How long did you wait and what made you decide? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long did you wait and what made you decide? How long did you wait and what made you decide?

Unread 12-17-2005, 05:45 AM
How long did you wait and what made you decide?

I've waited over 10 years to make this decision. It always seemed as the new treatment options came about for fibroids, my fibroid was too large to be a candidate. It got to the point I just stopped even going in to see the doctors. I was tired of hearing about hyster...

Well, I am finally to the point that I can't cope with another monthly of shear pain. I saw the GP and am trying to get in to see one of the doctors she recommended. I am glad I found this website. I thought I had done a lot of research into what to expect, but you all have filled in lots of the blanks!

It seems my biggest challange is going to be finding enough family and friends to stay with me the first 2 weeks. The thought of being alone and feeling that bad is not something I am looking forward too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2005, 06:15 AM

I had no choice in the matter. I had Dysplasia (pre-cancer) of the cervix. I went through 2 years or more of heavy bleeding , went for a pap and they found bad cells.
So, I had a little over one months warning, I had it done, and Im so thankful. Im almost 5 weeks post op, still recovering and I get tired easy, but each day I count my blessings. Best wishes to you !
Unread 12-17-2005, 06:22 AM

I had no choice either. But I'm sure glad it's done. I really feel different. I'm laughing again. What's that?! I waited 9 years to address this, and over 4 months for the op. I can totally see a "new beginning" for me. It's not that bad either. Depending on what you have done. I had a tvh last monday. Was home tuesday morning. Felt great by friday, only extra strength tylenol. I'm totally fine. The hardest thing to remember is to take it easy, because I don't even feel like I had surgery anymore. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2005, 06:49 AM

I sure hope I don't have to wait 4 months for surgery! It is bad enough I am going to have to go through another monthly before I can see the dr.!

Well, for much of this it is a wait and see, even now. I won't know much until I talk to the dr. Last March '05 I had to go the the ER for an unrelated reason and because I was so out of it at the time I authorized a CAT scan of my brain and belly. Well the belly scan revealed the tumor was the size of a soccer ball! At that time I was have symptoms, but they were still managable. Besides, another issue was more important to be dealt with at the time.

As usual the drs got more excited over the fibroid. One dr. was even yelling at me about it. It was maddening at the time. Oh well, now it is all water under the bridge.
Unread 12-17-2005, 08:00 AM

Hi, Tilei - I waited over a year, during which time my tumor doubled in size, so only abdominal surgery was possible. I researched a lot before committing to the surgery, and now that I am five weeks post-op, I can say with certainty that I am glad I had it. My recovery has been excellent and I will return to my job as a school psychologist in 2 weeks ( a total of 7 weeks off). The first two weeks are the hardest, but every day I saw improvement. Being well-prepared for the surgery mentally, emotionally and physically is important - and so is being prepared for recovery time. Don't make yourself more scared than you need to be about this surgery - it's not a walk in the park, but it's not so terrible, either. Good luck to you!
Unread 12-17-2005, 09:24 AM

I live in Ontario, Canada. Where all you do is wait to see drs. Mine was worth the wait, but it was frustrating to say the least.
Unread 12-17-2005, 01:42 PM

I too was scared, can't take the pain anymore. I'm 36 and everyone has said I should wait, till they saw me three weeks ago, anemic, vomitting, and tears pouring down my face, not my prettiest state!
I still have bouts of doubt, but I don't have any other option anymore. I have 2 kids and a dh, lots of family, but getting someone to watch over me will be tough. I plan on sleeping a lot, bed to couch, couch to bed...(bathroom is in between them!)My 30 year old nephew/close friend/comedic entertainer is out of work at the moment and has volunteered to hang out with me, and entertain the kids. Hes a good cook too, and my husbands best friend. Hes also going to play messenger to and from my office at my dads house 4 acres away. hehehe He'll tire of me right if I don't find him humorous. I'm actually looking forward to some quiet time, but I'm afraid of that too because I will have too much time to dwell. Gonna stock up on some good historical war romance novels, maybey some mysteries too. With my luck the doorbell won't stop ringing and everyone will want to hang out in my messy house and drive me nuts lol.
Please let us all know when you get your date, and don't hesitate to send me a note if you need too.
best of luck for speedy recovery
Donna
Unread 12-17-2005, 04:44 PM
oops geographic mistake!

hi everyone. i've not been to the boards in a loooooooooooong time, but today marks my two year anniversary for a LAVH and i just wanted to be supportive to those of you who are in the throes of making your decision.

i waited almost 10 years and tried everything from herbs to estrogen creams (read dr. lee's book and was going to a naturopath), diet changes (bought all the estrogen free meat, etc.), even paid for the travel expenses and500 bucks to have an MRI for a potential UFE only to be told (by one of the premier IR's doing UFE's ) i had adenoymosis (which, actually, as it turns out - i didn't!) and would not be a good candidate for that procedure.

i made my decision after years of the heavy bleeding, the low energy, blood count - after i finally heard my intuitive internal voice say "just do it". i do believe that trying everything helped me get to that point and it was just the right time to make the decision. i was so 'pro-uterus' and got angry everytime i read or heard a male doc say that the uterus was just a "baby house" - i felt like it was sacred and something to treasure. i also was worried that having the surgery would greatly impact my sexual response (which it did not in my case.)

courage to all of you who are pondering the decision - as i have always said - do your homework - take responsibility for the doctor you select - i went out of town to another highly laproscopically skilled surgeon to do my surgery and fully believe my lack of after-effects have had much to do with his skills and precision. ask questions and BE A CONSUMER of him/her, not a VICTIM. you have the right to ask as many darn questions and get names of previous patients and find out statistics, etc. go forward and make decisions based as best you can on both logic AND intuition; don't ignore either one of them; get your spirit and your intellect on the same page before you make a move!

and blessings to all -- the quality of my physical life has improved a hundred fold - my sick leave time at work is almost at the max - before i barely scraped by - i was out at LEAST one or two days a month.

<oops! removed for privacy>

all the best to my sisters on the journey,
angela
Unread 12-17-2005, 06:39 PM

I had cramps a week before and a week after my period. During my less than two day bleeding I would have cramps from you know where. I was excited (in a wierd sort of way) when I would bleed on weekends or vactions. I had tried the birth control and had periods every week instead of once a month. I was miserable and couldn't get answers from anyone. I had been to two GYN's and my GP. My GP at one point, said you have been here for chronic pelvic pain and I didn't really here you. One of the GYN's said, you have ten more years before menapouse and you shouldn't have to live like that. Let me know when you are ready.
I knew that it was time when a few months ago I had cramps so bad I could not function and I decided to take a vicodin that I had left over from an injury. By golly, I was up and actually functioning. Four hours later, mother cramps were back.
That next Monday I called and scheduled the date.
After scheduling, I doubted myself and wondered if I wasn't overeacting, if I should wait, on and on. Even two days prior to surgery I was thinking that I should back out.
My DH convinced me to go through with it. They found huge ovarian cysts, adenomiosis and I had a rectocele (that was more complicated then the Dr. anticipated).
As I am home recovering, some of the pain that I have is much less than the "mother cramps". I can hardly wait to be completely healed and never have to have another period again.
We need to advocate for ourselves 'cuz I don't think that Dr's always get it.
Best wishes to all of you..
Emelia
Unread 12-17-2005, 07:51 PM

Thank you all for sharing. I spoke with afriend from work today and she is recovering at 6 months and is so grateful she did it too. She gave me the name of her doctor as he only does female problems...not all the other stuff too. She feels he saved her life. I'll try calling him on Monday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register