They want me to have surgery tomorrow! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

They want me to have surgery tomorrow! They want me to have surgery tomorrow!

Unread 12-20-2005, 11:26 AM
They want me to have surgery tomorrow!

My gyno's office just called. They said that my insurance approved my hysterectomy and could I come in for my pre-op today?

I told her that I am a single parent and I have travel plans over the holiday and I have to see if my family can help my kids get to school the rest of the week, etc.

I asked my mom, who does think that I should get a hysterectomy, but acts like a real drama queen if I ask her for any help, if she would be able to help me if I do it tomorrow. (My doctor and I are planning this whole thing around her vacation from work already.) She said that I would ruin everyone's Christmas and can't I just tolerate it a little longer?

I left a message w/ my kids' other grandparents asking if just the kids might be able to come for Xmas.

Now I have to run and discuss this with my gyno.

Doesn't it seem odd that he would want to schedule it on such short notice?

He says we're going to do the kind where they go in vaginally and codderize everything, as I understand it. I have a history of pre-cancer in my cervix, so I imagine that's going, too. I'll be pretty sore, huh? What should I expect?

Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 11:33 AM

I'm sorry but what do you mean, pre-op today and the actual surgery tomorrow? They usually have you stop all meds before surgery and you also have to do some prep for it at home...let us know how you are and what you find out.
Unread 12-20-2005, 12:55 PM

Wow, that is quick, my prayers are with you and hope you can figure out the family situation!!!!! (Sometimes I think that is the hardest part)
Best wishes,
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 02:46 PM

Yeah, they wanted this appointment this morning to be my pre-op appointment and they wanted me to actually have the surgery tomorrow.

I talked to the doctor about my situation. He felt that I should do it now because then I would have a longer period of time to recover before my kids return to school.

I called my mom from the office on my cell phone and told her that the soonest it could be done after this is January 11. That means, though, that I won't have much time to recover much before my kids' winter break is over. She was really mad.

Long story short, I scheduled it for January 11, 2006. The doctor gave me some pain reliever to get me through until then because the pain just keeps getting more intense. Most of the time I just deal with the pain, but sometimes it's absolutely unbearable.

I'm really sad because I feel like my family is making me feel like such a burden, as if I got sick on purpose to inconvenience them. Then, if I talk to anyone about how I feel, they get really mad.

I'm relieved that there is and end in sight, though. In a few months I'll be better.
Unread 12-20-2005, 03:02 PM

Wow, it sounds like you got hit with a whirlwind. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably have scheduled my surgery in January also. This gives you time to regroup, plan, and enjoy the holidays. I'm glad you've got pain meds to get you through.

I felt like a burden to my family also. I figured that I needed to do what was best for me. Your family will give you help. It may not be the way you'd like it, but they will help.

I wish you all the best and Happy Holidays!

's
Unread 12-20-2005, 03:05 PM

I'm so sorry your family, especially your mom, is making you feel like a burden and that you are in so much pain. I don't quite get the kids on vacation - surgery connection, but I don't have kids, so my mindset is not there. I would think it would be easier for them to be in school all day while you are recovering, but I don't know all the finer points of raising kids!

Just wanted to send some hugs and good thoughts your way. Wishing you pain-free and a peaceful holiday.
Unread 12-20-2005, 03:29 PM

WOW, that sounds fast to me. I have to prepare in my mind... even knowing I have to do this!
My surgery is the same day as yours sister!
I live in California too.
Hang in there, You may not have supportive family, but you have us... we care about you!
Take care, keep us posted! Jan
Unread 12-20-2005, 08:02 PM

I can attest to the family being more of a hinderence than a help. When I tried to line some up, all I got was a "well, maybe your kids can come over one afternoon". No, thanks. I'd rather have my kids home. They are 11 and 13 and can be a bigger help than any other, besides mu DH. Is there some urgent medical reason to try and push it all through so sudden? Anyhoo.....I'm sending you love, hugs, prayers, and strength. You KNOW you have plenty of support here.
Unread 12-21-2005, 04:55 AM

Hi Freemesoon,

I had a TVH almost 6 weeks ago for pre cancer also.
I am amazed how easy the surgery was and hgow fast I bounced back. I am 48 years old and a smoker, so I was very scared.
I had VERY litlle to no pain. I tired easily for a while, but that was nothing compared to how I was before the TVH.
Everyone heals differently. According to my doctor, a TVH is easier then an TAH. you still need to rest and be very careful the first 6 weeks. Rest alot and drink plenty of fluids.
Im sure you will be just fine ! I hope you resolve the issues of getting your children somewhere so you can have this surgery,
Best Wishes !
Unread 12-21-2005, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcj
I'm so sorry your family, especially your mom, is making you feel like a burden and that you are in so much pain. I don't quite get the kids on vacation - surgery connection, but I don't have kids, so my mindset is not there. I would think it would be easier for them to be in school all day while you are recovering, but I don't know all the finer points of raising kids!

Just wanted to send some hugs and good thoughts your way. Wishing you pain-free and a peaceful holiday.
My mom is on vacation and my kids will be, too. If I did it at the beginning of their vacations I would need less help when the kids go back to school because I would have had that vacation time to recover. The way it's scheduled now, I only have one week of my mom's month-long vacation to get help. When she's back at work and the kids have to go to school, I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm a single parent and I can't drive because I have epilepsy. The kids are too young to walk by themselves.

It mostly comes down to transportation.

Thanks for the good thoughts. I still wish I could have done it today. It hurts so much and I'm a little scared of using pain reliever too often.

Something will work out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register