New member - just got my op date | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New member - just got my op date New member - just got my op date

Unread 12-15-2005, 03:00 PM
New member - just got my op date

I will have both my ovaries and the uterus removed on 1/26. I have a cyst on one ovary but both my mother and maternal aunt had breast cancer, so my doc recommended to take them both out. I also have some fibroids on my uterus, so that will go as well.

I am originally from Germany, and there one is kept in the hospital for about 2 weeks after this operation. I am surprised that here in the US they throw you out after about 4 days?

Anyway, still 6 weeks to go. I am not worried bout the operation so much as about the 6 weeks recovery after that. I am a very active person and run our household (only my husband and me), and not being able to cook, clean and drive is already driving me nuts! thanks for listening. Does it REALLY take 6 weeks???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2005, 03:17 PM

You don't mention how your doctor is going to do the surgery, I am assuming abdominally.

If so, then YES it takes every bit of six weeks to recover! I am at 5 1/2 weeks now and still have my good days and bad.

You will notice that after about 2 - 3 weeks you will begin to feel better and want to try to do things, just remember to take it very slow as you only have one chance to heal from this surgery.

There are checkpoints listed on this website that will guide you as to when you should be able to do and what you definitely should not be doing. They were so helpful to me.

Good Luck to you! Wow! 2 weeks in the hospital in Germany??? The insurance companies in the USA would freak out if they had to pay for more than 3 or 4 days!
It's amazing really!
Unread 12-15-2005, 03:20 PM

Hi Anna ~ Gee, I wish they would allow 2 weeks hospital stays here in the U.S. !! My doctor told me to plan on staying one night, maybe 2, if I have any complications. I am trying to get a "date" set up for my surgery. I think it may be Jan. 9th (which happens to be my 45th birthday!! =) I am anxious to just get it done and over with though!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Hi,
I had a TVH, (vag. hyst) and it was 6 1/2wks before I was able to go back to work (desk job).
Either way, you will need time to recover. You will be very tired, and sore, at first. After about 2wks, ( as PJL said), you will probably start to feel better, but please do not over do it. this will be your friend for a little bit!
and all the best on your upcoming hyst! LL
Unread 12-15-2005, 03:52 PM

I had a TVH. A cyst was removed from my right ovarary vaginally also. If the ovaries were unhealthy, they would have been removed vaginally also.

I'm feeling pretty good. I don't bend, push, pull or lift anything over 5 pounds. I do get tired easily, but take care of that with rests.

I was at the castle for 2 days (surgery was on a Tuesday and was released on Thursday).

I'm not planning on returning to work until 1/9th. I have vacation time that starts at the beginning of the year, so I can always extend if I don't feel up to it.
Unread 12-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Abdominal surgery

Girls, thanks for the input so far.

I will have an abdominal surgery with the uterus and both ovaries being taken out. I will keep the cervix. Could not find a definition for this operation on this site.
Unread 12-15-2005, 04:29 PM

Annapurna-
Interesting that your doctor suggests taking your ovaries out because your mother and aunt had BREAST cancer. I had no idea that there was a link between breast and ovarian cancer. My mother has had breast cancer twice, and at no time have I been told that this puts me at a higher risk for ovarian cancer. I am electing to keep my ovaries since they are apparently healthy at this point in time, although who knows what the gyno will find once they get inside of me. Just my 2 cents worth.

And welcome to Hyster Sisters. I LOVE this site.
Unread 12-15-2005, 09:09 PM

How long after returning home from the hospital are you able to sit up on a chair?
Unread 12-15-2005, 10:56 PM

I sit down gently, but I could do it right away.
Unread 12-16-2005, 06:55 AM

I would think that it depends on how your surgery is done. I had an abdominal incision but sat up right away. I was more comfortable upright than lying down.

The first few days are the hardest, but after that it gets easier as each day passes.

Just remember to take it easy not matter what you do. You should be resting, drinking lots of water and taking short walks.

Best Wishes to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register