LAVH on 12/19/05-help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH on 12/19/05-help! LAVH on 12/19/05-help!

Unread 12-13-2005, 05:19 PM
LAVH on 12/19/05-help!

Hello to all at Hystersisters:
I am really thanking God that I found this web sight! I have already cried a few times reading the different things, prayers, poems etc.
I have a few things that I am concerned/scared about.
I am a student and I am on break right now. My Dr. undrestands this and has squeezed me in for 12/19. He specializes in LAVH and is "pretty sure" that he can do the hyster this way. He assures me that 4 weeks is good for recovery! I MUST be back in school on 1/18.
I graduate in May 2006 and have come sooo far!! I have a 3-1/2 month pregnant-size uterus. I have a history of excessive bleeding that put me in the hospital in the spring for 2 transfusions and an ablation to hold me over since I was in school. I am better now. My counts are up but I am bleeding/spotting again and have been since September. I know that a hyster is in the plans but I am hesitant at this time! I could just get it over with or wait until May and hope that I don't start massively bleeding again! I also don't know if I should keep my cervix or not?? Does it hold up the vagina better if its there or can it cause small bleeding b/c partof the uterus may still be attached?? (that's what my doc said ) I am getting nervous b/c time is running out and I just don't know what to do? Help! hisgrace247
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2005, 06:26 PM
LAVH on 12/19/05-help!

hisgrace,
This is how my LAVH went, GREAT. I did not keep my cervix, my doc said that I couldn't b/c to do the LAVH he had to remove the cervix to get to the uterus. Anyway, I had a fibriod that was equal to a 2 1/2 month preg. Pretty big. Anyway, I also had to deal with being very anemic so I had to stay in the hospital an extra day. Not so bad. I have to tell you, by the end of the first week I felt like a new person, I had so much energy I wanted to go, go, go. But I did what the doc said and took it somewhat easy. It was kind of hard since my hubby is a fireman and he is gone 24 hours at a time so that left me to deal with the kids. As far as you going back to school on time, as long as you relax and take it easy and everything goes the way it is suppose to go you should be fine. The 3rd week was the worst for me. I think that had more to do with the fact that I felt so good I was running around more and maybe over did it. Your body will tell you when enough is enough. Listen to it, not other people who may think they know better how you should feel.
I do have to ask, are you pretty active now. I run several miles a week so that may have help in my recovery. I think the healthier you are before the surgery the better.
Drink lots of water after and walk as much as your body will allow. That will also help with the swelly belly.
Good luck and I pray for you to have a quick recovery.

Melanie
Unread 12-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks!

Hi Melanie:

thanks for your input! I appreciate your responding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2005, 07:33 PM
LAVH on 12/19/05-help!

I also had a LAVH/BSO back in May of this year. I did not keep my cervix b/c I didn't want to risk cervical cancer and I have also heard from more woman that kept their cervix that they had mini periods b/c they kept their cervix. I am not sure what causes this with these women but it is definitely something that I didn't want to deal with. You might do a search on this site if you want to find out more about mini periods and keeping the cervix.

I was released to return to normal activities at four weeks but needed a full six weeks to get completely back to normal activities. I needed the full six weeks to heal completely and feel as though I could do what I wanted. Although it took several months before I was able to do every single thing that I had done prior to surgery.

Are you having your ovaries out? Or are you keeping them? Whichever you decide, be sure and get your hormones tested within a few weeks after surgery to be sure that everything is functioning properly. Sometimes even if you keep your ovaries, they can go into shock and it takes a while for them to recover. I have even read some women had to take a low dose HRT even with their ovaries in place b/c their ovaries weren't functioning properly.

Always listen to your body. It *will* tell you if you are over doing it and you should always take heed to what it tells you and not overextend yourself.

After surgery, you will have to drink a lot of water (as in 6 to 10 cups a day) and rest, rest, rest. The water helps get rid of the extra medicine from the hospital that is still going to in your body.

Walking is a must. Yes, rest. But as soon as you can, walk, walk walk. This gets your strength back and makes you stronger. After about three days, I was only able to walk down the hall and back. After a week, I was walking about 10 minutes around the house and not overdoing it. By 4 to 5 months, I was walking 2 to 3 miles a day. I just *gradually* increased my amount daily and never overdid it and always listened to my body and only did the amount that it could handle.

Also, "Dulcolax" worked great for that first BM when you are away from the hospital. Those first stools can be a tad bit uncomfortable since they had to cut through those muscles to take out everything. It tells you how much to take on the box; was a life saver for me!

Have someone on hand who can run errands for you, do housework, take care of kids, who can help you if you need it, etc. You won't be able to drive for about 2 weeks after your surgery.

Buy some really lose clothes b/c you aren't going to want *anything* touching your tummy area for a few weeks. Sad to say it, but Granny panties that are a size too big are a must!

Oh yeah, all of this being said, having a hysterectomy was the best thing I did for my physical health. No more periods!! No more cramping!! No more emotions that made life unliveable!! There are some things that are hard about having a hysterectomy but I do believe ultimately that God used this to heal me of all of my misery and my awful female problems.

The worst part is waiting. A LAVH is so much less invasive than an open abdominal hysterectomy and healing time is more quick. Be sure you have a prescription for your pain killer drugs; needed those for about two weeks then didn't need it at all.

You may also experience "swelly belly" in which your belly will really swel and get big after you even think about moving or have been busy. This does go down after time. Walking helps decrease this more quickly b/c it strengthens those muscles and makes them stronger. Water drinking also helps it go down. But for a few weeks or even months, your belly will swell some after exercise especially or if you stand too long. It is caused by anything that causes the blood in that area to flow quickly and it makes it swell. Be sure you have really lose fitting clothes for those first few weeks in order to accomodate this swelling. Wearing clothes that are too tight can exasperbate it and make it worse.

Until the surgery date, stay busy!! Write a list of things to be done or that need to be done prior to surgery and organize a certain number of chores to be done on each day before surgery. Staying busy will help you not dwell on it.

You will do well and it is totally normal to be worried and scared..Heck, you sound much more together than I did when I was as close to surgery as you are. Think positive thoughts. Be optimistic. God will take care of you and I *know* that you will be fine.

Please feel free to PM me if you need someone to listen or you have any questions.

Sending and s your way.
Mustang30
Unread 12-13-2005, 09:33 PM
LAVH on 12/19/05-help!

Hi Mustang30

Thanks so much for responding! I really appreciate it! I am trying to keep a busy as possible this week. With Chistmas coming, it's not hard!
My shopping is done, wrapping is not! I'll be in touch! hisgrace247
Unread 12-14-2005, 09:04 AM
LAVH on 12/19/05-help!

Hi hisgrace247!
I had LAVH last week and I feel really good. My Dr. took my cervix due to history of bad paps. Also some of the women here have said they experience "mini periods" when they kept their cervix.
It all depends on your history and your Dr.'s opinion.
Be sure to ask your Dr. any questions you have and voice all of your concerns.
All the Best,
Laurie
Unread 12-14-2005, 09:50 AM
LAVH on 12/19/05-help!

Hello hisgrace...

You'll get tired of hearing this, but please share your concerns with your doctor. Weigh the pros and cons of having the surgery now vs. having it in May with him/her. My gyn told me that my TVH/BSO will mean about 3 - 4 weeks I may feel well enough to return to work half days with a full day return sometime after 5 or 6 weeks. It all depends...on how the surgery goes, on how well I bounce back/heal, and how well I take care of myself.

Please know what you do have control over during your recovery...drinking lots of water, resting, and walking enough to encourage healing not discourage it! Keep in mind that you won't be able to carry a backpack full of textbooks around at four weeks recovery time!

Hang in there and know that we all pray for the best for you no matter what decision you make!

blueeyedartist
Unread 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM
LAVH on 12/19/05-help!

The cervix always goes in a LAVH. You don't have the option to keep it for a LAVH, so if you want to keep it, you'll have to discuss another type of surgery to keep it, if you really want to.

Mine's gone and my main concern was pelvic support. My Dr. said my pelvic support is even better now. My vagina is also secure. No problems there So I guess everything is secure now. Feel fantastic!!!

Mustang30 gave you some good advice. So, no sense in me saying the same thing Take good care of yourself and good luck with your surgery!!!
Unread 12-14-2005, 06:22 PM
LAVH on 12/19/05-help!

As has already been stated, talk to your dr about your concerns about returning to school after your hyst. Ideally, it might not be a problem. But many ladies don't feel quite up to par for an extended period of time after their hyst. Each of us are unique individuals and we all heal differently.

And whether or not you keep your cervix is another issue to discuss with your dr. This is a very controversial topic, with a vast array of opinions. Here is a link to a thread about this issue https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ghlight=cervix. Note that there is a post on this thread stating the types of laporoscopic hysts you can have AND keep your cervix, if you are able to find a dr who can do this very specialized procedure. There are links in the post for the two types of surgery.

You can search for cervix and LAVH with the search tab to find other posts about these two topics. Additionally, in our recources there is information: LAVH Recources, Cervix Resources.

Best wishes to you for your decisions. I hope you are able to find support here at the site.
Unread 12-14-2005, 09:14 PM
LAVH on 12/19/05-help!

I had a TAH last Friday and go back to school Jan. 16th ish.(I'm not a Dr.but,) You should do fine if you don't push it and rest between classes. Maybe take a cushion too! Class room seats aren't too comfy! Good luck, Patty

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register