anatomy question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anatomy question anatomy question

Unread 12-19-2005, 04:15 PM
anatomy question

just read a post about where it all goes...and someone refered to it being sewed up a like a tube sock...
to make some sense of things...
The uterus, cervix are all inside of the vagina right?-- So when you have a hysterectomy those things come out of the vagina and the vagina stays?
So in other words..something is still there...and its not just an open space left in the body?

Right???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2005, 04:21 PM
anatomy question

Hi There!

When the uterus, ovaries, etc. are removed, the other surrounding organs "assume the space" so there is not a hollow portion in the body.

There is a website that I think will help you understand female anatomy and hysterectomy: www.pelvicfloor.com.

I want to warn you that the photos in the Image Gallery may be upsetting to those with a sensitive stomach, so tread gingerly.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 12-19-2005, 04:21 PM
anatomy question

After the uterus and/or ovaries are removed all the other organs and intestines "shift" to fill in the space - there is not a "big black hole" in the abdomen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2005, 04:40 PM
anatomy question

Good question! My Hubby and family were asking me the same.
Unread 12-19-2005, 04:45 PM
anatomy question

so, when you have sex --the seamen just travel in between the various body organs?
Unread 12-19-2005, 04:49 PM
anatomy question

If your cervix is gone then you have a Vaginal Cuff and that is closed off to the body. Other than that....I don't know.

(take a ballon and that is the uterus and cervix. inflated a little and put it on top of a glass (the glass being the vagina). Take off the ballon and close the glass shut. That is what they did.
I hope that helps!
Unread 12-19-2005, 04:52 PM
i don't get it?

so if the cervix is gone, then there is a closed in space of some sort...otherwise the organs /intestines fill in?

Having a hard time, visualizing this
Unread 12-19-2005, 04:59 PM
anatomy question

Ya, that is why you would have a Vaginal Cuff. To close off the Vagina to the body. That is why you have to becareful and not lift and stuff so that part of you can heal as well. You have a new top to your Vagina with no Cervix.
*** This is why I love this site....You can ask like these!
Thanks Hyster Sisters!
Unread 12-19-2005, 04:59 PM
anatomy question

Technically, they're not "inside" your vagina. They are separate body parts. The cervix is attached to the end of the vagina and sits between the vagina and uterus. The uterus is above the cervix up in your body cavity. If you keep your cervix, the incision is made to remove the uterus right up to the cervix. No extra closure is needed. If the cervix is removed, the incision is made right at the very tip of the vagina and then the top of the vagina is sewn closed, like a tube sock. That's why it's so important when they say "NOTHING IN THE VAGINA" for six weeks, they mean it. If stitches come loose, or you undo some of the doctor's handiwork, then, yes, bacteria can be introduced up into your abdomen. That's also why the doctor usually looks (gently) at your vagina, inside, before he clears you for intercourse. But once it's healed, your vagina is sealed off from your abdominal area - nothing can pass from the vagina into your abdomen. For example, if you douche, it comes back out, it doesn't go anywhere else.

Once the hysterectomy is over and you are stitched up, your intestines spread out and fill in the space. A normal uterus is about the size of an upside down pear and weighs about 80 grams (2 1/2 to 3 ounces). If there are fibroids or other problems, it can be the size of a cantalope or watermelon. My uterus was so large (and it weighed 432 grams) that my bowels and bladder were crowded. They are working so much better, now that they have room to do what they're supposed to do.

I have photos of my surgery, and since my uterus had grown and attached to my rectum, when the doctor went to separate them, the uterus tore right where it connects to the cervix. So I have a picture of my huge uterus, and another picture of the lower part of my uterus, with the cervix attached. As a comparison, I would say the uterus is the rounded part of the upside-down pear, and the lower part of the uterus is the neck of the pear, and where the stem was is where the cervix was. This pear-shaped object sits on top of, and is connected to the vagina. Does this help make any sense of it?
Unread 12-19-2005, 05:03 PM
making sense

yes, making better sense...thanks for expaining!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register