Still in pain, 3 weeks, guilt for asking for more pain medication | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still in pain, 3 weeks, guilt for asking for more pain medication Still in pain, 3 weeks, guilt for asking for more pain medication

Unread 12-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Still in pain, 3 weeks, guilt for asking for more pain medication

Hi, I know this sounds crazy but hear me out. I am a recovering cocaine addict, fours years and counting with no desire to do drugs again. I had many friends, not myself, that bought percosets illegally to come down from drugs. After giving birth to my child my druggie friends came over to try to buy the percosets they knew I had because I had a c-section. I now feel a stigma about asking for more pain meds (in no contact at all with old friends). My incision opened up about a week after the surgery and the doctor very willingly gave me more percoset which I used very sparingly. I had a followup last Monday and he gave me more then too as my incision still hurts. Then on Friday I pulled the internal stitches (OUCH) that haven't disolved yet and I went to the doctor. I felt nervous about asking him for more medication and I have tried just using Advil and it is not working. I casually mentionned it to him and he said to just finish what I had and go on Advil. I am in major pain, feel like I am at a week 1 not nearly 4 weeks. On a good note, I am finally taking it easy. What should I do? Maybe I am just looking for some moral support. Thanks for any advice.
Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2005, 05:19 PM

Maybe instead of the perocet and Advil he could give you a prescription for 800 mg ibuprofen. That's what I have been using and it works pretty well. But hey if you need something stronger, just ask. You shouldn't have to suffer because of things that happened in your past. Good luck and TAKE IT EASY!!!
Unread 12-06-2005, 05:40 PM

You know everyones pain threshold is different and everyones pain is different. I am sure there are tons of girls on here who needed the strong stuff longer than others. And I certainly do not want to make light of your situation. But .... At least you have real pain and really need them.
Lets talk true confessions here! I was given 30 percocet and I took everyone of them. SO, I can relate to those druggie friends of yours. I was very sad when I ran out. I am 14 days post op and have not had any real pain since day 9. I was starting to think I would become addicted because I just did not want to quit taking them. I found myself hording them and trying to figure out how to make them last longer. It made me not really care that my house looked like a bomb went off in it. I just felt so darn happy when I was on them. Then, I ran out. It has been 2 days now since I have had one and I feel just fine, but I think back fondly of the percocet days!!

Hang in there girl, don't beat yourself up if you need more meds. I have never been one to take any meds period, so I can't even recommend anything but a big hug!

Renee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2005, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the advice. Talked to the nurse this morning and they suggested taking enough Advil to match an 800 mg Motrin. If it doesn't help they said to call. I appreciate the encouragement!
Tracy
Unread 12-07-2005, 08:30 AM

Hey Tracy,
I am your age and have had a TAH. Don´t be afraid to ask for pain meds. Your doctors might know about this surgery meaning technique and stuff, but if you haven´t tried it on your own body you really don´t know much. I went home from the hospital with a bag of asperin. At first it went well due to all the meds I already had in my body, but after a while it just went downhill. I tried to be tough and wait it out. I went twice to the hospital and they told me nothing was wrong, but finally the third time I got a female doc who took one look at me and said that she knew what was going on. The scar tissue had been damaging my femoral nerve(that was my initial pain) so to relieve this I had been been cramping my muscles and using them wrongly. I was even being tense while sleeping at night. This just aggrivated the situation because now the muscles are also pushing on the nerve and on top I have now the same musclepains in my abdomen as people normally have in their shoulders. I was put on a large meds cocktail incl. Kodein 5 weeks post-up for 2 weeks just to loosen up before they even started sorting out my muscle and nerve pain.
Now I do exercises with 2 physiotherapists, I am still on Asperin, my swelly belly is huge and very hard (The physiotherapist told me she had never seen/felt anything like it) and all could have been prevented if I had been correctly medicated from the start. So again.. Don´t be afraid to ask and having had the problem you once had might even give you a greater insight in whether more meds are needed or not. If you are out of it then you are probably more relunctlant(sorry) to go on meds than others.

I truely hope you feel better soon and I hope you will keep in touch and keep us posted.

Hugs,
Sophie
Unread 12-07-2005, 08:38 AM

I am in my 5th post op week and still find the need to take the Percocet occasionally. I work in the field of orthopedics where I see many, many patients that become addicted to this medicine.

If you are in real pain, then you should not feel guilty asking for the meds. It sounds like you have overcome so much in your past life and it also sounds like you don't ever want to go back there.

I find that I have so much more energy and am in a really great mood when I am taking the meds. I can see how people can get addicted to it. This is a huge fear of mine, so I am quite careful when taking it.

I hope that you aren't playing your symptoms down though because of your guilt or fears. Everyone has their own tolerance to pain and this is a HUGE surgery, so if you need it then you need it. No guilt!

Congrats to you for overcoming your past addictions, I have much respect for you! I am quite sure that it was not an easy thing to do.

Please call your doctor and don't feel GUILTY! You have nothing to feel guilty about!

's Tricia
Unread 12-07-2005, 06:53 PM

I hear you loud and clear!!

I am 22 years clean and sober and have had to take percoset for a few surgerie.

And one of my off and on opiat loving sponsees was really pushing to come and help me after my surgery. I am real clear on her motivation.

I find I need to let certain people know that I am on medication and I really need to "check myself and my own motivations" it is a fine line for people like us.

There are some really strong anti-inflamatiories like the prescription strength motrin. My doctor gave me naproxen.

This is a heavy duty surgery and it is really important to take care of yourself and listen to your body. I am 5 weeks post op and have really taken it easy and feel really good now.

Good luck! Take good care of yourself!
Unread 12-08-2005, 02:11 AM

Well done girl for all your hard work and determination in the past. May I suggest that friends like that you do not need. They are obviously not there for your well being and may also be a distraction for all your hard work.
A good G.P. should see beyond your past addictions and view the situations as it is now. Ask! Like the previous replies have suggested - anti-inflammatories are great.
I am 5 wks today and still needing px analgesia with anti-inflam's on a regular basis.
Take care of yourself.
Christina.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register