Pain at vaginal cuff with intercourse 12 months post-op! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain at vaginal cuff with intercourse 12 months post-op! Pain at vaginal cuff with intercourse 12 months post-op!

Unread 11-21-2005, 02:47 AM
Pain at vaginal cuff with intercourse 12 months post-op!

Hi ladies,
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and has some solutions? It's a year now after my TAH and removal of ovaries for PMDD, and it seems that my vagina is shorter and I experience pain at the vaginal cuff as soon as penetration is attempted. The gynae surgeon who did the operation suggested that the vagina might not be elastic enough due to a lack of oestrogen, but I am using oestrogen patches and natural progesterone cream and the vagina is not dry or sore at all, it just hurts when pressure is put on the end of it.

My husband and I can only have intercourse with me on top, and very slowly, any kind of enthusiastic pushing on his part causes a stinging burning pain at the end of my vagina. It's totally disappointing and has greatly limited our sex life. I tried oestriol vaginal cream and had an allergic reaction to it, and my GP gave me vagifem vaginal oestradiol to try, but I'm afraid to use it because I am very sensitive to oestrogen and am concerned that the dose may be too high and cause a resumption of the PMS symptoms I had before the operationl

As it is, I cut my Climara 25 patch into 1/16ths and can only use one wedge every two or three days for only an hour, before I get fluid retention, breast lumps and mood swings starting up again. That small amount of oestrogen coupled with 20mgs of natural progesterone daily seems to keep my energy and mood levels good, I don't seem to need much. Doctors say that the oestrogen isn't absorbed through the vagina, but after the first dose of vaginal oestriol cream which I tried, I had typical oestrogen dominance symptoms for a couple of days afterwards.

Could it be that I have internal adhesions at the end of the vaginal cuff which causes the pain when pressure is put on it? If anyone else has had this problem and had it fixed, I would love to hear from you. My life if much better now that the PMDD has gone, and my HRT regieme is stable, but this problem remains. :cry:
Thanks
LJB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2005, 07:58 AM

Could be adhesions, but might also be granulation tissue or something else entirely. This is definitely something to see your gyn about. You will most likely need a pelvic exam for evaluation, so make sure you tell ask your doc for extra gentle handling.

Unread 11-21-2005, 08:05 AM

I'm so sorry for you honey!! I'm having similar problems and I know I've got adhesions like crazy, so if you find out what is causing it, I'd be very curious to hear. I hope your doctor can find some way to help you!!!

Missy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2005, 07:27 AM

I had to have an enterocele repair with a pelvic floor
Dr. and I told him that it hurts at the cuff, and he
said that that would always be that way because the
vagina is forshortened. And you probably do have scar
tissue there. If we have that deep thrusting with sex the next
day I am really in pain, but I have pain in there anyway
from something, I've had 3 surgeries since my hyst,
and still having problems. It just makes me sick, because before I had this surgery we had a fine sex
life, and my Dr. didn't tell me anything about these
consquences. I have vaginal dryness also, and my vagina
really hurts the next 2 days after sex. And I am going
tell you for sure we definitely absorb the vaginal estrogen. My Dr. told me the same thing, and of course
I trusted his (supposed) knowledge, the combination of the vaginal cream and the patch made me so sick I
thought I was going to die, dry heaves, a feeling of going insane, I can't even describe what I was feeling.
I did instinctively relate it to the hormones. But the
combination of the patch and the cream together caused estrogen dominance. I was so sick that I missed several days from work, nearly lost my job. I finally just ripped
that patch off and in no time I was better. I took the
patch off because that was the fastest way to get rid
of the hormones. I did try it again just to be sure, and
wham, I was sick again. It was the pharmacist that
confirmed that it was estrogen dominance. When I
told my Dr. about the estrogen dominance he didn't even know what that was, now go figure. You know
these are the people that we put our lives in their hands. It is scarey!
I work at the Healh Dept and I talked
with a nurse there about it, and she said that it is very
vascular in there so we do absorb. I also used some kind
of cream in there that is suppose to have a numbing
affect, and boy did that me feel weird all over. Well,
just think about when you rub in the hormone compounds, they absorb, and of course you have blood
vessels there in the vagina, I know because I bleed sometimes from the sex. This Dr. also told me that
metrogel (vaginal antibiotic) would not cause yeast
infection, but`guess what, it most certainly did. That
went back and forth. It has been 5 years since my hyst
and it has been a nightmare. I have often said that
I have the "vagina from Hell" My Dr. didn't say a thing
about how this could turn out. I am so furious, my life
has not been the same. I am currently working on a
hormone compound and I just pray that this will help
some. Now I know that it has been a year since your
surgery, and that seems like a long time but it really
isn't, and this may get better over time, when things
get a little more stretched, I do think that did get better for me somewhat, as a matter of fact it really
doesn't hurt now when I am having sex, but the next
day it throbs, and no one has been able to tell me why
but I have constant pelvic pain anyway. I did have the
enterocele repair and there is probably scar tissue in there, and it may just stay inflamed, they do a lot of cuttin and sewing when they do this surgery. But these
Dr.s just don't tell you any of this stuff, and with all my
research I have found it is a common thing. Just be
glad that you don't have vaginal dryness to go with it.
The other thing can be managed to a degree. You
know that thrusting thing is one of the things
the men like, but I guess they will just have to get over
it. And I wouldn't give up hope that this will get better
over time. My husband is well indowed(sp) you know
what I mean, he has a lot and he gets to the top pretty quick. Good luck, I know your pain.
Unread 11-22-2005, 07:47 AM

I also find I absorb the vaginal estrogen I take, Vagifem. It shows up as acne in my case. When I use it as often as prescribed, I have a breakout within a day. When I don't ... clear skin. Maybe some women don't absorb it systemically via their vaginal tissue. Maybe we're the exception?
Unread 11-24-2005, 01:06 AM

Thanks for your replies, ladies, I'm glad to hear that five years along, things might stretch up a little more, sit, I'm sure my hubby will be happy to hear that . Luckily he's nearly sixty and I'm nearly fifty so the sex life isn't as important to us as it used to be, but I'm still not too happy with it all. I wasn't told any of this either, I deeply emphathise with all your troubles and your disappointment with doctors.

I found that the transdermal natural progesterone cream(Sarati) which is an over the counter cream I get from the USA, helped me with vaginal dryness even before I had my ovaries out. About eleven years ago (at the age of 38), I began early menopause six months after a tubal ligation - it seemed that I wasn't ovulating anymore, and my progesterone levels were zilch, and amongst the premenopausal symptoms of hot flushes, period changes and mood swings, I had vaginal dryness and soreness until I got onto the natural progesterone. It zapped up the sex drive too. It's funny, isn't it, they give us hormone patches which are absorbed by our skin, and then tell us that the skin in the vagina won't absorb hormones, and it is much thinner and more vascular than the skin on your tummy. Oh boy! Some of us are just more sensitive to oestrogen and we notice the effects more than others, I think.

I just read an article on the net which dealt with that deep pain with sex, they call it 'dyspareunia' or something, and in one lady's case it was resolved through remedial massage therapy on the abdomen, stretching up the adhesions and scar tissue. I'll see what my chiropractor's wife says about it, she's a remedial therapist and naturopath. Apparently we can have a laparoscopy to free up adhesions, but they might just stick right back again, so I wonder if it would be all worth it.
LJB
Unread 11-24-2005, 07:37 PM

I had tvh in March of 2004 and now have mild prolapse of bladder but I'm holding off on having another surgery because my dr.said that each surgery shortens the vagina and this could be why you are having such trouble.
Unread 12-02-2005, 07:23 AM

I had surgery in april to reapir a problems like this. I had as it turned out, a fibroid tumor(large one) at the apex of my vaginal cuff that was pushing on it and making all thing uncomfortable.
I would suggest seeing a pelvic reconstruction doctor. they know what they are doing.
good luck, been downthis road and survived.
vali
Unread 12-02-2005, 10:34 AM

"Lack of estrogen appears to be associated with weakening of bladder and urethra muscles." quote from a magazine article about incontinence.
I use compounded estriol vaginal cream. It is a weaker form of estrogen compared to estradiol and it seems to help my urinary tract and vaginal health without adding very much to my total estrogen load. I also use triestrogen/testosterone cream on my skin once a day.

I also was experiencing pain after (not during) sex. I was diagnosed with IC and have undergone physical therapy and other treatments. Yoga has helped a lot.
That is no longer a problem for me. Good Luck All.
Unread 12-03-2005, 09:21 AM

I would see your dr. and ask him about a special type of cream that contains petrolatanum (sp) and testosterone in a base and it is a compound that has to be mixed at a special pharmacy. I had to pay out of pocket for the stuff because my insurance wouldn't cover it but if I remember correctly it was about $31 for a bottle of the stuff and I was told to insert some of it two to three times a day at the vaginal cuff area. The dr. said that the area at the cuff looked "thinned out" and I needed to use the stuff and it helped me a lot. Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register