Magnesium Citrate or Enema? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Magnesium Citrate or Enema? Magnesium Citrate or Enema?

Unread 12-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Magnesium Citrate or Enema?

Ok, 4 weeks ago I was suppose to have my hyst but Dr changed his mind and did a smaller surgery. Now I have to for sure have hyst on TUESDAY. Before I was told to do bowel prep this time I was told nothing. I have heard horrer stories of NOT doing the bowel prep so I am going to do it. Thing is I ahve a ton of stuff to do on Monday but cant do any of it until at least 1pm.
So I cant do the prep until around 5pm! So would the Enema work fast or would the Citrate? I am so confused...help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2005, 10:54 AM

I would ask your dr. to make sure. It is a quick question, I am sure someone in the office could answer it.

I have done both and the enema is fast and over but I think the mag. cit. really cleaned me out. I was told to do the mag. cit. (lime and chilled it) before my LSH. I started at 5pm and drank it in two large gulps, I was told no food after only clear liquids until midnight and then nothing. I didn't think it was that bad. You need to be near a bathroom for a while after that.

Call your dr. and ask, I am sure they will not mind. Good luck with everything.
Unread 12-04-2005, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the input. I guess I will just call 1st thing Monday morning. I have a million thiings to do that afternoon but have to wait on mail lady to bring me my gift from a wonderful HYSTERSISTER before I can leave! Then I have to go get food for my boys, wash clothes and dry them at the laundry mat....so on and so on!!! Will I have enough time to clean out if I start at 6pm?
HELP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2005, 11:40 AM

Ask the dr. that also. I was suppose to start at 4pm, started at 5pm. I slept well but as soon as I woke up I was running to the bathroom again. Once I got to the surgery center I told them and they put something in my iv for my tummy. Everything was good after that.
Unread 12-05-2005, 04:38 AM

I'm just learning about these pre-op items. Haven't ran into the horror stories yet of not doing this procedure. I had an A&P repair done about 20 years ago but I didn't have to do this bowel prep. I guess I won't find out if I have to do one until my pre-op which is the Friday before my Monday surgery.

Okay do I just assume that one can make a mess on the table if you don't do a prep?
Unread 12-05-2005, 05:12 AM

I don't think that happens. LOL They just clean the bowel out for some procedures (adhesions and such) in case the bowel gets nicked in surgery. You don't want all those germs running loose in there! My doc also said it cuts down on post op gas, and delays you having to go ...um...#2 for a while, which isn't real comfy after surgery. Some people have a hard time getting the bowels back on track after their little nap during surgery. That too can feel uncomfortable, so in some cases the nasty tasting Mag. Cit. is actually worth it. This time I only had to take Milk of Magnesia though. YAY!
Unread 12-05-2005, 05:20 AM

Interesting. I am not aware of any adhesions but they may have to do another A&P repair. I didn't even know last time that I was "packed" until this huge thing fell out into the potty. Talk about a shocker! Oh boy...I'm beginning to dread the first day.
Unread 12-05-2005, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildalgo2005
I have heard horrer stories of NOT doing the bowel prep so I am going to do it. !
Call your doctor before doing a bowel prep. Some doctors don't require it. Do NOT do a bowel prep without the knowledge of your doctor.

Several years ago a member took it upon herself to do a bowel prep. She didn't tell her doctor or her anesthesiologist, and shortly after surgery ended up in ICU with severe dehydration shock. She nearly died.

It's important for you to follow the instructions of *your* surgeon. To do otherwise could harm you or cause your surgery to be postponed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register