Just diagnosed.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just diagnosed.. Just diagnosed..

Unread 12-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Just diagnosed..

...with endometrial cancer (adenocarcinoma). Don't know much for detail yet, but my gynecologist has referred me to a gyn oncologist who will tell me more, like whether lymph nodes need to be removed. She said he may want me to have an MRI before the surgery. Is this common? She said there was no need for the hysterectomy to be before Christmas which is good. At the moment, I suppose I am in shock, as I don't even know how I feel. I know the half of my brain that has suspected that this was cancer is feeling very smug and superior over the half that was telling me I was making a mountain out of a molehill. Hah!

So, I guess I'll be hitting the pre-op forum to see what I can learn there.

I'll be back.

UK Yank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Just diagnosed..

I'm sorry for your diagnosis but very happy that you are seeing an gyn/onc-=-a must in my book. Hopefully the MRI will tell more and can help plan the surgery/treatment. Cancer is a shocking diagnosis and we are here to help you cope with it and answer questions too.
At least you can wait until after Christmas - enjoy it to the fullest you can.
Unread 12-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Just diagnosed..

Hey UKYank,

I'm sorry about your diagnosis. Remember there are wonderful, supportive sisters here for you to talk with.

A MRI is a common test in our situation. It gives the doc a preview of what he/she will find in the surgery. In my case, they found a suspicious spot on my liver prior to my surgery, but it turned out to be a benign cyst which is very common.

Keep us posted.

Hugs,
Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Just diagnosed..

I am sorry about the DX but it is important you will be seeing a gyn/oncologist. I had a CTscan prior to my surgery for suspect endometrial cancer; some doctors prefer MRI to CT and vice versa. These test may give them a look at what they may find before the surgery.
I want to repeat what my gyn and gyn/onc told me re my DX - endometrial cancer is the best to get (if there even is a best) as most often it can be cured by surgery alone when found in an early stage.
Pls remember we are here for you just about 24/7.
s, peggiesue
Unread 12-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Just diagnosed..

Sorry about your diagnosis - but we have all been there and you'll get through this!

I had a pelvic CT, an MRI and a chest X ray before my surgery. So it's not uncommon. Take advantage of all the tests you can!
Unread 12-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Just diagnosed..

Sorry to hear your diagnosis....

My GYN also said this was the "best" cancer to get. He quickly referred me to the Regional Cancer Centre and the GYN/ONC there doesn't do scans. In his opinion they don't show any new information when the DX is early. I was very relieved to hear him say that everything was being removed, plus lymph nodes for testing; I had the more aggressive grade 2 cells.

Trust us, the waiting is the worst part of this - you're brain doesn't stop obsessing.

Best wishes and good luck in your research of the wealth of stories in this site
Unread 12-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks so much

It's so good to have some feedback from those of you who are a little (some of you I see only a very little!) further along in this process. I'll keep in touch and maybe some day I can reassure someone else who's in my spot. For now, it's off to work, business as usual...

UK Yank
Unread 12-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Just diagnosed..

Dear UK Yank,

I too learned of my EC diagnosis right before Christmas two years ago. So sorry you had to receive this news
Pre Op I had a CT scan, but many Sisters had MRI's, and these tests are good non invasive ways to determine pre op if there is anything further is going on in your other organs. Doctors do not like surprises in the operating room!!

When you meet with your Gyn/Onc he/she will fill you in on the specifics of your individual treatment plan related to what grade and stage were found on your biopsy report. Now until the time you hear the final post op pathology report can be very overwhelming, but try your best to rest up, and when fear begins to try to take over your mind, try to remember that many Sisters here both with low to higher stage and grade EC did just fine and you will too

Take Care
Unread 12-06-2005, 05:53 AM
Just diagnosed..

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, especially at this time of year, but so relieved that you are seeing a gyn/onco. Hopefully it will be caught early, and you can carry on with "business as usual".

Rest assured that the sisters here will and can get you through anything!

Best of luck,

k9
Unread 12-06-2005, 06:45 AM
Just diagnosed..

Hi UKYank,

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

Yes, an MRI is quite normal prior to having an hyster. I, and many of the ladies here, have had them. It gives the gyn/onc a good idea of where the cancer is.

Please let us know how you go on.

Geraldine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register