Surgery to be scheduled-abdominal hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery to be scheduled-abdominal hyst Surgery to be scheduled-abdominal hyst

Unread 12-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Surgery to be scheduled-abdominal hyst

Hello everyone,

I'm kind of new here. I joined a year ago and now I'm back. I had my consultation today with my OBGYN and got the go ahead for a hysterectomy. They will be scheduling it in the next 4-6 weeks.

A year and a half ago I had a lap to find out what was causing my painful periods. Turned out that I had endometriosis. A very large one connecting my left fallopian tube to my uterus and several smaller ones scattered around my abdomen and on one of my ovaries. I also have very heavy bleeding during my periods. After the lap, my doc expected 40-60% improvement, but the pain came back after a few months. Then I got pregnant with my third child so I didn't have to worry about it for a while.

Now, I've had several periods since my baby and I can tell that it is coming back. I took so much ibuprofen last week that I have a rebound headache this week. So I decided to go ahead and request the surgery. My doc went through all the options with me and suggested the next step would be to take a course of Lupron. But I do not want to preserve fertility at this point. I told him I was done with it and at the point that I wanted it all out. So, he said he didn't have any problems going ahead and doing it but said the insurance company might not want to pay for it without trying all options first. I have tried several types of birth control pills/shots and then had the lap and burned out most of the endo, but nothing helped that much and the birth control made me depressed.

What I'm a little concerned about is that my doc said he would want to do an abdominal hysterectomy in order to examine my ovaries carefully to determine if they should be removed because of the endo. In my mind, I had imagined that I would have a vaginal hyst. and keep my ovaries. Both my doc and I hope that I can keep at least one of them. I'm 32 and definitely do not want to go into menopause if I can avoid it.

Has anyone else had an abdominal hysterectomy lately? Also, has anyone had a spinal instead of general anethesia? I hate coming out of anethesia and my aunt suggested having a spinal (that's what she did when she had her hysterectomy). I'll have to ask about it, but I don't imagine they'd do that for abdominal surgery.

Thanks for the board and the support!

Ursula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2005, 09:58 PM

I had a tah/bso with an epidural, wanted a spinal, but the A-man suggested this would be better. They leave it in after the surgery and can give you pain meds through it for a day or two if need be. If I had to do it again, definately go epidural.
Unread 12-14-2005, 10:33 PM

Hi Ursula
I also had a TAH with a General.
Left Ovary removed due to endo, kept right one.
My DR went abdominal so she could see about the condition of my ovaries. Also, she was concerned about a cyst that was also on my left ovary. We were unable to determine if the growth was inside or outside (it was hard to tell from all the scans).
I was off narcotics on day 2, took a handful of regular or Xstrength tylenol.

Autumn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register