Dec 19 - TVH with 24 hr stay - EEEEEK!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dec 19 - TVH with 24 hr stay - EEEEEK!! Dec 19 - TVH with 24 hr stay - EEEEEK!!

Unread 12-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Dec 19 - TVH with 24 hr stay - EEEEEK!!

I was a little nervous about this, it being my first major surgery, but when I realized my surgery is scheduled for Monday at 9am and I have to be released by 6:30am the next morning - insurance says so - I got a little freaked. I don't know if it's because I want to be in a medical facility as much as I DON'T want to be at home around my demanding family. I'm not sure that they will be tolerant of my laying in bed and having to be waited on for a few days. I have a few friends that said they would check on me, but they work and I hate to bother them during the holidays.

I'll be ok, won't I?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2005, 03:20 AM

You may want to check and see if the doc can make arrangements for an extra day or two if necessary... I've had that done before. The insurance would say 24 hours only... but then the doc would call and get them to approve more time. I'm not sure exactly how they do it, but I'd check into it.
Best of luck,
Kate
Unread 12-16-2005, 06:50 AM

You WILL be okay, I did the same thing!!Last week....check out the message I sent ya! Don't worry !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2005, 09:01 AM

I had my LAVH/BSO at 1 pm and was home by 2:30 the next day....

Maybe print out the checkpoints for your family to study - they need to understand what you'll be going through.

Best wishes - you'll be fine!
Unread 12-16-2005, 09:46 AM

I have occupied myself with printing out FAQs and suggestions to pin to the bedspread. I'm tired of trying to get all the laundry done, all the groceries shopped, all the Christmas decorations up, all the flowerbeds with tender plants covered in case of a freeze, all the .......... who am I kidding? I'm not Christmas shopping unless it's online and direct delivered.
Unread 12-16-2005, 10:17 AM

I arrived at the hospital at 2pm on Dec 7. My surgery was scheduled to start at 4pm. Due to my surgeon needing to follow another surgeon (who was running very behind) on a patient, my surgery didn't start until 7:20pm. That's 31 hours I had to go w/out eating. Don't think I didn't tell people not to get too close as I may start gnawing on their arm. But anywho, surgery lasted all of 20 minutes (TVH leaving the ovaries). I stopped using my morphine pump around 3am. When my doctor made his rounds at 7:30am he checked me over, ask me how I was doing, and said I could leave whenever I wanted. He ordered the cathater (sp) and IV removed and I was free to go. I chose to stay until 3 pm (the timing worked out best this way for my ride and gave me a little more quiet time away from the kids who are 3 and 5). I guess it all depends on the doctor, the hospital, and how well you are healing and dealing with the pain.
Unread 12-16-2005, 01:36 PM

Barring any terrible complications you should be fine to leave within 24hrs. Also, your 24hrs doesnt start until youre in your own room; not sure why your insurance says you have to be discharged by 630am-thats not true. Heck, most Dr's havent even gotten out of bed yet to make their morning rounds.

Dont fret about it; you'll be fine.

good luck
diana
Unread 12-16-2005, 01:50 PM

Hi!
Can somebody restrict my posting privileges after 1am please??? I read that as TAH not TVH. You will still neet LOTS of rest and pampering though--this is still major surgery and important not to over-do it. Sorry if I upped your stress which was already up. Docs can work with the insurance though--if necessary.
Hope all goes well.

Kate
Unread 12-17-2005, 12:58 AM

Don't worry, Kate! I'm not more stressed - actually, seeing the options for action listed here makes me feel empowered. I guess I had a rush of being overwhelmed - and dismay at having to be up so early! As if I will really know what time of day it is

Thank you for caring, Dear
Starlet
Unread 12-17-2005, 04:21 PM

I would definitely check with your Dr. about this. Insurance companies will look at extended hospital stays if requested by the Dr. However, to give you some sunny news...I had a TVH Tuesday (13th) at 3 p.m. and was home on Wednesday (14th) by 5 p.m.

The worst part was waking in the recovery room and I could not get more meds yet. Second worst...sleeping well and being interupted every couple hours by nurses

Hugs,
Jen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register