discouraged | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-20-2005, 04:17 PM
discouraged

Hi All,
I'll be 5wks on Thursday, and I'm feeling discouraged. I'm still having pain and thought it would be gone by now. I know I've been doing alot lately, cleaning, little vacuuming, laundry, christmas shopping etc. But I feel like by this point I should be up to it. Am I wrong? I tried just staying in today and wrapping gifts and I still had a good amount of pain. I saw my doc yesterday for my 4wk postop and expressed my concerns. He said there were extensive adhesions that had to be removed and that could prolong the recovery. I had the hyst done due to pelvic pain so I guess now I'm a little depressed that I'm still in pain. Am I expecting too much too soon?? I planned on going back to work at 4wks, but asked for 2more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 04:22 PM
discouraged

My boss said his wife had a tvh and she had soreness for 6 months. I still have pain of course, and I wish I didn't. I don't know when it'll be gone. I have back pain that I'm gonna call my dr about. I'm sure it's surgery related. I feel better every day, some days are better than others for some reason too. Take it easy.
Unread 12-20-2005, 04:38 PM
discouraged

I am wondering of you are doing too much. But everyone is diff. I havent had any pain since I woke up other than kicked in the belly but not a realy pain but cough and wow. and BMs but hey sounds like we all have pain then.
I know I was told NO absolutely NO vacuming at all. and no laundry at all. I know I can tell when I havent rested enough but it is more a heavy feeling and more swelling than pain. Please rest more and try not to do too much as they say we only have one time anbd chance to heal right. I am not going to risk having to rest longer, or end up in hospital again.
take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2005, 04:40 PM
discouraged

Ladies, ladies, you are still very early on in your recovery. Do yourself a favor and take care of yourself and don't overdo. Giselle, my doc said absolutely no vacuuming or lifting for at least 6-8 weeks...no kidding! How you rest now will make the difference in your recovery in the longrun. Hugs, hoping you'll feel better and put your feet up at once.

Lilli
Unread 12-20-2005, 05:34 PM
discouraged

giselle,
5wks is not that far along in your recovery. I still wasn't doing anything at the point you're at. (maybe a little cooking, but that's it!).
Take it easy for now. I'm at 2 1/2 months, and pretty much doing everything (the chores aren't that exciting to me). You'll soon enough get to do all the stuff you are missing out on.
Have some cocoa, and put your feet up. We are only telling you this stuff for your own good.
Take care of you, and don't worry about what you "think" you should be up to doing.
Listen to your s here at the hystersisters.
Have a ! Hope you feel better very soon! LL
Unread 12-20-2005, 07:29 PM
discouraged

5 weeks is still early on, I had a lot of adhesions operated on too, and like you was pretty discouraged that I was still in pain at week 5, even more so when I felt no better week 6, but week 7 there was a big difference, and now week 8 feeling much better, just a little bladder pain (because of the previous adhesions) which is almost gone now too. I wish I had been told before that my surgery had been long and complicated and they expected me to take a little longer to recover. The information I had at seven week check up explained why I had had so much pain and bruising, if I had known this before I would have known why it was taking longer and not worried about it. Dr advised me to not return to work till 12 weeks post op, so six weeks may be far too early for you. Hope you're feeling better soon.
Unread 12-20-2005, 08:25 PM
discouraged

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I had my surgery 3 months ago and still have soreness to the left of my vertical incison.

Dr. says keep taking Motrin.

You are very early in your recovery and what a time of the year to try to be recovering.

Hang in there....time is a great healer

Sweet Pea
Unread 12-22-2005, 07:55 AM
discouraged

What part of no do people not understand? Everyone I have talked to has said their dr. told them not to vaccum. We as patients were given restrictions for a reason. Will we die if the rug does not get swept for six weeks. Will we die if our homes don't look sparkling? The answer is NO! We do more harm then good when we do what we are told not to.This is major surgery, not a teeth cleaning. Ladies I'm just as bugged by my carpets as the next person, but I want to be able to go back to work at 6 weeks, take care of my family. I don't want to chance my recovery just so I can tell someone my floors are clean! So stay healthy and LISTEN to what your dr. tells you.
Unread 12-22-2005, 09:17 AM
discouraged

Hey. I am five weeks today...TAH...I too thought that I would be further along than I am because my work was mainly physical and I figured that would help out in the long run, and I am sure that in some ways it has. However, as I have found out the hard way, doing too much too soon cost! Doc has said, and I hated to hear it, the pain we feel will be pretty constant, more so when we overdo, for at least three months. I said the problem is we feel good and don't realize our bodies still have alot of healing to do inside and we do what needs doing (usually because we are tired of asking and those that were so supportive at the beginning soon tire as they think all is fine and dandy because we look fine on the outside-oh well, that's a whole nother gripe-ha)and there we are again, hurting. So, lot of help I have been, huh? Just know that you are not alone in how you feel and it will get better. I hope that you get to feeling better and that you have a wonderful Christmas!
Unread 12-22-2005, 02:13 PM
discouraged

I also feel you have been doing way too much.
We are at similar timelines - I was trying to walk every day, as I used to do. I got so tired and discouraged as my recovery was much slower than I expected.
I stopped walking (was doing 2km) and have just pottered around home doing Xmas stuff, have been out shopping but only short trips, hardly any housework and am pleased to report that over the past few days I've been feeling a lot better.
I think our bodies are telling us to slow down, everyone heals at different rates and we should just go with the flow.
All the best.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register