First real outing, what a disappointment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First real outing, what a disappointment First real outing, what a disappointment

Unread 12-04-2005, 12:38 PM
First real outing, what a disappointment

I had my real first outing yesterday, my DD age 8, and I, went to Meijer. I had her assist me with purchasing some apples, and oranges, she did all the lifting. She pushed the cart around while I held on for support. We went very slowly, by the time we were down the 1st isle, I was ready to return home. I had such a pain on my right side that I couldn't lift my right leg to walk right. It felt more like something was pinched together, and when I moved it would cause a burning that was different than the burning I had recently had.
I was able to get to the checkout after I rested awhile. I returned home disappointed b/c I thought I was further along than this in my healing process.
I feel better today, and I am able to walk around my home without to much pain. I was just curious if anyone might of gone through something similar? Please take care, God bless all.
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2005, 01:29 PM

Hi Cindy,
In my opinion grocery shopping is one of the hardest things to get back into. I know I didn't venture to the store until I was in my 4th week. I took my dh to do all the bending and lifting, but I did walk it. I was done in by the end of that trip and I did none of the loading or unloading or even putting away much.
You aren't even quite 3 weeks out! I hope you won't be too discouraged. Everyone heals differently. I'm sure there are some women who could have done that trip easily. Your body has let you know that you aren't ready yet. Maybe you could wait and give that same trip a try next week and see how you do. Rest now and let yourself recoup. I hope you do better next week.
's, Rita
Unread 12-04-2005, 02:33 PM

I found that during the third week, I tired easily. Some times I'd do fine for hours of activity, but the next day I would need extra naps. At about four weeks, things changed and I no longer needed naps. Perhaps I was better at gauging my limitations on top of being further along in the healing process. You will probably be surprised at how much progress you make in the next week or so. Hang it there. It does get better pretty quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2005, 03:01 PM

Thanks ladies for your replies, yes, you are right about how early it is still for me in my healing process. I am currently worried that although I didn't lift anything on that outing, I was hoping that I didn't cause a new tear. I have 2 hernia sites that happened prior to this surgery, I am a poster child for hernias, and I have to schedule surgery for the hernia sites after I heal from this surgery.
I don't want to alarm anyone who recently had surgery,the fact is that I was born with a very thin abdomen lining that could rip if I had something as simple as a constant cough. I have had surgeries for hernias before, i just don't want this pain I am having to be something that is abnormal. I am scheduled on friday for my next doctors visit, if the pain continues to elevate on the pain scale, I will call to see if I can go in earlier. Again, please take care, God bless.
Cindy
Unread 12-05-2005, 07:42 AM
shopping

Hi Cindy:

Sorry to hear you had a rough time! I haven't been grocery shopping yet. Since the store is 5 minutes from our house, I've been considering just going for whatever I need for dinner that night.

I haven't had to cook since the surgery because DH, who is Italian and always cooks Sat and Sun anyhow, cooked for two weeks and last week we relied on left-overs and pasta. Tonight I may be able to get away with leftovers again. My new motto: Left-overs Rock.

[now if I could only get MY 8 yr old DD to sing that tune]
Unread 12-05-2005, 08:59 AM

qed123,
I really haven't been out grocerie shopping, DH really needs the credit for that one. He does tend to forget that I am an avid fresh fruit, and veggie person, and he buys more canned items. As for my DD, who is 8 also, she doesn't mind leftovers, she enjoys cooking, and eating, I don't know where she puts it. Well qed123, I hope that you have a wonderful time during your outing. I plan to go out again maybe tomorrow for a short one myself, just can't keep us down huh? Please take care of yourself, God bless you, and your family.
Cindy
Unread 12-05-2005, 09:17 AM

I'm on my 3rd week today. I went for my 1st outing on Saturday... to the mall with my husband. I just had to get out of this house. I've had sharp pains in my right side since week #2 and pain med's do not work, so I thought if ventured out and walked some it would go away. No change, so I plan to see the doc on Tuesday just to make sure all is ok.
Take care!
Unread 12-05-2005, 09:29 AM

lucybell,
If you feel up to it let us know what your the doctor tells you about your pain. My pain on my right side is still there, but not as intense as the other day,I believe I will hold off until my visit with my doctor until this friday. Well hope that you begin to feel better, take care, God bless.
Cindy
Unread 12-05-2005, 10:05 AM

I went grocery shopping in between week 3 and 4. But my kids are older than yours and they did it all! DH was back at work by this time and works 12 hours a day so he didn't get much time to do the shopping for us. I did okay but took a loooong nap when we got home! I did go to the mall about 10 days post op but we rented a wheelchair. I had to get out of here too. I was going insane! Everybody heals at a different pace than others. Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 12-05-2005, 10:14 AM

hi could anyone tell me what a henia is, and how it is caused and what are the syptoms . love to you all and god bless

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register