New member with lots of questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New member with lots of questions New member with lots of questions

Unread 12-20-2005, 10:41 AM
New member with lots of questions

Hi everyone. Ive many questions and help and advice is definately wanted and needed.
Yesterday i had my first visit to the hospital after being refered by my GP.
I was told i needed a hysterectomy,everything is being taken away and i am now on the waiting list which is 4 months.
I was in such shock that i didn't actually take much in as my Gp told me i would probably need a D&C!
How is the operation carried out?
How long will i be in Hospital?
How long will i be off my feet?
I don't mind telling you all i am really scared as at 39 i thought i wouldn't have to worry for a while yet!
Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 10:55 AM

Hi Nippy,

You have certainly come to the right place for information.
First of all, we like to recommend 2 additional opinions from Dr's who are unrelated to each other in practice.
Sometimes one dr may see a hysterectomy as the only treatment, while another may be aware of other possible treatments worthy of trying before a hysterectomy. The benefit of the second option is that if other treatments don't work, you can always have the hysterectomy. However, once you have the hysterectomy, there is no going back to try other options.

Here are some links you may want to read: Hysterectomy Options and Pre-Op Articles.

There is always someone here to help you find answers, offer support and just pass out s,

Read and learn as much as you can, so you can make the best decision for you.

S,
Kay
Unread 12-20-2005, 10:57 AM

Hello, nippy and

We're happy you joined the Hystersisters community! There is a ton of solid information on the site, and the members have unlimited hugs to dispense to you at every stage of your journey to good health.

I suggest that you start reading in Checkpoints which should start to answer your many questions, until some of the members come along to share. Checkpoints was designed to accompany you through the "hysterectomy experience" from start to finish, and beyond!

Many s and Best Wishes,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Unread 12-20-2005, 11:01 AM

many thanks i will have a look now
Unread 12-20-2005, 11:14 AM

Nippy,
I'm 35 and two weeks ago today I had a TAH. Yes, it's understandable you're scared, but you will find much useful information on this site and many helpful Sisters. As to your question "How is the operation carried out" you will have to talk with your doctor on this one to see their thoughts/plans. Either you will have it done by laparoscopy or an abdominal incision (and these can be vertical or horizontal). "How long will I be in the hospital" will depend on how the hysterectomy is done, how well you get along after surgery, and your doctor. As for my experience, as soon as I passed gas they were ready to discharge me. (I had a vertical abdominal incision, everything removed. Operation was early Tuesday morning, and they were ready to discharge me Thursday afternoon, but due to a snow storm I stayed until Friday.) "How long will I be off my feet"- well, around here they have you up and walking within 24 hours of surgery. It may be different in the UK?!?! But you won't be down long. You're young, like me, and I 2 weeks post-op and I can do just about anything I want, except lift heavy objects. Now, I'm not released to drive and vacuum, etc, but I feel up to 90%. I'm still a bit tired, but I'm doing pretty good. How each person recovers is individual, but hopefully you'll be encouraged by my experience.

4 months is quite a bit of time to be put on a waiting list! I'm thinking perhaps this is good news and that it must not be that urgent for you to get it done.

Read up on this site and keep asking questions. ;0)

Hope this helps! Merry CHRISTmas!
Unread 12-20-2005, 12:59 PM

Nippy!!!!YOU have come to the right place! ALL your questions will be answered by the time your surgery is here. I also waited 4 1/2 months for my hyst, and by the time I had it last week, I knew everything about it, AND I was alot less apprehensive too! I was so scared when I joined! Ask questions, look around, enjoy it here. It's a great site!
Unread 12-20-2005, 01:51 PM

Hi nippy. You must have so much going round in your head at the moment it must be hard to focus. This site is so valuable you are lucky to find it early on. You will read lots of things on here, a lot you must talk about with the doctor before you have surgery and post op. remember that we all take different times to recover. I am also from the uk you can contact me if you wish, some things seem a bit different as lots are from US. Talking really helps. Good luck.
Unread 12-21-2005, 06:14 AM

hi everyone thanks for your replies,i am most grateful. All of you have a nice day!
Unread 01-02-2006, 04:37 AM

Hi friends.
I hope xmas went well for everyone and 2006 will be your new year. Happy new year!
I have a question? Yep another one!
I woke up this morning with a really sore back ache,it is usual for me to get back ache but only when my period is roughly a week away. As it stands my period is not due for another 2 weeks and even then its always late. The pain is at the bottom of my back. So my question is.........can my early back ache be hysterectomy related? I have not had mine done yet,im still on the waiting list. Thanks to all that read my thread. Have a great day. xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register