Please reply | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: Weight gain post-op?
Yes, to a great degree 9 6.34%
yes, less than 10 lbs 32 22.54%
no, lost weight 68 47.89%
no, maintained weight 33 23.24%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-11-2001, 07:21 AM
Please reply

have any of you experienced exceptional weight gain post op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2001, 07:39 AM
Please reply

Bellena,

I have actually lost about 20 pounds since my surgery 10 weeks ago! I am hoping to keep losing.
Unread 04-11-2001, 07:54 AM
Please reply

I gained a bit--under 10 pounds, I'm sure, though I don't own a scale. That just goes with lying around for 3 weeks with nothing to do and a freezer full of sorbet. If you forgo the freezer full of sorbet you'd probably not have as much weight gain. I expect to take it back off as I resume normal activity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2001, 08:12 AM
Please reply

Bellena - Thanks so much for asking that question. I was going on the board this morning to ask the same thing. I've not had my TAH-BOS yet, but the weight thing worries me. I'll be anxious to see what our experienced sisters have to say. I also wondered about weight gain due to being thrown into instant menopause. Will weight gain be a given in this situation?
Unread 04-11-2001, 08:29 AM
Weight gain

Hi Bellena,

I asked the same question to my doctors and this forum a few weeks ago (I am 9 weeks post-op). From what I understand, the stigma of weight gain after a hyst is due to the fact that during the healing time, we aren't at all active and probably eat more. It may also be due to the fact that many women get a little depressed following surgery (due to temporary hormone changes, exhaustion from the surgery, childbearing issues, etc.) and tend to eat more.

The tip that I got: while you are not able to be active, eat healthy, drink plenty of water, and at least try to walk some (building up slowly and ONLY when the doc says it is ok). Then when you are cleared for more activity, don't wait to start trying to become active again.

There is supposedly no medical reason that we should gain weight after the surgery, from what I understand.

Best of luck!
Unread 04-11-2001, 09:03 AM
Please reply

Weight gain was a concern to me also. I asked the GYN about why women gain weight after a hysterectomy. His reply was "The same reason weight is gained without surgery, too much food not enough exersize." So I'm eating less but nourshing foods and walking often. Hope to be doing other exersizes soon. When my PCP told me I had a tumor that must be removed I started losing weight. I think it was from being so nervious. From 12/30/00 until the day after surgery I lost 23 lbs. I don't plan on having it find me again. I hate the looks of my body with the scars and lumps and hallows. UUGGHH!! I"m sure it will be a big turn off for DH when HDDR. gives the sex OK.
GOOD LUCK IN KEEPING THE POUNDS DOWN!

Lolubu

TAH/BSO ugly very large fibroid gone
Unread 04-11-2001, 09:17 AM
Please reply

Bellena - I had tah/bso March 2000...so a little over 1 year post...actually lost about 10 lbs. and have kept it off.
Unread 04-11-2001, 09:58 AM
That dreaded weight gain!

I lost 6 pounds initially when I went for my 1 week check up (I think that's probably what my uterus weighed ), however, when my mom came to visit me, all we did was go out and eat junk food. So, sorry to say, I think I gained more back than I originally weighed pre-surgery. I'm hoping to get more active once I'm cleared next Monday to usual duties. I plan on swimming daily (we had a pool built in Jan) to get some exercise, as I hate working out. I figured I was hyper enough !

I love to eat and I just can't seem to stop now that I'm home alone and nothing much to do. I have things to do, I just don't wanna do them. LOL I'd rather eat.
Unread 04-11-2001, 10:03 AM
even keel

My plastic surgeon and my GYN told me while healing, I am not to change my diet. So for the first ten weeks I haven't, and I haven'y lost or gained, just kept the same weight. I know I have healing to do, as the muscles are still the tenderest part; but I am cleared to do all the activities I like now. My GYN told me that women who go into menopause who don't take HRT are more prone to weight gain than those that don't. My surgeons are very pleased with my healing, so I had to have done something correctly.
I think I was kidding myself in thnking all the organs I had removed and the tummy tuck would make a dent in the weight; not one ounce! So now I have to work out daily, change my diet. It's hard, but worth it!
Unread 04-11-2001, 12:05 PM
Please reply

I will be 4 wks post-op tomorrow for a TAH BSO and have lost about 4 lbs. I didn't have much of an appetite for the first 3 wks..would get hungry, but a very small meal would fill me right up. I also drank tons of fluids. And now I would normally be PMS'ing and find that I'm not craving chocolate like I normally would!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register