CBS Morning shows and ovca | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CBS Morning shows and ovca CBS Morning shows and ovca

Unread 12-13-2005, 09:14 AM
CBS Morning shows and ovca

Our local early morning show had a piece from the national CBS station this morning on the correlation of drinking green tea and it's preventing ovca.

Also, the CBS Early show was going to feature probably the same piece that ran locally. I had to leave for work, so i missed the CBS Early Show.

Did anyone catch it???

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2005, 09:53 AM

The following 3 links were sent to me a few days ago regarding your post, Lori:

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/heal...out529624.html
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051212/nym201.html?.v=27
http://kyw.com/seenon/local_story_346151058.html
Unread 12-13-2005, 10:14 AM

I did not catch the news show, but our paper this morning had an article about this. It said Swedish researchers did a study invoving 61,057 women who answered a questionnaire about their diets and were tracked for an average of 15 years through 2004.

During that time, 301 women developed ovarian cancer. Those who reported drinking two or more cups of tea a day were 46 percent less likely to develop ovarian cancer than women who drank no tea. The researchers did not break out the results by tea types, but most of the tea drinkers consumed black tea. Both black and green tea contain polyphenols - substances thought to block cell damage that can lead to cancer.

It said previous studies have yielded conflicting results, so more research is needed to sort out the inconsistencies.

Their study was published in Monday's Archives of Internal Medicine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2005, 10:21 AM

This may also be the reason why so few Asian women get ovca?????
Unread 12-13-2005, 12:08 PM

Dunno. . . but it's been a big hit in today's news in the UK (England) - "drinking two cups of tea cuts OVCA risk by 46%"

Oh well . . .can cite links if anyone is interested.

But I have a feeling. . .. well, maybe if this was male cancer we'd KNOW more, instead of relying on research with only 36 women involved.

Sigh

Love to all who are here, and esp HUGS to those who make us realise the unthinkable, consider the unlivable, and get the tests, checks etc to find out whether we have the "unmentionable"

H (all my life, no one has ever mentioned ovca to me. My surgeon, who was doing a hyst. for other reasons, bless him, checked my ovaries "just in case" . . long story)
Unread 12-13-2005, 12:33 PM

I have also see reports that green tea can cut breast cancer risk, as well as other cancers. It's available in supplement form at health food stores if you can't manage more than a cup a day...
Unread 12-13-2005, 03:22 PM

Wow....There was also an article in Newsday today, the Long Island Newspaper, about tea and ovarian cancer. If I recall it talked about black tea and not green tea. Will reread the article.
Rosalie
Unread 12-13-2005, 03:41 PM

Shoulda,woulda, coulda ....why doesn't somebody do some conclusive studies on how to diagnose and cure this mystery disease instead of some obscure what if scenario on a few women?

I am a relatively healthy person who has tolerated chemo incredibly well, and yet I'm told there are no clinical studies, no second look surgery, not much that can be done. I agree, if this was a men's disease they'd be doing handstands to cure this.

Sorry, if I sound grumpy (but it's because I am!)

Blessings
Unread 12-16-2005, 11:35 PM

Which men's diseases get lots of funding and attention? My husband's father, and a bunch of uncles, had prostate cancer and I can find next to nothing on it. I worry about prostate cancer because I know how many men die each year from it and because I have a husband who I'd like to keep around, and two sons. So it worries me. In men, the leading cancer killers are:
1. Lung
2. prostate
3. colorectal
4. liver

I never hear anything about prostate and it kills 29,000 men per year!

For women the leading cancer killers are:
1. Lung
2. breast
3. colorectal

Breast cancer kills 40,000 a year, prostate kills 29,000, ovarian kills 16,000, yet breast cancer gets way more funding than ovarian and prostate cancers combined. So I don't think it's a gender issue. I think it's the same reason that AIDS gets more funding and research than ovarian cancer, even though the number of people who die, in the US each year, from AIDS and ovarian cancer is equal. My best guess for why some diseases get lots of money for research, and some do not, is that squeaky wheels get the grease. Support for AIDS research and breast cancer research are very well organized and very noisey about their diseases. They have hundreds of people on the Hill to lobby for them. They get lots of publicity. AIDS and breast cancer organizers have lots of fundraisers, lots of protests, many marches, and much publicity. I don't see any of that for prostate cancer. AIDS and breast cancer are the 'in' diseases, even though heart disease kills 10 times more people than any cancer. Lung cancer kills more than both breast cancer and AIDS, combined, by a factor of 5. Lung cancer also kills more than breast cancer, prostate, and colorectal, combined. It kills 157,000 a year.

Sorry for the rant. It bothers me when people think that men's diseases get the funding and research, because they don't. Men aren't good at organizing, lobbying, protesting and marches. So prostate cancer does not get the funding that breast cancer and AIDS gets, even though prostate kills more people than either of those diseases.

So, why is no one doing 'handstands' to cure prostate cancer? It is most definitely a man's disease. I sure hope they start doing something before it gets my husband, or yours. Or our sons.

Again, pardon the rant. I'm overly sensitive on this issue because of what men's cancers have done to my family and the lack of funding and research. Sorry!
Janie

Edited to add: You can find all the stats at the CDC website. www.cdc.gov It's a very interesting website if you can wade through it to find what you want.
Unread 12-17-2005, 06:11 AM

It's only natural for us to think that the cancers or other diseases that have affected us personally (or our loved ones) are the ones most in need of more research dollars, clinical trials, media attention, better screening tests, better treatments, a cure, etc. There are so many diseases all fighting for a "slice of the monetary pie."

I think we all could make our own personal arguments for more funding, and unfortunately, we would probably all be right, because one life lost is too many as far as I'm concerned. However, if you're only looking at the numbers of cases and deaths annually, it would seem logical that the cancer that is causing the greatest loss of life should get the largest piece of the pie. This is not anywhere close to happening.

The biggest killer in this country is lung cancer. Janie's figures presented above are actually lower than the American Cancer Society's. According to the ACS for 2005, there were estimated to be 163,510 deaths from lung cancer. To put this in perspective, in 2005, the ACS estimates that there will be 16,210 deaths from ovarian cancer. So, more than TEN TIMES as many people will die from lung cancer as from ovarian cancer. Lung cancer does not have anything remotely approaching adequate funding levels. It receives only a fraction of the funding that breast cancer does, despite the fact that breast cancer results in about 1/4 of the number of deaths each year that lung cancer does.

Why? There are not that many lung cancer survivors around to be advocates. Most of them die from their disease within a short period of time. Lung cancer also carries a lot of shame, and the public is not outraged by the high number of deaths because it is often assumed that the people caused their own problems by smoking. Of course, the number of non-smoke-related lung cancer deaths continues to climb each year, quite unnoticed to most members of the public. Perhaps Dana Reeve's recent lung cancer diagnosis will mean a change in the dismal situation for lung cancer in the future. If she only does one tenth of what she and Chris did for spinal cord injuries it will be a huge step forward.

It's unfortunate and unfair that we have to rely on famous people to bring media and government attention to a disease before funding follows, but my best friend since I was eight years old always reminds me that "life is not fair."

MoeKay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register