Unable to work due to adhesion pain...(new to site!) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unable to work due to adhesion pain...(new to site!) Unable to work due to adhesion pain...(new to site!)

Unread 11-17-2005, 08:16 AM
Unable to work due to adhesion pain...(new to site!)

Hi again, girls.
I had internal pt (as well as external), and it hurts like crazy. I suppose it could have helped if I would have been able to stand the pain. The accupuncture wasn't so bad, but my insurance didn't cover it so I had to quit going. MPS is equally as horrible as the adhesions themselves, at least in my opinion. If the zipper on my jeans hits just right on my scar (vertical incision), it sends shooting pains up into my shoulders. Go figure, trigger points are the darndest things. I'm sorry that you (we) all have to deal with this. It's frustrating to say the least. But on the bright side, we have each other to learn from and sympathize with, and we are not alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2005, 08:23 AM

SLT --
Ooooh, good question!! I also have SJS (Stevens Johnson Syndrome - too confusing to explain), which causes me to have allergic reactions to medications, viruses, etc. I didn't have any symptoms of the disease until around 1999. However, I've had problems with adhesions since 1988. I suppose that doesn't mean that the SJS wasn't there, just maybe wasn't active yet. Hmmmmm. Anyone else have any input?
Unread 11-17-2005, 03:55 PM

Hi sisters and hello Kelly
I am in the UK, in the North. I am 7 weeks post op from anterior and posterior repair and tvt tape. Exactly two years from my tah/bso in Oct 2003. I had a lap in June where he found my large bowel attached to abdominal wall on the right and the small bowel attached (more extensively) to the left side. I don't have a great deal of pain in the left but my right side is disabling at times. I too have been away from work for a long time. My goal is to get back there - hopefully with some type of pain management (which, it seems, is the only option because of catch 22).
Thanks for all the pain management information sisters
My consultant initially wanted to open my abdominal incision and work on the adhesions at the same time as repairs and tvt but I was too scared! I decided to allow him to do the latter! I was hoping to find some relief from adhesions when prolapses were repaired. Time will tell. Here in the UK you can get strong painkillers, but only on prescription from your GP. I had a scare with mine a couple of months back and am too scared to take them now! I am managing my pain with paracetemol (tylol?) and Ibuprofen gel which I massage in to painful areas. As it affects your bowel, do you suffer from IBS symptoms too? You can pm me anytime Kelly if you have any questions specifically about UK. I'm sending you lots of Take care and don't give up.
The allergy thing is getting more and more interesting - thanks ((((((((((Miss Emma)))))). I read somewhere that IBS sufferers are allergy sufferers somewhere recently too.
Gosh, aren't our bodies so bloomin' complicated
Take care all
hugs
Sue
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2005, 03:04 AM

Hey Erin!
Sorry for the delay in responding, please forgive me...
Well, when I lived in the states, I was on a pain patch for another medical problem, and it was great!
I wore it for 3 days, and it really did the trick...
Living here, in the UK, is soooo different, no one has even mentioned the patch, I don't even know if it exists?
Since my next operation is within a couple of weeks, to remove these things, hopefully that will be it!
The one thing I can't believe is that there seem to be so many women who really, really suffer with this!
I mean, really suffer, you know?
What's the deal?
Why can't somebody come up with a cure?
Anyway, thanks for your thoughts...

Cheers from the UK,
Kelly
Unread 11-30-2005, 03:15 AM

Hi Cortney!

I have another question for you:
Am I understanding you correctly...you've had 8 surgeries in the last
F-O-U-R years??? For these adhesions???

Where, then, is the hope in all of this?
If the surgery is the 'cure' and the 'cause', are women supposed to have to continually have surgery after surgery to only prolong the inevitable?

My husband has really gone through it as well...he has never had to care for someone who has been 'chronically' ill, and in alot of pain...
We have only been married for 10 months and it has been such a tough year for us...and this has really been a nightmare for him...
He doesn't understand...I don't understand...He gets upset and worried, and then, I'm trying to comfort him and tell him that everything is going to be OK...
Whew...It is a bit scary to not have any certainty about the permanent 'elimination' of the adhesions i.e. the problem...

How long does it usually take to start to feel better after having the adhesions removed?
How long are most women in the hospital?
Also, how long before most women find out whether the surgery to remove the adhesions is successful?

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanks again for your words of support!
Kelly
Unread 11-30-2005, 07:51 AM

Hi Kelly!

You ask some very good questions. I only wish I had the answers.

To clarify - I've had 6 surgeries specifically to address cysts and adhesions, 1 for my hyst, and 1 for my gallbladder (which was actually about 5 years ago). The others have been over the past 4 - 4 1/2 years.

The only hope I have is that there is bound to be a doctor out there somewhere that can "fix" me. Or that can teach my doctor how to do it. The surgeries have become less useful for me - as the adhesions seem to grow back faster each time. But the thing to remember is that while this is MY issue - it isn't necessarily going to be the same for you or anybody else. (Thank Goodness!)

Each subsequent surgery has only required 1 night at the hospital - or sometimes it is done Same Day (able to go home that evening). I'm on the "No Surgery for you" list in my doc's office now . So now I'm experimenting with my Pain Management Doc to find the right meds to get me through my rough spots.

I completely understand the strain on your relationship. My DH has gotten so tired of hearing that I don't feel well - or that my "Belly hurts". And he's just not real concerned when I have surgery anymore. Which is frustrating, because it still bothers me - and he says "I would think you would be used to it by now!" Grr Whatever! lol But I digress! Does your DH attend your doc appt's with you? Does he hear the doctor explaining what is going on - and how it is out of your control? Sometimes it helps to hear it from someone besides you. And maybe the more he learns about it - the less he will worry - which in turn causes you to worry.

Try to take care of yourself!
S
Cortney

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register