Back again, whats next? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back again, whats next? Back again, whats next?

Unread 12-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Back again, whats next?

Hi. Helen here and back after my doc said see you in 3 mos. I'm scheduled for the o1/10.

I called hosp. and Dr's to ask about the "no driving rule" and they both said it has nothing to do with the meds so I'm good to drive myself home.

When I had my myomectomy in 02, my roomy had a hyst and on discharge day the nurse mistook us for one another and handed me her stack of scripts and it was a handful.
I only needed a pain med.
Wondering if I'm coming home from hyst witha huge stack of meds.
Thanks ladies for being here,
Helen
cin3, now cin1,3leeps, 1cone, myo in 02, yadayada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Back again, whats next?

Hi Helen, do I understand that the dr said that you could drive yourself home from the hospital after your hyst? That really doesn't sound right to me; very often we're told to have someone drive us even after just some testing. A hyst, no matter which type, is major surgery. I think that I'd try to have someone there to do the driving anyway

I didn't have a pile of of scripts - just 2. One was a pain med and the other was an anti nausea med. Each person is different so you might have just a couple or several.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 12-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Back again, whats next?

I would not dare drive myself home! My doctor told me not to drive till i had no pain, and that was at about week 3 out of surgery. I had a TAH/BSO but i imagine that it would be the same for any kind of surgery. I only got 2 scripts too. One for percocet and one for 800mg Ibuprofen. I personally would be concerned about my doctors orders. Hope everything goes great for you. Take care of yourself and happy holidays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Back again, whats next?

HelenAli,

Did they say that the "No Driving" rule doesn't apply to you?

I think you might want to call back for clarification. My understanding was that the "no driving" rule is because sitting up, and especially using the brake can be very uncomfortable. Not to mention, your reflexes are much slower from anesthesia. Please reconsider. Even if you don't have the large incision on the outside, the inside is still very tender. Your body will be using all it's available energy for healing and even walking to the bathroom can be exhausting.

I only had one script for a pain pill.

s,
Kay
Unread 12-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Back again, whats next?

Did your doctor actually tell you that you could drive yourself home from the hospital or did you assume that you could? I agree with the other sisters, and I say this, "DO NOT drive yourself home from the hospital!" I also had an LAVH and there is NO WAY I would have driven myself home. You might have just 3 small external incisions, but you have the same procedure internally as an abdominal hyst. I would suggest you call the doctor's office again.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Back again, whats next?

Hi Helen! I completely agree with the other sisters. Do not drive yourself home!!!! Not only might you be tender, but if you do have any type of narcotics and drive, you are at risk of getting a DUI (driving under the influence). I read an article from a person that was taking prescription pain pills (I believe they were tylenol 3's), got into an accident and was charged with a DUI, she never knew that prescribed narcotics could get you a DUI. Please Helen, have someone drive you home. My Dr. told me that I could drive as soon as I was not taking the narc's and felt comfortable with it. I had my surgery 8 days ago and will probably attempt to drive in the next couple of days, as my pain is minimal and I am able to move feet quickly without pain. Good luck to you Helen! Take Care!
Unread 12-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Back again, whats next?

Whoa! Please call the hospital and your Dr. and clarify this. I was told nothing for 2 weeks after my hysterectomy and I just had second surgery where they did just as much work in that area and was told not to drive while I was on pain meds. I was in the hospital 7 days and I was in no way able to drive had I been given the OK. Very week and uncomfortable just riding home. Don't plan on this. If you drive on pain meds, it is the same as driving while drunk.
Unread 12-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Back again, whats next?

Helen, please ask someone to drive you home after your surgery, even if the Dr does say it's ok. You will have hundreds of internal stitches, if you need to brake suddenly or need to turn your body quickly you risk popping those stitches that can cause hemorrhaging. Normally if all is ok you can resume driving after 2 weeks. I had a few complications and could not drive for 5 weeks and even then my Gyn pretended his hands were break pedals and tested my reaction time, pressure and checked to see if I had any abdominal pain with the sudden movement. Not driving yourself home is for your protection as well as others because you will be on pain medication and even prescription strength motrin can make you drowsy. You have probably not had your preop testing yet so when you do make sure you get a clarification on your restrictions for recovery. Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Michelle
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:17 PM
Back again, whats next?

OH MY! please do not consider driving yourself home.
My DR was VERY clear about weight restrictions with me. I have TAH and for the first week or two I was not to lift, pull, push or move anything heavier than my teamug. That included my purse, the car door, the steering wheel and the dog.
No matter what type of hyst you have, you will be in some sort of pain, even if it's controllable with OTC meds (tylenol, advil), there will be some sort of swelling AND you will have lots of internal stitches or cauterizations. You will not be able to brake or swerve as if you did not have these things. Anaesthetic takes more than a day or two to work out of your system.
Even if you think you can drive and that you won't hurt yourself, think of the others on the roads. IF there is no one to pick you up, please call a taxi.

Autumn
Unread 12-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Back again, whats next?

Hi Helen I Agree With The Sisters Also Ive Not Had My Hyst Yet But Have Had 2 C Sections And Its The Same As Abdom Hsy Almost The Incision I Couldnt Drive For 3-4 Weeks They Cut Your Muscles And It Takes A While To Heal . Also In My Pamplet It Says Several Weeks Before Resume Driving Please Dont Drive You Could Injur Youself .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register