Dangerous Discharge?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dangerous Discharge?? Dangerous Discharge??

Unread 04-09-2001, 08:43 PM
Dangerous Discharge??

For the last 15 months I have had a very clear liquid vaginal discharge (almost daily)...in last 4 of the last 15 months it has sometimes appeared discolored and even blood stained. Otherwise my periods are normally spaced, of normal duration with only 2 very heavy days. My uterus is very large with a 9 cm submucous fibroid inside the uterine wall.
4 doctors have advised me to have a full hysterectomy and BSO because they claim to never have seen this type of chronic discharge with no resolution.
Their tests/tools are not good enough and, even though all biopsies, d&c's and sonograms come up normal, they feel at this time the risk of surgery is not as great as the risk of a brewing malignancy.
They all tell me, by the way, "we don't think you have cancer". I am writing this to see if any of you out there have had similar symptoms of nearly constant clear fluid discharge. This is very important to me...so anything will help. Yes, it is wierd to have to live with a pad every day (sometimes two or three) but if someone could tell me that her similar symptoms were diagnosed as something specific...I would be happy to defer surgery. By the way, I have had an IVP which ruled out a bladder fistula. So they are sure this is not a urinary leak. Thanks So much all of you!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2001, 10:11 PM
Dangerous Discharge??

I had a large intramural fibroid (inside uterus) before hyst. They did a hysteroscope to take a sample and also a D&C. Results were negative thank goodness. Trouble was it was large, giving me flooding, big clots, pain and urinary frequency and I had put up with it for years.
Before all the investigations I started on a synthetic progesterone to try and stem the bleeding. After a couple of days I had a watery gushing discharge, but only for one day. Don't know if it was a coincidence having just started the progestin or not.
I'd get your hormones checked (perhaps over a 4 week period, testing FSH, LH, estrogen, progesterone, prolactin, DHEAS, testosterone, and sex hormone binding globulin. It may not turn up anything but it might point towards a hormonal imbalance which could posssibly be rectified.
You have the option of surgery, but I would explore everything else first. Why would they take your ovaries if they did a hyst? Do you have a family history of ovarian cancer? If you don't then I'd leave them. It's hard to replicate nature and taking just the uterus should be enough unless you have a special reason for oopherectomy: as they said they don't suspect cancer.
In most cases you could just agree to the uterus and they could take the ovaries if they found any evidence of something sinister.
Sorry I couldn't give you more insight into your problem.
Unread 04-09-2001, 10:46 PM
Dangerous Discharge??

Hi,

Lily is right. If you have healthy ovaries, you should keep them. Unless you are over 45 years old, have family history of ovarian cancer, or unhealthy ovaries. Your own ovaries are much better than hormone supplement.

If my ovaries was healthy, I would keep both of them.
I had cyst and deflated cyst on my right ovary. I had disruptive tube and cyst on my right tube. the other ovary was small. I had 2 polyps on my uterus. Bleeding was getting worse and longer. I had uterine and bladder prolapsed. The uterus attach/stick to my bladder. Luckily my rectocele is not so bad and need no repair yet. There was nothing that my doctor can do except TVH/BSO and bladder repair. I had a very good Gyn.

I would like to investigate more before having surgery.
Once your have the surgery, you can not put them back anymore.

Take care. Let me know your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2001, 06:15 AM
Dangerous Discharge??

The hormone test is a good idea, but you know, they told me they didn't think I had cancer but they couldn't tell for sure unless I had surgery. Turns out they were wrong, I DID have cancer. It was rare, but there it was. And my cancer was creating a hormone imbalance, so I'm not sure what the test would have convinced me to do. Whatever is wrong has been wrong for 15 months. If it was me I'd rather be sure that I didn't have cancer than gamble like this, but then I'm a hostess on the Cancer board too, and that battle can be far harder and longer than any difficulty you might encounter here.

Just because your doctors don't have all the answers doesn't mean their instincts are wrong. Is one a gynecological oncologist? If not, I'd get a second opinoin from one. I did and his instincts were right that surgery was the way to go, not wait and see.
Unread 04-10-2001, 04:06 PM
DANGEROUS DISCHARGE

Thanks Lily, Trish and Therese. I will turn 47 yrs old next month. Two of the 4 docs are gyn oncs. They don't seem to be in the kind of hurry that my own gyn is. She is taking the lead and pushed me to get all those other opinions. She sends me letters, leaves me messages day and night. However, as I said, I didn't detect the same kind of urgency from the male gyn oncs. They told me I should have everything out because frozen sections and visible inspection may not be enough to tell them what is causing this discharge. They need to remove everything and test some during surgery and the rest later. He even wants the cervix out. I have absolutely no family history of gyn cancer of any type on either side for at least the two-3 generations I know. I feel fine except for the bloating and "pregnant" feeling that comes with this size uterus. I will meet with the surgeon on 4/23 and hopefully have all the hormone tests run in advance. Also will have thyroid test. My main question is...if you have a symptom for over a year and it is cancer...wouldn't your general health decline in that time???
Unread 04-10-2001, 04:46 PM
Dangerous Discharge??

Depends on the cancer. I was feeling very good, as I kept protesting to my doctor resisting my surgery. I had symptoms for 17 months by the time I had surgery. I had a slow growing cancer. But you do know that that generalized bloating feeling is a symptom of gynecological cancers.

There is also no history of gynecological cancers in my family, for three generations. Actually, the genetic link for gynecological cancers accounts for an extremely small percentage of all the cancers. I believe it's 5%. So you see, it is not an accurate gauge of your risk.

If you have four opinions in agreement, and two of them are gynecological oncologists, I think you need to pay attention. While I encourage anyone doing this as elective surgery for fibroids etc. to try all the options first, when it comes to cancer, you're gambling with your life. I'm not giving you medical advice, I'm just saying, listen to the wealth of medical advice that you've been given. They really do have a clue what they are doing, however much we may grumble here. You even have a doctor who cares enough about your well-being to call in this age of the HMO.

God knows, I am not pro-hyster. I tell anyone considering elective surgery to try everything else first, but when it comes to cancer, I don't think it's time to gamble. They are too hard to detect and treatment is far better the earlier it begins. If you are really lucky, they will find a benign condition and you'll have peace of mind.
Unread 04-10-2001, 09:50 PM
Dangerous Discharge??

Hi Romagee,

You said that you only have clear discharge. And your doctors said no cancer. I think they told you the truth.
I did have lots of clear discharge too before my surgery. I had to change pads 3 to 5 times everyday.

Did your Gyn check if you have prolapsed?
You might want to find another Gyn or get second opinion before you do your surgery. I saw 4 Gyns and I didn't like all of them. They only do for their favor and interests. My 5th Gyn is willing to talk and spend time with me discussing my problems. And he called me back whenever I called his office to ask some questions. This doctor is different than other doctors. He has a beautiful personality.

Did you read a book written by Dr. John Lee? It is a very interesting book for women.
Maybe you can try progesterone first. You can by this product at the natural food store.

Well, maybe this is just a little thought.
I will pray for you that you will find the answer.
You can email me if you like to talk to me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register