I am getting really scared! 12/20/05 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am getting really scared! 12/20/05 I am getting really scared! 12/20/05

Unread 12-18-2005, 10:19 PM
I am getting really scared! 12/20/05

Ladies I need helping getting these nerves in check! I was doing ok until tonight. I am finding myself already shaking a bit. I can only imagine what tomorrow will bring! Whats worse is my surgery is not until 3:30pm on Tuesday, so I know that morning will be awful. I have had many surgeries and never got this scared. I think I am most scared of the recovery more then anything. Any advice or words of wisdom I would really appreciate the help! I find myself staying on the website. I even have my DH getting ready to go through the MysterSisters section so he understands what I will go through! See you all on the other side!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2005, 04:46 AM

I haven't even had my scheduled and I'm nervous. I want this gone so bad and am terrified of my next period. They have been coming earlier each month, which means I could start with pain Christmas eve!
Financially I couldn't get shopping done till now which doesn't help with the stress.
I went to church yesterday, and found myself crying for no reason, but felt better when I left. I asked god to take it easy on me and to watch over all the sisters too.
Having your husband read the info will help him too. I'm sure hes worried and has a lot of questions. I asked mine yesterday in my round about way if he wanted to go to the pre op with me. He said of course if I wanted him to, I was surprised!
Tell your DH you really need some extra cuddling right now, and tell him your fears, a big hug and extra tenderness from him may help your fear.
Hope your surgery and recovery are speedy and healthy
love Donna
Unread 12-19-2005, 05:03 AM

WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS! 12 noon I get a TAH. I am overweight and my Doctor has already put the fear of recovery complications in me. My attitude, I will cry if and only if I have to. I am a women who has been through H&LL and I am not going to let recovery kick my *****. If my family doesn't pamper me I am going to hit them on the head with my wand! Ok, no I won't but my father had a saying, " tough times don't last, tough people do!" In my eyes, any of us who get to this point are tough people.
I also know that in order to recover I need to be calm and kind to myself. The calmer I am, the quicker I will recover. Plus I really want to prove to my Doctor that I can heal just as good as a skinner person!
Take a deep breath, close your eyes and find your happy place and go there when ever you need to, tell your fears you are very sorry but they are not allowed in there. Think of your "Sisters" we are here for you!
I will pray for your fears to leave you and peace to find you.

See you on the other side!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2005, 05:12 AM

I am sorry you are going through what most all of us do before surgery. I was a wreck for 2 weeks before my surgery. Looking back, its weird how I was so calm the night beofre and the morning of surgery compared to how I was before that.
My spirituality helped me emensely. Try and keep your mind on a good television show, or go shopping or out to dinner. Call your doctor and see if he can give you something to help you sleep the night before.
You are going to do fine, I know it.
I am 5 weeks post op. I do not regret my surgery at all. I am slowly getting better and better everyday. I am fortunate to have had no complications or alot of pain while recovering. Im 48 years old and thought It would be hard on me, but, I am just fine. I know it's easier said then done, but you will do great and it will be over before you know it. The pain is very manageable if you stay on top of it. I had a TVH, so for me, I didn't have hardly any pain at all. The worse part of my surgery was being tired alot and needing to stay down and rest. I still need too, but I'll take this over what I went thru before surgery anyday !
I will keep you in my S,

Best Wishes and we look forward to you coming home !!
Unread 12-19-2005, 05:18 AM

Big girls heal just as fast, I know bc I am one. I am 3 weeks post-op today and I am really starting to feel great. I had a TAH with 32 staples. When I went in to have them removed it was discovered that I was allergic to the stainless steel (who would have know). It was very red and irritated above and below my incission BUT my incission was healing nicely. I never thought the belly pain would lessen but I have to admit I wake up every morning feeling like I can take on the world. Of course by mid afternoon that feeling starts to fade and the swelly belly and ache returns a little. Everyday gets better. REMEMBER: Take it easy, listen to your Doctor, you only have one chance to heal properly and I know that with your spirit you will do just GREAT!!!!!

Raine
Unread 12-19-2005, 06:23 AM

We all know how you feel! The 3 days before my surgery were the absolute worst! I worried about everything- not waking up, pain, my kids homework not getting done. I was a mess. I even painted my hallway the night before the surgery to stop thinking about it!! Most of all I was worried about the recovery too. For me it really was a piece of cake. I had a vaginal and never really had alot of pain. I had a morphine pump for 24 hours then switched to vicodin which I only took for a few days. When I came home I slept and rested. My mother-in-law took care of the kids and the cleaning. Everything that needed to get done got done and what did n't oh well!! I am 5 weeks post op today and fell great! I am still tired by the end of the day and my body tells me when its time to sit done! I was out of my house and driving in 10 days, which really surprised me. Please rest and use your recovery time to pamper yourself. You will recover at your own pace, make sure you take advantage of any help you can get! I think all the resting I did the first week helped me recover so nicely and quickly. Its completely normal to feel the way you do! This is a wonderful site- I still refer to it- it is full of info and alot of nice people. Take care and let us know how you are doing. Nancy
Unread 12-19-2005, 06:55 AM

mrsshardy0414 I am in the same boat as you. I am making myself sick over this surgery and I am not even having mine done until Jan3rd. I have had three c-sections, three major back surgeries and an insicinal herania repair done. So surgery is not new to me but this one scares me to death. I am having everything taken out and the thought of HRT is scary and my family thinks I am coming home just fine. They aren't the least bit concerned about any of this. They think this will be just like all my other times and I will be just fine in a few days. Of course they forget with the back surgery I was in a body brace for three months and out of work for 6 months but hey ..... they think I am supermom and can do anything. My oldest son 17 can image me even being more irritable then I am now. Go figure what a suprise he will have. Good Luck with your surgery and I will keep all of us in my prayers
Unread 12-19-2005, 07:15 AM

it will be ok.. i remember feeling the same way! i had mine done 3 weeks before x-mas 2 years ago.. the recovery time was really easy..going in you think "ok this is a BIG one" but you'll be suprised you'll wake up thinking that wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be...i remember them saying do you want something for pain and me thinking what for this isn't bad at all!!! it will be over before you know it... i'll be praying for and your recovery...
Unread 12-19-2005, 07:29 AM

I know it's easier said than done, but try to keep your mind off "it". Do holiday preps or something. And, here is a suggestion for your "op" day that REALLY helped me. I asked beforehand (another of my sisters in here suggested this!), for something to make me less nervous at the pre-op. The nurse gave me a "magic" pill 45 mins before the surgery. It really helped, so much in fact, that when I went into the OR the first time they had to "bump" me to the next spot because of an emergency. I did not even care, just went back and watched tv. I wasn't the slightest nervous, and trust me, I'm one hyper chicky! Good luck to you! I'll be thinkin of ya!!
Unread 12-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Thank you

Thank you all for your kind words! I will take all of them and use what I can! Like I said in my post I knew I would be crazy today and I really am! I cant even type. I have tons of stuff to do so I guess I better go get it done. I do my bowel prep tonight so I am dreading this as well. I am sure I will be ok! Talk to you soon and will update you all how I am doing.

Melissa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register