 AM

Personally I didn't need one. But I guess we are all different. I know I shaved my legs the night before surgery and didn't worry about it again until I was able to rest my foot on the side of the tub. This is how I usually shave my legs anyway. I just kept my pits shaved and didn't worry about the forest growing on my legs.
Unread 11-12-2005, 08:28 AM

Surprisingly for me, showers invigorated me. I thought I would get tired but I didn't. I didn't need a shower chair. I was scared when I took my first shower because I didn't know how I would feel and plus I had my catheter in. I stepped in the shower slowly and began to hum and sing which made me feel great. After I was done, I was invigorated.

I don't have hairy legs so shaving my legs is not a concern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2005, 09:40 AM

I did not have a shower chair. Showering also felt wonderful for me. I was exhausted after showering and would have to rest before I could even think about blow drying my hair, etc.

Shaving my legs WAS dicey. I just picked up my legs and rested them on the side of the tub. I bent just a little bit to shave them. I have to shave my legs everyday. I itch if I don't.

The worst thing that happened to me when I was showering was dropping the soap. Do you know how you instinctively try to catch something when you start to drop it? OMG!! That was VERY painful!! I almost started crying right then and there. I immediately got out of the shower and had to go sit down. Be careful.

I did have a chair in the bathroom to sit down and dry my hair and put on makeup. I have gotten rather fond of that chair. I just might leave it in there!
Unread 11-12-2005, 12:18 PM

When I showered in hospital, they put an ordinary chair in there. When I came home I used a 'bath board' which I already had (I'm disabled)and was really glad of it until I was about 2 1/2 weeks post op. A bath board is placed across the bath and was helpful to ease myself into the bath, and to sit on while I showered.

Miz
Unread 11-12-2005, 01:24 PM

I needed one. But I ended up having 2 surgeries in 2 days. I couldn't stand in the shower for that long because I was so weak. I got to the point where I would stand then sit if I needed to then stand again... ect. Then I got to the point where I didn't need it anymore. But, it was nice to have. Good luck!
Unread 11-12-2005, 03:16 PM

Hi there,
I haven't heard of any other sisters needing a "shower chair" but if you feel you want to get one go ahead. Are you buying or renting? I'm thinking of renting a bedside table like the ones in the hospitals because I don't think I'll be up to sitting at the dinner table for meals for a while.
As for the "hairy legs"...don't let it bother you because who cares anyway? It's winter we're in pants mostly & I imagine shaving to be quite uncomfortable even with the shower chair because you'll still have to bend or stretch a little...ouch! Maybe you should consider waxing if it's an important issue for you!
Unread 11-12-2005, 03:23 PM

HI
If you don't want to put out the expense of a shower chair and you have a standard sized tub or larger, one of those white (okay, I have seen them in green and grey) plastic patio chairs works just fine. The slits in the seat allow them to drain and you can always use it outside later on
Unread 11-12-2005, 03:32 PM

I thought the same thing, but the shower always made me feel so good, it did take me a few days of growth though before I could bend and put my leg on the side of the tub, the item that helped me the most in the shower was a rubber mat and a long back scrubby brush. Best of luck!
Teri
Unread 11-12-2005, 03:53 PM

Autumn moon... the "plastic patio chair" used in place of an expensive "shower chair" is a great idea! Have any ideas of what I can use instead of the regular bedside tables in hospitals?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register